• Newsletter

szdiver
First Time Cruiser • Age 70s

Sail Date: Oct 2006
Cabin: Courtyard Villa with Balcony

Let me start by saying we are a family of 3 - Dave, Sandy & daughter, Cassie. We have cruised on 25 different occasions and love the sport. Dave is an accountant/controller and I am a firefighter/emt. Cassie works at the same company as Dave. We booked our cruise from an internet agency and were very pleased with their efforts on our behalf. The president was onboard with us and had a group of 250 people onboard. We stayed in Barcelona at the Grand Marina which was an excellent hotel on the water. The cruise ships surrounded the hotel. We arrived at the ship around 11:30 and were immediately transported onto the ship. Since we had booked an A3 (Courtyard villa) we had a short line and the Butler, Maxi, escorted us onto the ship and proceeded to show us our cabin and the various parts of the courtyard which came with the room. We had never had such an opulent(?) quarters before. Of course, the cabin itself was an AB variety, but on the 14th deck, it was enhanced by the extra spaces available only to those who had been fortunate enough to get the cabins. Please do not think I am boasting about our cabin - I am not. It is just that we were fortunate enough to be upselled into this cabin and it was VERY exciting. We met people in the elevator or at dinner and invited them all up to see the place. The ship itself was really very pretty and we enjoyed all the different places we found on board. There were lots of activities as well. Bingo, trivia, cards, ice carving, and lots of other things to do. Lots of craft classes, language classes, etc. In short, any time you wanted to do something, there was something to do. Of course, the casino was always there as well as shopping. The service we received all over the ship was always good and smiles were on all faces of those who helped and waited on us. Maxie our Butler was there any time we wanted anything. Alex the concierge was always doing something for us. We met up the first night with 98 cruisecritic members in the Garden Villa (thanks Karen) where one of our members was staying with her family. WOW - can you imagine the space that took? It was fun to meet up with everyone and we got together frequently after that. We went on several shore excursions: We did the cooking at Corsica, where my daughter was picked to cook the special dish to go along with the pig roast. The food was excellent and the wine flowed freely. Need I say more on that one? Gibraltar: We took a car to the top of the rock and met up with the apes who live there. They proceeded to steal hats, sandwiches and any other thing they could get their little hands on. It was really funny, and no one got mad at them. Florence: We took a private tour with Romeinlimo and Paulo was a great guide. We visited a monastery where we bought their liquor and a winery inside a castle (also a hotel) in Tuscany. We overlooked Florence before we went inside it and then drove all over the different streets and walked others. IT was a very good tour. Rome: What can I say about Rome? Our guide (again Romeinlimo) took us to the highlights of Rome and we went inside all of them. At the Vatican, we had our own guide who knew so much about everything - she was amazing. Lisa is an archeology student and we really enjoyed touring with her. The sistine chapel was my favorite - always wanted to see it. I was in awe of everything there. WOW. Madeira: Was really the most beautiful island we stopped in. Every place we stopped there was magnificent. The embroidery was real beautiful. Of course, I had to take some home. Monte Carlo: This was something I had wanted to see - the palace of Prince Ranier and Princess Grace. Was it something! A beautiful country and always clean. Dining: We ate in every restaurant available on the ship. It was especially nice in the first part of the cruise to eat breakfast in our room in order to get an early start. After we started the transatlantic portion, we ate at LeBistro, Cagney's and the buffet. All were exceptional and nowhere did I find bad food. My favorite was the murder mystery dinner. It was especially fun because we ate in the regular dining room and all around us were wondering what we were talking about when we said the Captain was murdered. David turned out to be the murderer. The entertainment was excellent. The Jean Ryan troupe had three good shows and there were several comedians, singers and other entertainers who were all great. Disembarking was a breeze. Alex met us at the ChinChin Restaurant and took us right off the ship. We found our luggage and found a cab quickly. We were on our way from start to finish within 15 minutes. Not bad.

All in all, I can't say anything bad about NCL Jewel. Everything was handled professionally and we had a great time. Sorry about the long review, but I still wish I was on the ship.

Courtyard Villa with Balcony