Good family time in the Marina and the Baltics!: Marina Cruise Review by caseum
Overall Member Rating
Good family time in the Marina and the Baltics!
Destination: Baltic Sea
We had a great family time!
Also, thanks my fellow travelers on cruisecritic.com and tripadvisor.com! Thanks for your experience! I learned a lot from you!
MARINA FOOD: very good in general.
(1) Buffet - Nightly items included grill lobster, pawn, lamb chop, sword fish ... Lobster was a bit salty though; lamb chop was a bit tough even though it was medium well. Breadfast items included black berry, blue berry, walnut, macadimia nut ...
(2) Red Ginger - Miso broth was too salty, and the spices for the lamb chop was too salty too
(3) Pollo Grill - Steam lobster was good.
MARINA SERVICE: very good.
In most cities, we were able to find free WC. In some cases, we had to pay (with local More currency) to use the WC.
(1) Rostock train station - 1 Euro is required to enter. The machine gives you a 50 cents euro ticket back, which if used with another 50 cents euro will allow another WC entry.
- Enter the WC through a turnsile. Use the same turnsile to exit.
(2) Sherwin train station - 50 cents euro is required.
(3) The train between Rostock and Castle has WC.
(4) Helsinki - A flushing mechanism I have used is to pull a button up.
(5) St Petersburg - The two different single WCs (one person toilet) we have used have their light switch outside of the WC. One of them does not have any sign on its door, indicating it is a WC.
We only used credit card (strip without chip-n-pin) in Stockholm and in St. Petersburg with SpB Tours. In Stockholm, We used it in a tourist information desk and at the Vasa Museum. There was no problem. I was given a sale draft to sign.
We took Taxi Stockholm from the cruise port to Arlanda Airport. It was a flat rate of 520 SEK. This flat rate was the same whether you start from the old town or cruise port, and all Taxi Stokcholm, we had seen , had a sticker on their side with this rate. If you have an early flight to the airport, book a taxi ahead. We chose Taxi Stockholm based on Rick Steves' recommendation on his guide book. We booked in advance based on an advice from a local tourism board representative.
Before the trip, my family excahnged some local currency for every country, so it was very convenience for us.
It was a good decision to use public transportation, as we got a glimpse of the local life and we could interact with locals.
(1) Copenhagen - We used 10-clip, 2-zone tickets from the airport to the central station, and from the central station to Freeport. I think they will discontinue this type of ticket next year. We took bus 26
from Copenhagan central station to the Freeport cruise port. The walk from the bus stop to the cruise terminal is about 10 mins (perhaps less); flat road.
(2) Warnemunde to Rostock to Sherwin - We used the Mecklenburg-Western-Pomerania-Ticket. Since we began after 9a on a weekday, we only use that ticket. From Rostock to Sherwin and on the way back, there was a conductor checking tickets, and there is WC on the train.
(3) Gdynia - We took bus 137 from the cruise terminal to the SKM train station. The bus station is right outside of the cruise terminal, about 5 mins (perhaps less) walk from the cruise ship. If you want to take 137 from the SKM train station back to the cruise port, take bus 22 or 23 or 24 outside of the SKM train station. Get off at Plac Kaszubski (I think it is one stop from the train station), and wait for bus 137 there. One thing about bus 137, the last bus was before 6pm. None of the bus driver we encountered spoke English, but we managed.
(4) Helsinki - We bought the 24-hour ticket, which included the boat ride to/from Suomenlinna. Tram 3T has been renamed to Tram 2, running the same route.
(5) Stockholm - We bought the 24-hour ticket, which included the boat ride from Gamla Stan to the Vasa Museum and vice versa. Less
Itinerary was great, food and ...
Trip worth taking
Amazing Port of Calls with a P...
Expected more, but it just did...
Baltic Experience June 2017
Overall good, but a few negati...