Star Princess Cruise Review

Star Princess Cruise Review by Blingz

• Sail Date: Sep 2013
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: undefined

EMBARKATION.... was a breeze! We took 2 friends aboard on the Bon Voyage Package and got on the ship before anyone else. It included a tour of the ship and lunch. We were finishing our lunch before most of the others were onboard the ship! LOTUS SPA....I visited the spa the first day at sea for a Thai Poultice massage. But an odd thing happened, the person who started my massage was not the person who finished my massage! Ariana started my massage and Martha finished!! I was not told about this either and when the massage was over, someone else was standing there! Just a little strange. This has never happened to me before!! But the massage was good. I did NOT like the hard sell of products after the massage either! It took away from the blissful feeling! How many times do you have to say NO! I booked a second hot stone massage for another day and also got the same hard sell for products again! Whatever..... I also had a haircut and style from a delightful girl from South Africa. RJ gave me a wonderful cut that I'm so very pleased with! FOOD.... The food on the ship was ok. Better than Carnival by far, but just ok. I got all the pizza I ever wanted. The Horizon Court had good salad bar. The lettuce could have been drier. The desserts were good there also. The service was here was prompt, my iced tea glass never went empty. We went to The Crown Grill one night and the food was devine! The waiters seemed to speak better english here and the service was quick and very courteous. Next time I will eat here every night!! CANCELLED PORTS OF CALL....of course I realize that you can not control Mother Nature! I commend Captain Perrin for getting us safely back to shore. He and his crew did a perfect job of keeping us up to date on the foul weather conditions in store for us. However, I am as guilty as most. I never dreamed it would have gotten THAT BAD! But it did, right at dinner time! We had the good presence of mind to get back to our room and scratch our dinner plans for that night. My husband and I could stand to miss a meal anyway! No biggie! Safety was more important. Glad we did. The next day I heard about windows breaking on the ship and ladies breaking their legs in the storm. So due to this freaky weather, we missed out on Ketchikan and Victoria.

Blingz's Full Rating Summary

Cabin AA D233

Cabin D233 was handy to forward elevator. Unfortunately if is across from an interior rooms with 4 bunk beds. This meant loud children running back and forth. I'll never book across from such room again! There were 6 small kids in these rooms!! The cabin itself is good. It has a tub with a shower. No real issues other than the possibility loud screaming kids across from you.

Mendenhall Glacier

Low rating was due to the fact that our tour company only allowed us 1 hour here. Not enough time to walk out to the waterfall and back. If we missed the bus, he said it was a $32. each person for cab fare back to town. So we opted to be sure to catch the bus back and spent the cab fare at the Red Dog instead. ((: ,Low rating was due to the fact that our tour company only allowed us 1 hour here. Not enough time to walk out to the waterfall and back. If we missed the bus, he said it was a $32. each person for cab fare back to town. So we opted to be sure to catch the bus back and spent the cab fare at the Red Dog instead. ((:

View All 971 Mendenhall Glacier Reviews
Whale Watching

Went with the White school bus people. They have smaller blue boats that are the perfect size for whale watching. We were taken to a large protected area where we found a large pod if humpbacks. They came very close to us. Got lots of tale shots and even a rainbow !

View All 906 Whale Watching Reviews
Helicopter Tour

Glacier Helicopter trip with Temesco. You are briefed on helicopter safety while being driven from the ship to the Temesco headquarters where you are fitted with Glacier boots that fit over your shoes/ boots and a life jacket. There were 8 passengers per chopper. The trip to the Glacier was absolutely amazing!!! We probably only spent about 45 minutes on the Glacier. We were toured by our Glacier Guides around the area. The huge boulders and the beautiful blue ice is really something to see. It's very very cold and it was also raining on us too. You are not allowed to take any bags at all with you. I had to put my good camera and iPhone (camera) away because of the rain and use my waterproof camera for most of the pictures. Being on this Glacier put its size into prospective!be sure to wear a good rain jacket!! I highly recommend this trip!

View All 64 Helicopter Tour Reviews
White Pass Scenic Railway

We boarded the last car and took the last seat. We spent most of our time on the outside platform taking pictures. It decided to sprinkle off and on during the trip which was fine. Nice effects in the photos! You must stay in your train car, no roaming from car to car. We went up the mountain and back. I thoroughly enjoyed it!

View All 1212 White Pass Scenic Railway Reviews