3. Wilderness Explorer
This was my first time in Alaska, and I liked the concept of an 'adventure' cruise with activities other than watching the ocean go by. This was what I wanted and just what I received. Since this was my first cruise, I had lot of questions for the sales staff. They treated me courteously, got back to me with answers and helped by providing options that worked. When the time came, they followed up to make sure everything was in order. Instructions provided were clear and easy to follow. A small cruise ship, not a floating hotel, was a must for me. A desire to meet the crew and most of the passengers was also a desire. Captain 'Marce' was easy to talk to and her crew was a reflection of her very good leadership. They were all friendly, helpful, very accommodating and very easy to work with. They were knowledgeable and provided assistance on just about everything necessary to make things like kayaking (my first attempt), polar plunges, snorkeling (including thermal suits to stay warm), paddle boarding, shore hikes, whale watching and everything in between more fun than I'd hoped. Meals were casual, but very good. Choices and amounts were also very good. Activities were categorized by amounts of effort in the activity. Activity choices varied from mild (skiff rides up close and personal with calving glaciers) to endurance kayak trips or shore hiking trips. If I had it to do over again, the only thing I'd change would be to lengthen the cruise duration. And next time, I will.

First Cruise - Great Trip

Wilderness Explorer Cruise Review by rundg001

• Sail Date: August 2013
  • Destination: Alaska
rundg001’s Full Rating Summary
Get UnCruise Wilderness Explorer price drops

Our cabin was snug, but very adequate. Most time was spent on deck, and time in cabin was for dressing, bathing and sleeping. We could see the scenery from our cabin (all cabins face out) and could determine the weather by opening the window. It made clothing choices for planned activities very easy.