I've just returned from the Nautica Ancient Turquoise Seas 12-day cruise from Istanbul to Athens. I have never been a great fan of cruises and over the last 12 years have only been on three others - twice on Royal Caribbean and once on NCL. Oceania is definitely in a class much higher than these other two lines. Since the ports on this cruise have been well covered in other critiques, I'm going to limit this review to the cruise itself and some of the comments that I have read in other reviews and message boards. My dislike of cruising has primarily been against the Las Vegas atmosphere of most cruises, the assigned seating at assigned times for dinner, and everywhere I turn someone trying to force me to join the party. Oceania is nothing like this. Boarding the ship was like becoming a member of an exclusive club. The dEcor is refined, there are no bands playing at every turn, no photographers insisting that you pose as you board and disembark - just excellent service and outstanding food. We boarded in Istanbul earlier than listed on our cruise documents. We had a B1 cabin class, a cabin with a balcony but not on the concierge level. The cabin size was comfortable and adequate and as represented in the brochure - no surprises. Embarkation went smoothly. From the time we were dropped off at the port by taxi it took no more than 5 to 10 minutes to check in and board the ship. We were asked to have lunch in the Terrace Cafe while our cabin was being readied. We made our two dinner reservations at The Polo Grill and Toscana and sat down to eat. After a pleasant buffet lunch, we dropped off our carry-on luggage in our cabin and left the ship to continue sightseeing in Istanbul. As I mentioned before, the service on board was top notch. Everyone was friendly and seemed anxious to please. I want to give special thanks to Christine, our cabin steward who was exceptionally friendly, helpful and efficient. The restaurants were all excellent. I would give the edge to Toscana, but this is just my opinion. In talking to others on board ship it seemed that everyone had a different favorite, but all thought that the food was excellent in each room. Service in Polo Grill and Toscana did seem to be a little more relaxed than in the Main Dining Room, but not significantly so. We did have one night in the dining room that was rushed, but I think that it was more a factor of our waiter than the room itself. We just asked him to slow things down a bit and he did. I only had dinner in the Terrace Cafe once. It was also very good and many of the dishes were the same as what was being served in the main dining room. The nights were often cool on our cruise so eating outside was not usually an option. If you find a waiter in the main dining room that you especially like, you can request a table at his or her station on subsequent visits. It isn't guaranteed, but they will do their best to honor your request. It also didn't seem to matter what time we showed up at the main dining room, we were always seated quickly and usually were able to get a table for two, if requested. I was concerned about being able to get into Toscana and the Polo Grill for more than one visit each since we had a standard cabin. Even though the cruise was full I would go to the restaurant host in the Terrace Cafe in the morning (first thing, if possible) and request a reservation. Each time he told me that the restaurant was booked but I could put my name on a waiting list. Each time, I got the reservation. It seemed that as long as you were flexible to the time and whether or not you sat with others, they would usually honor your request. Later in the day there would be a card on your cabin door advising you of the time of your reservation. We had breakfast in the main dining room only once. It was very nice but it was so much more convenient to go to the Terrace Cafe for the buffet. The food was excellent and you could get eggs and omelets to order. Plus it was nice to be able to sit outside on the veranda. I only ordered room service twice. The menu is limited but adequate. The entertainment aboard ship was better than I expected, based on reviews, but certainly nothing spectacular. I saw only one entire show, a magician/comedian that was quite good, and parts of two other shows. For me, the emphasis of this cruise was the ports and sightseeing. After re-boarding the ship at each port, I mainly wanted to relax, have a nice dinner and then get to bed, the entertainment just wasn't that important to me. In chatting with several people aboard that had been on many different cruises I asked those that had been on Crystal how they would compare the two. All said that the entertainment on Crystal was outstanding, but all thought that the food and service on Oceania was as good if not better. Good praise for cruises costing as much as 50% less. We did not book any shore excursions. In Ephesus we booked with Mesut Yilmaz (www.mesutyilmaz.org). We were able to tailor the tour to our likes and it was just for the two of us. He was very professional and easy to understand and less expensive than the excursions offered by the ship. Whether you book privately or through the ship, I highly recommend this being one excursion that you do take. The ruins and the terrace houses are not to be missed. Other than Ephesus, we did our own research and reading and explored the islands on our own. From a friend that took a similar cruise, I recommend against renting motor scooters on the islands. He said that they are poorly maintained and many break down around the island. He almost missed boarding his ship because of this. Regarding the additional cost of the concierge class versus the B category cabins, I asked a couple of people that were on the concierge class if they felt it was worth the extra money. All seemed to say, not really. I did not use the gym but visited the steam room twice, which was larger than I expected and with no additional charge. The cost of massages at the spa was too high, in my opinion, almost double what I am used to paying at home. I do expect to pay a premium on a cruise ship, but their prices did seem a little excessive. In some of the other reviews, people complained about the cost of drinks. I did bring aboard my own bottle of vodka and mixer and just asked my cabin steward to fill my ice bucket at 4:00 each afternoon. When I returned to the ship from sightseeing, everything was ready for me to enjoy a drink on my balcony. Each day, there were drink specials at reduced prices and I would often try those as well. The wine policy was not bad. I ordered a bottle of wine the first night, enjoyed two glasses and then asked for them to hold the rest. Regardless of the restaurant the next evening, the bottle was retrieved and the enjoyment continued. This seemed much cheaper than constantly ordering wine by the glass or even buying wine in the ports and paying the corkage fees. Disembarkation was as smooth as embarkation. Nothing even worth mentioning. If you have children or like the party, Las Vegas atmosphere of other cruise lines, you probably won't like Oceania. For me, this was an excellent cruise and a line that I am already looking to for the future.

Nautica - Eastern Mediterranean

Nautica Cruise Review by LesEolides

Disembarkation was as smooth as embarkation. Nothing even worth mentioning.
LesEolides’s Full Rating Summary