3. Island Escape

We did our first cruise on the Island Escape last year, enjoyed it so much returned for a different route this year.

Since going All Inclusive it has attracted more families with kids, last year the kids weren't a problem, this year some parents enjoyed their holiday while their kids ran feral. While watching the group one evening in the Bounty Lounge we had to put up with two girls 7/8 yr old chasing each other around the room at 11pm. Surely there should be a time limit as to how late children are allowed in these places. We also had to tolerate a little boy 3/4 years old at one of the shows jumping about and being a general nuisance and being ignored by his grown up. Can't really blame the child how many 3/4 year old boys want to sit and watch singing and dancing. We didn't spend time at the pool but apparently there was quite a bit of trouble caused by one boy holding little girls heads under the water. One family we spoke to said they no longer let their children in the pool and had complained to staff.

My other complaint was the relaxing of the dress code in the Island Restaurant. Most of the ladies wore nice dresses, the men would have been better dinning on deck 10. One young man came in wearing (I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt calling them shorts, looked more like swimming trunks)very short pink shorts and a woolly hat! Would you really want to dine sat next to him.

Many of last years staff were there again this year, still happy, helpful and friendly. The food was good and varied.

One more complaint, the Captain held a cocktail party for returning guests at 5.30 on the evening of the Rome Excursions, didn't anyone tell him lots of us would be unable to attend?

Better Last Year

Island Escape Cruise Review by ladyolivia

ladyolivia’s Full Rating Summary
Rates

Last year we must have been given the smallest cabin on the ship 4553. This year we paid to choose it again. It is very small but on one side and at the back of us were rooms where the crew kept cleaning utensils therefore we only had neighbours on one side. As there were quite a few complaints this year about noisy neighbours we made the correct choice. There was also a constant hum coming from the two crew rooms which helped to reduce outside noise. It was in the middle of the boat and although the weather was good I'm told it's the best place to be.

• Corsica (Ajaccio)

Visited Corsica last year so this time took the open topped bus along the coast and walked around the town.

View All 300 Corsica (Ajaccio) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Corsica (Ajaccio) Cruise Port Review
  • Mt. Vesuvius

Thrilled I was able to get to the top of Vesuvius, hard work at my age 69. Hubby went ahead and I along with two other ladies from the ship set out together. First the 50 year old turned back then the 40 year old stopped, think they were really fed up of my moaning that I had to get to the top! But I did it, it's just a hole in the ground but has good views over Naples.

View All 46 Mt. Vesuvius Reviews
  • Pompeii Walking Tour

From Versuvius we did Pompei. It was a hard walking day but worth it. When you leave Pompei the guide will take you to a restaurant where you will be charged 14 euros per person for a pizza, small ice cream and a drink. You will then be led back to the coach and onto the ship. It was my mistake I misunderstood and assumed we would be going back in Pompei. Had I realised ice cream sat in the sun would have been cheaper and more enjoyable.

View All 370 Pompeii Walking Tour Reviews
  • Rome / Private Train

What can you say about Rome? We saw everything, got into the Vatican without queuing, seeing the length of the queue we wouldn't have been able to wait so long. The excursion was expensive and I must admit I was surprised that so many people did it, but it was worth every penny. The advice seems to be do 'Rome on your own' I'm glad we did the expensive trip. My complaint is the included champagne lunch. I know we British only eat fish & chips, but a choice would have been nice. Lovely pasta starter followed by not fish & chips, but pork, boiled potatoes vegetables and gravy.

View All 30 Rome / Private Train Reviews
  • Cagliari City Tour

Lovely views from the top of the city and friendly knowledgeable guide.

View All 15 Cagliari City Tour Reviews