3. Grandeur of the Seas

While we've been on fancier and bigger cruise ships, my husband and I had a nice time on the Grandeur of the Seas cruise to Bermuda. The fact that we could drive to the port and that the embarkation process was fantastically quick and easy made up for any shortcomings on the actual cruise itself. Some of the public areas look a little worn, but admittedly, only if you look closely or are looking for faults. My eyes couldn't help but find cracks or other things in need of a touch-up.

The food was basically good. Interesting, the lunches in the main dining room were better than the dinners. There seemed to be better quality and more variety for lunch and this soon because our favorite meal of the day. We did not eat in the Windjammer Cafe (buffet) very much. But, it was your typical cruise ship buffet that feels like a chaotic cafeteria at times. Our server in the main dining room was nice but less than enthusiastic which made meal time slightly uncomfortable. The plating of the dinner entrees was atrocious. I almost wanted to take photos to submit to Gordon Ramsay to have an intervention with them. Quality of the food was fine. We've had better and we've had worse.

Not all of the bars on board the ship are created equal. We found that the Champagne Bar was far superior in the quality of the drink making. I was disappointed to learn that fresh fruit is not used for the daiquiris and other frozen drinks. All of those drinks are made with pre-made mixes that are super sugary and don't taste good, in my opinion. We purchased the Premium Drink Package which entitled us to unlimited cocktails. There were some restrictions, which made it a little confusing at times. You saw many people asking if certain drinks were included before ordering. The most annoying part of the drink package was having to sign for every drink. Some servers were cool and didn't hand you the zero balance receipt to sign. But, most gave it to you and I overheard a fellow passenger say that it was a technique to get an extra tip, because gratuity is supposed to be included with the premium package. I don't know what the reason was or the motivations of the servers, but I would have preferred not to sign for a zero balance check every time I ordered something.

Overall, it was a pleasant cruise. If you live within driving distance from Baltimore, this cruise is a good value and the ease of not having to fly to a cruise was very valuable to us. This was our 2nd Royal Caribbean Cruise and quite honestly, we did not have a great experience the first time. However, this cruise redeemed themselves in my eyes and I'm not adverse to sailing with them again. I think you'll like this cruise if you just want a simple, easy getaway.

Sailing from Baltimore is a breeze

Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review by PromenadeDeck5

• Sail Date: September 2013
  • Destination: Bermuda

PromenadeDeck5’s Full Rating Summary

Our inside cabin was larger than I expected it would be and had the amenities we needed. The bed was extremely firm and not particularly kept together well to make a queen-sized bed.

Grandeur of the Seas Deck Plans