3. Oosterdam

I just returned from Holland America's Cruise to Alaska on the Oosterdam sailing June 23rd. I was very very disappointed. The room was clean and our steward could not have been better. The food was horrible. Old Country Buffet would have been gourmet compared to the food available. No taste. Poor Quality. Rude service from the buffet staff. Room service was a joke. Long waits and never get the order right. I was even sent rotten fruit. Any time I asked for something I was told they were out of it, on the second day. We were told on prime rib night they forgot to load the prime ribs. Turkey day the was no turkey in the buffet. We opted for open dinning. Do not do it the servers were over worked and we waited and waited. The next day we opted for late seating and our waiters at table 8 were great. With most of our food left on our plates(four adults) they asked if it was good they offered to bring something else after a few tries we gave up.

The entertainment was poor. The singers and dancers work to canned music. Old and dated material. I have seen better high school productions. The magician was good. The ventriloquist's material was from the 60's-70's and not very funny. We ended up entertaining ourselves in the library with the games there. Other main night entertainment was provided by the passengers in the form of newlywed game and dancing with the stars. That's ok for extra entertainment, but not the night's main entertainment.

Our ports were great, all but one excursion we booked after we got off the ship at much less. Alaska was beautiful! We wanted to adjust our tip that is automatically added every day and give to people who went the extra mile. We were told we were not allowed to do that and that was that. If that is the case then they should include it in the cruise price. We will not cruise Holland America again. They have cut back so much it was such a disappointment.

Holland America Never Again

desw4’s Full Rating Summary
Rates

Deluxe Ocean-View Verandah Stateroom
Cabin VF 8014

8014 and 8010 rooms that were advertised as larger than most were the smallest of any cruise we have been on. The view was the only saving grace with clear walls to view the scenery and whales.

Navigation Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins