3. Crown Princess
I'll try to make this brief and hit all the major points, not sure how successful I'll be but here goes... EMBARKATION - We had Princess transfers, what a joke! We will never do that again! Checked on taxi costs while waiting to board the plane in San Juan to come home. I was told that for 2 people from Airport to Port is $20.00 - $25.00 and there were people who were getting Taxis very quickly and avoided the long lines of people that we had to wait in. When we got to the Port around 2:00, we had to stand in line about 15 minutes outside and then inside they had chairs for us to sit in....wasn't too bad. But, after talking with people who had gotten there around 11 a.m. to 1 or 1:30 they had to stand in line in the sun for 1-2 hours before even getting into the building. I guess we were lucky!!! SHIP - Crown Princess is, without a doubt, a beautiful ship. Very elegant and when looking outside on deck 16 at night was incredible! We never felt crowded even though it was a sold out ship! The dining rooms were very plain. The other public spaces exactly like the Golden. The area around the main pool was done very well, however and MUTS volume was never an issue. I think they must have had a lot of complaints and have changed this because even during the day, we never found it a problem!! PORTS OF CALL - Below is our opinion of this itinerary! 1. ST LUCIA - This is a beautiful island. We did The Best of St. Lucia Princess Excursion and it was a FANTASTIC ONE. This is the only Princess excursion we did but St. Lucia is truly a beautiful island. Very poor and the people are very friendly! Not at all in your face but lots of smiles and helpful....incredibly beautiful island! 2. BARBADOS - We went to Blue Monkey Beach on our own. This is where the "Swim with the turtles" tours go to and it was a very nice beach. We swam with the turtles right off the beach.....and didn't have to pay anything! 3. ANTIGUA - We strive to find beaches that are not so crowded and loud...that is a difficult task but we went to Castaway Beach and it was good. The water was very cloudy, not the clear we are used to in the Caribbean. The beach was very nice and not a whole lot of people. 4. ST. MAARTIN-St. MAARTIN - This was the biggest disappointment as far as the Ports of Call. Now, if you like the shopping thing, everyone we talked to said this was the place to be. As far as the beauty of the island itself?...well, the French side was ok, the dutch side looked like a run down Panama City Beach....not impressed. My DH took the water taxi from the ship to the downtown area and he said that was very nice and that the downtown area was very pretty. Lots of traffic jams all over the island however, so, if you go on your own anywhere, give yourself lots of time to make it back to the ship! 5. St Thomas... - We've been here many times but have never gone over to St. John before this trip. We did St. John so here goes.... 5 (a) ST JOHN - We will ALWAYS go back to St. John! We found Cinnamon Beach....I don't even know where to start. Large beach, maybe 50-60 people was all that was there!! UNBELIEVABLE!!!! Good snorkeling right off the beach.....clear, perfect water.....wonderful views.....I could go on and on, but you get the picture! ROOM - We were not happy with the balcony cabin size AT ALL! We were on the Aloha Deck - 742, port side. It was very small, only one comfortable chair and the bathroom shower is a JOKE!!! For a woman, trying to shave your legs in the shower you had to be very imaginative and find ways to do it without falling on your butt outside the shower. Our room steward was very good, but a little over worked. You could just tell that he was exhausted most of the time but kept going like the little energizer bunny! We tipped him well and he was very appreciative. I'm sorry but I could never remember how to pronounce his name or I would tell you what it was. We discovered that we don't like Aft...too much vibration and we didn't like the last cabin jutted out and blocked our view completely to the left. This was a disappointment! There was ample storage space in the cabin however and we had plenty of shelf, closet, nooks and crannies to put stuff in. Balcony size was normal and the Aloha deck is covered completely which we were happy with. Table and two chairs on the balcony were mesh like material and comfortable enough. COFFEE - Wasn't as bad as the Golden's coffee....still that stuff, whatever it is, that is supposed to taste like coffee. It is more like sludgy, motor oil but I just used my Folgers Singles and avoided it all together. This will be one of the main reasons we may not cruise Princess again. I mean, come on, concentrated coffee???? ENTERTAINMENT - This ship