3. Disney Wonder

We selected this cruise to find out what a Disney Cruise would be like. I am a senior citizen who can walk a bit but not far, so I use a rented scooter on my cruises.

We got a concierge cabin, since we wanted room for scooters (my partner uses one also on board)and the one bedroom we got was very adequate and quite comfortable, with a nice accessible bathroom, which neither of us really need, but which we appreciated for the room it provided.

The staff was amazing. They easily match the staff on any cruise we have ever taken.

The food was excellent, not only at Palo, but in every restaurant we went to. The rotational dining room assignments with the same service staff following you is a great idea. The only place we did not visit was the buffet, since the other venues had such good food and we did not want to stand in line. The food was obviously prepared so younger palates would like it also, so the seasoning was generally less that other places I have eaten. But, as I said, it was still quite good.

Disney get extra points on accessibility. The ship has many accessible bathrooms and neither of us had any problems getting around on our scooters. The only exception was the Walt Disney Theater, which is just marginal at best for scooters (and prams, too).

The shows and activities were good and well run. I appreciated that Disney also showed the stage shows on our room tv so I did not have to put up with the noise. My partner also ended up watching the last stage show on the tv since the noise bothered her, too. There was also a wide selection of Disney and other movies available all the time.

Really, the only negative thing I have to report is the noise level almost everywhere. The dining rooms, except Palo, are very loud, as was the theater often. The lounge entertainment at the Promenade Lounge was deafening. I was prepared for noise since it more or less goes with a place with a lot of younger kids. No excuse for the Lounge, though.

I would definitely recommend a Disney cruise except if you are sensitive to noise.

Disney Wonder Repositioning Cruise

Disney Wonder Cruise Review by Lord Duck

• Sail Date: September 2013
  • Destination: USA

Lord Duck’s Full Rating Summary
Rates

Two bathrooms with showers, both accessible. Bed is adjustable for various heights. Large balcony. Lots of sitting room.

Disney Wonder Deck Plans

• Chinatown

San Francisco proved to be a nice port with friendly people. The cruise terminal was quite negotiable for a person on a scooter. The tour was excellent and the provided dim sum lunch was good, but kind of "hard core" for a non chinese person (it included chicken feet and beef tendon).