3. Carnival Miracle

I really hate to write an unfavorable review, but our experience on Carnival wasn't great. Our family of 5, including daughter 23, daughter 21, and son 16, along with my 78yo mother, cruised Alaska on the Miracle form July 2-9. We had 3 extended balcony cabins in a row (the balconies were opened without problem once we asked). The cabins were small, a little shabby, with good built in storage space and a good sized balcony. Mattresses were ok. Our cabin steward was fine (not overly friendly, which was ok with me) but he did seem get a little a little annoyed if we came back to the cabin too soon. Public rooms ok, although the MDR was strange looking with all the fake grapes! Fitness room was very nice. Excursions were good.

Things We Didn't Like: Thought the food was average at best, and sometimes inedible, in both the Main Dining Room and the Buffet. We wasted a lot of food since we didn't eat it if it didn't taste good. Even things like cheeseburgers and desserts were either blah or just bad. The Lido Pizza was the bright spot and my kids said the french fries and the molten chocolate cake were good. Waiters were nice. We aren't foodies, but we were disappointed.

Thought the activities were dumb and the shows were ok. Probably liked the Beatles one the best.

Our biggest complaint was regarding our balcony. We had 3 connected balconies and were surrounded by smokers. The one on the right was annoying, but the couple on the left made our balcony space almost unusable. They both must have started smoking the second they woke up until the second before they fell asleep. Then there was a cigar smoker somewhere overhead whose ashes drifted down onto our chairs. Asked a staff member and they said guests were permitted to smoke on their balconies and there was nothing that could be done. Also alot of smokers by the open pool on Deck 9. I know smoking must be a problem on every cruiseline, but can't they put them all on one side of the ship? The smell would even seep into our cabin. So, all in all, not impressed.

Alaska July 2nd-9th

Rates
Ages 16+

Extended Balcony
Cabin 8J 5117,5119,5121

Rooms were ok, a little shabby, with good built in storage. You can faintly hear/feel the drums in the Phantom Theatre in the evening, The extended balcony was good sized but we had a lot of problems with our neighbors cigarette smoke (and ash from above).

Empress Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins