3. Oasis of the Seas
We had a fantastic time aboard Oasis of the Seas. As first time cruisers, we had done our research and read reviews, studied deck plans, planned excursions and other activities ahead of time. We didn't want to go unprepared! We flew down from NY to Fort Lauderdale early that morning, August 11th, and arrived at the airport around 9:30AM. Royal Caribbean actually provides a transport service from the airport to the terminal that you can sign up for, which costs about $18/person. We were actually told it would be cheaper to take a taxi, which is what we ended up doing. It was a short, easy ride from Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International airport to the pier terminal, and came to $18 total for two people. All we had to do was tell the taxi driver to go to pier 18. We arrived at the terminal around 10:30AM, and were immediately greeted. They checked in our luggage at the curb, and after walking through security we checked in at the terminal. Since we were there early it was fairly empty, with some of the agents still filing in. We waited in line for a bit, though, even though there was no one in front of us, as the gold members of the Crown and Anchor Society (those who have sailed before on RCCL) who were waiting on the other lines were given preference. Waiting at the terminal was not bad, as they had everyone seated in rows in the order you came in. We started boarding a bit before noon, with the higher level Crown and Anchor Society members first. The rest of us boarded in the order we arrived. We entered the ship on the 5th deck, where the royal promenade is. We were hungry and headed to the Windjammer Cafe. Like others have said, the Windjammer Cafe does not have the best food, but it did not matter since we were so hungry! It was good we got there early, as the place filled up quickly and soon people were scrambling for seats. As we were leaving we heard the greeter say that there was about a 15 minute wait time for a table. We were on Deck 3, with an porthole, right in the middle of the ship. I actually really liked this location, since it wasn't too high up (I don't like heights) and it was close to the dining hall. The room was nice and quaint, but barely big enough for two people. Perhaps it was just that we had over packed, but we were barely able to fit all of our items in the closet and drawers. We explored the ship on the first day - Central Park on deck 8, the lido deck, the boardwalk on deck 6, and the promenade on deck 5. The mandatory drill was short and not bad at all. Dinner in the Opus dining hall was very nice. We opted for the late seating - 8:30PM. It was less crowded and had more adults. Our server was from Peru, he was nice but not the friendliest. He served us very quickly though. The food was very good. I've read complaints about it and perhaps people were expecting Michelin star quality or something, but you have to remember that there are 6500 people that have to be served. And for having to serve all these people, the food was excellent! For breakfast we went to the Park Cafe, Johnny Rockets, the Opus dining room, and the Solarium Cafe, which were all "free." We ate at several of the "alternative" restaurants on board the ship during our cruise. Chops Grille was wonderful. We had such a lovely waiter (unfortunately, I can't remember his name) and the food was excellent. We also had dinner at Izumi one night. The food was good too, however, the server there messed up one of our orders. We had lunch once day at Vintages, the tapas bar. I was extremely disappointed here. First, our server took a VERY long time to serve us, even though we were the only ones there. He didn't even bother to check on us, and we had to and find him to get our check. Besides the bad experience, which I will take as an exception, the service aboard the ship was excellent. The staff was really friendly and willing to help whenever possible. For example, we had called the spa one day at 10 AM and booked a couple's massage for 11AM that day, only to change our minds a couple of minutes later. When we first called the spa back, the woman on the phone told me nothing could be done since cancellations should be done 24 hours prior to the appointment. I went up to the spa and spoke to someone else in person. He saw that we had made our reservations just two minutes ago and he cancelled our appointments without any problems. Our stateroom attendant was exceptional. He didn't have an easy task, cleaning our stateroom, but he managed to make the place lovely and presentable each time. The cruise director, Amy, was pleasant, energetic, and engaging. We went to some of the activities they had on board, and it was a lot of fun whenever she got involved. As far as activities, we didn't get to see the ice show, the water show, or the headliner act, but we did see Hairspray, which was good. The nightclub, Blaze, wasn't full at all when we went, and I wasn't a fan of the DJ. We also went to Dazzles, which was more active but not my scene - they played more 70s and 80 music. We went to the Casino twice, which was fun, except for the fact that we didn't win anything. :) We went on the Flowrider, but were too scared to go on the zipline. They weren't as crowded as I expected them to be, but there were lines. The pools were crowded on the days we were at sea. The Solarium was a lovely area that was quiet and relaxing - we spent quite a bit of time there, since it was adults only. We were very lucky to have such great weather. It rained briefly once, and a couple of other times there was light drizzle. The seas were relatively calm during sailing - we could hardly feel the boat moving. Our cruise took us to the Eastern Caribbean, with stops at Nassau, Bahamas, Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas, and Philipsburg, St. Maarten. We just explored the town a bit at Nassau and went back to the ship, which was nice and empty - we got to swim in an uncrowded pool. We went on the sail to Christmas and Honeymoon Coves excursion at St. Thomas, which I will review separately but will say that we HIGHLY HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT. We went on our own to Orient Beach in St. Maarten then did a bit of shopping. The ship was kept very clean and orderly. I would see people leave a dish in the corner of a stairwell (seriously? people can be such pigs sometimes) and a couple of minutes later when I would pass again it would be gone. The staff was always working to keep the ship clean, not just the interior but also the exterior when it was at port. Our only complaint was the alcohol. The drinks were never made consistently - to us they were either too strong or too light and sweet. We went to all the bars - from the Schooner bar, to the Wipeout Bar, and we encountered the same problem wherever we went. However, I will mention that one of our servers, Howard, at the rising tide bar, was absolutely fabulous. Overall, we had a great experience, and would recommend it to anyone. We're going to have a problem topping this first cruise, with such a gorgeous ship!

Our first cruise!