• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

Sparkyfive
First Time Cruiser • Age 40s

Sail Date: Jul 2013
Cabin:

This was our first cruise and first package holiday! I traveled with my mother who is in her 60s and we usually enjoy city breaks, Barcelona being one of our favourites but decided this year that a cruise would be a great way to see the city sights we like with a bit of relaxation thrown in!

We were drawn to this ship from its description as informal and laid back on the website, we also were very happy with the ports of call and the price! We had issues trying to book as when we went into the Thomson's shop the "cruise expert" did everything she could to try and put us off the Island Escape and book a different more expensive ship, after 45 minutes of her showing us restaurant menus and pictures of other ships we left, went to a different Thomson's shop and booked the cruise we wanted! This then prompted me to read some reviews, which perhaps I should have done before I booked, but I am so glad I didn't as it could very well have made me book a different cruise! Some of the reviews I read we're horrific and really put a shadow over our holiday... I need not have worried though as this was one of the best, if not the best holidays we have been on!

I was not sure what to expect with this being my first package holiday and was really impressed with the presence of the reps in the airport and how helpful they were! We were pointed in the direction of our bus where we were handed a pack with some information and what would happen next and then driven to the port. Once there, and after sanitising our hands at one of the ever present gel dispensers, we went through a very easy and informative check in and embarkation, our cases were delivered to our cabin very soon after.

Cabin IN

Basic but comfortable, very clean an in an ideal position.

Port Reviews

Corsica (Ajaccio)

We actually stopped in Calvi in Corsica but there was no option for this port! We went to shore on a tender and explored ourselves as knew it was just a small place and had no interest in the guided tour which explored the history!

Barcelona

This is one of our favourite places to visit so we did our own thing here. Just went for a walk around the harbour, had an ice cream watching the world go by! There is so much to do and see in Barcelona, if you have not been before it would be well worth jumping on a "hop on, hop off" bus for a guided tour on your own!

Find an Island Escape Cruise