3. Norwegian Star

We sailed on the NCL Star in September of 2013 to the Baltic ports of Warnemunde Germany, Tallinn Estonia, St. Petersburg Russia, Helsinki Finland and Stockholm, Sweden out of the port of Copenhagen, Denmark.

I had read a lot of reviews before booking, but we choice NCL for ports of call and because it stayed in St. Petersburg for 2 days.

Food:

If you're expecting Gordon Ramsey to pop in and give you a celebrity foodie experience, you'll be disappointed. That said, we heard a lot of complaints about the food, and we found it to be pretty good. I mean, it's cruise food, and after 9 days, you just want to eat something that you cooked, but it was good.

The breakfast buffet was packed with choices. The lunch buffet was pretty much the same every day (but then, why aren't you eating in port?) and the dinner buffet was varied. Though because I had a gluten free restriction, we found dinner in the dining room to be the best bet.

The key is to find a server you like and request them every night for special treatment. Also, get to know your maitre d. Ours made sure that I was gluten free each day (with a gluten free cake made special for our anniversary to boot!)

The dining room food was good, chicken mostly overcooked, but still good.

We ate at 2 specialty restaurants. Moderno and Teppenyaki. Moderno was "meh" - good to shake up your dining but not a must do. Teppenyaki (Japenese steak house feel) was excellent and entertaining. No wonder it was "sold out" every night for space.

The room:

The cabin was nicer than the other cruises we'd been on. Cramped, but a toilet room with a sliding door and slightly bigger shower. Our neighbors were ridiculously noisy, bring earplugs to sleep. The view was partially blocked, but still provided natural light.

The ship:

It shows its age, a little, but it's a nice ship. A lot of folks complained about the amount of outdoor space. I found it to be plenty for the Baltic (probably not for the Caribbean, though.)

The staff:

One word, excellent.

The shows:

Didn't catch many of them, because we were pooped after each day in port. But the final show, Elements, was really good. Still a bit cruise ship cheesy, but very entertaining.

Thoughts:

Guessing it's a European thing, but this was the least participatory cruise I've been on. No one wanted their photos taken, no one was enthusiastic at shows, etc.

They were very concerned with washing your hands, and were always ready for a spray and a "washy washy". Ha!

Norweigan Star Baltics Cruise Sept. 2013

Norwegian Star Cruise Review by cs94wahoowa

• Sail Date: September 2013
  • Destination: Baltic Sea
  • Cabin Type: Obstructed Oceanview

Food:

The dining room food was good, chicken mostly overcooked, but still good.

The room: