• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

paralegalnc
2-5 Cruises • Age 50s

Sail Date: May 2013
Cabin: Aft-View Extended Balcony

This was a cruise to celebrate my son's graduation from college. There were 8 of us. We got a balcony and the kids had oceanview cabins. So many things got screwed up with our bookings that I didn't think we would actually get on the boat. We had to do a last minute change of two people and that was a fiasco. Apparently there is some "policy" on people under 25 if they aren't your kids they can't be in a cabin unless there is someone over the age of 25 or they have to be married. Well that was tough because 4 of them were under 25 and not married. Booking was crazy on who was in what room. We had to wait until we were on the ship to move people to the right room. So instead of being able to relax when we got on board we had to stand in line at guest services. Though the lady when we embarked was really nice and patient and check in was really a breeze. Once we got all that squared away...we met Marco a waiter. LOVED Marco. Happy for him that after this cruise he was going home to Serbia to be with his newborn daughter. He was awesome tending to the needs of our celebrations. He was so good that we ended up not ordering from anyone else but him. We tipped him extra he was so good.

Kids loved joining us on the balcony. (with the booking fiasco our rooms weren't all together though they managed to get us fairly close) We love cruising with a balcony and won't cruise without one. That is my little sanctuary. I work a lot so I planned on just chilling. I actually read a whole book!

We paid for everyone's cruise so my only rule was we have dinner together as a family every night. The kids obliged. Our dining room experience left MUCH to be desired. Not the food, it was awesome but the service sucked! It was like only one guy was working. My husband and I had sailed on this ship before and service was phenominal but this time... We tried the "didjaever" items on the menu every night. snails, alligator. However my favorite is the chocolate lava cake. (I only gained 5 pounds on this cruise!) When we complained to the maitra'd guy he was very very condescending. After the 2nd night of poor service and more of the terrible attitude we complained to the head hancho on the ship for service. After that the maitra'd and headwaiter were...I don't know how to explain it, but our service improved but their attitudes were worse. We ended up eating elsewhere on the last night. The breakfast buffets were awesome.

Aft-View Extended Balcony

We had nothing wrong with our rooms... well, my daughter said her room was hot but she made a call to maintenance and we never heard that issue again. Son's room had something with the toilet, maintenance fixed it. They even called up to him later to make sure everything was working fine.

Port Reviews

Port Canaveral (Orlando)

so We stayed at the Cocoa Beach hotel. Got a family suite for all of us. Got a couple rollaways. A little crowded but cost effective. Close to shopping and the beach. They screwed up on the shuttle but they were very apologetic and sent for a private cab. We had to pay for the cab ($40) but they took like $100 off our bill. There was a waffle house right next to the hotel...horrible!!!

Freeport

We took a cab to Port Lucaya. It was a holiday there. Black Monday so many shops were closed. Hit the beach a little, did some shopping and played in the casino.

Find a Carnival Sensation Cruise from $229