was our second Princess cruise, our first on the Golden in 04. One of the reasons we decided to book with Princess again was because the Entertainment...this includes the entertainment in the Princess Theatre, lounges, parties, etc. was excellent! The Crown Princess really fell short here!!! We heard so many complaints from most of the people we talked to and just heard talking to other passengers about! I felt like I was on a cheap Carnival cruise when it came to the Princess Theatre. Sets were very cheap looking if non-existent and the shows were not even as good as a Six Flags or community theatre. Crooners had an excellent piano player and showman, the wheelhouse bar was just ok, and I love the atmosphere in there but the entertainment here was lacking as well. The group Epithany was mediocre as the main singer was SO BAD. The keyboard player, a woman, was very good however! FOOD - Ok, I know that this is a VERY subjective thing, but here goes our (my DH and I) opinion. It was NOT GOOD. From the buffet to the dining rooms! It's not that anything was bad really, its just that it was all pretty tasteless. The choices in the buffet were not very good and again, we heard MANY, MANY people complaining about this. We ate more burgers and hot dogs, which were good because the other food was...well, see above! The dining room service was just ok, except for the last night and we had two that were exceptional. We are not at all hard to please when it comes to food, we just like to eat! So, this cruise was not up to the same standards we found on the Golden two years ago. The deserts were so beautiful and tasteless! We would go up and look at them, and they looked so perfect but had no taste! The cookies that everyone has raved about were never fresh and you could break a tooth on them. This was a major disappointment! I kept reading about the cookies in the International Cafe, and thought, well I won't take any sweets with us on this cruise, since we will have those wonderful chocolate chip cookies....we only smelled them cooking one time and we were in the piazza many times throughout the day. Even when we smelled them cooking that one time, we rushed over to get our fresh cookies and were told that they would put out the fresh ones when the old ones had been eaten CREW - The crew for the most part, were very hardworking, pleasant, friendly and helpful. We had no complaints here AT ALL!!!! SAFES - They have to do something about this! Our safe started giving us trouble on the first day, the first time. We called 2 times and finally they sent some lady down to have a look and to get it opened for us. She proceeded to tell us that her job was to go around all over the ship and educate the passengers how to operate the safes.....huh??? Then she said that the "problem" was with the operation of them, not the safes themselves....ok, so explain how we operate them properly. She said that you had to 1. not allow them to stay open long...."put your things in them as quickly as possible, and close the safe immediately." 2. if you don't do #1 in a few minutes the safe will start to take off one number at a time of the code that you put in it. This means that you "Might" have to put 3 numbers of your code in instead of the 4 number you programmed into it." 3. She said, "If you don't do numbers 1 and 2 properly, you will not be able to use the safe. We contacted the manufacturers and they said that nothing is wrong with the safes, it is just that our passengers do not know how to use them properly" So, we did what she said and the results are this...if you can't put your things in and out within about 20-30 seconds, the safe will show an error! We had to strategically hide our things each day, which was a pain, and I believe this is an area they desperately need to look into FIXING! DISEMBARKATION - Didn't see a problem here at all! Went fast and appeared to be efficient. The only problem we had was that the flight time that was printed on our eticket in our cruise documents was 45 minutes later than what the actual flight time was. This could have been a major problem if we weren't the kind of people that are early everywhere we go! SAN JUAN AIRPORT - ON MY GOSH, this is such a ridiculous airport! I won't even try to explain all the things wrong here, but if you've been there, you know!! We talked to people who had Princess Air as we did that had been waiting for 4-6 hours at this VERY CROWDED, no place to sit down airport! Enough said about that! P.S. Please forgive any misspellings throughout this review!

Crown Princess - Southern Caribbean

Crown Princess Cruise Review by tinaparrotthead

P.S. Please forgive any misspellings throughout this review!
tinaparrotthead’s Full Rating Summary