3. Crown Princess
When I travel, I choose cruising. What I enjoy the most about it is the ability to unpack once and then go about your day. I am living on a floating hotel that takes me from one port to another. Go to a port for a few hours, explore and then leave. No commitment. Doing the long, extended stay, Club Med type vacations bore me to tears. Since 1993, I average about 2 cruises a year, more than that if the funds are there. In other words, I am a big fan of cruising. I wanted to go to Bermuda, but I did not want to do one of those 6/7 day cruises that just do Bermuda, I just wanted a simple day stop. With that in mind, I did research and discovered that only Princess has the one day Bermuda itinerary. I have never sailed Princess. Up until that point, I have only sailed with Carnival and RCCL. In the end, I have never been to Bermuda and for once, I just wanted to go to some place new. So I called my parent's travel agent and I booked my trip. Here are my evaluations The Embarkation: The best that I have ever encountered. After you get your cabin sign and sail card, there was no line to get onto the ship. Carnival and RCCL need to take lessons on how to get this done. The Crown Princess: It looks bigger on the outside than it does on the inside and it went downhill from there. The ship holds over 3000 passengers, but where do you put them? The main theatre only holds 900 people. If you wanted to get a seat, you have to show up about an hour before show time, other wise you will be standing. Even though there are signs that say, don't save seats, people did it anyway and that made things worse. Issues were the same for the pool areas and for the Movies Under the Stars. The buffet areas were tight and there was no way to get out of there without stepping or bumping into people. Being a short person, I have had numerous elbows jabbed at me on various parts of my body. Frankly, I should send Princess my medical bill for the bruises. You will wait an eternity for an elevator. Shopping areas are limited and you will get rude treatment at the inch of gold area. The exercise areas cannot accommodate the number of vacationers that want to try out a piece of equipment or take part in an exercise class to counter act the calories from the food. If you do not get there as soon and the gym opens, you will not get on a treadmill. Another thing that I found about the ship is the fact that the design was boring. For a brand new ship, there was no stand-out feature. Nothing about it made my jaw hit the floor or my eye go wide. The atrium was blah and dry. No imagination was used. The casino was small, but they did have a 2 cent slot machine. The layout of the ship did not flow. It was backwards and confusing. Repairs from the list were still visible up on the upper deck six weeks later. Cabins: More closet space than I had expected. Extra supplies, like razors, shaving cream, toothbrush, etc were not provided. Given the fact of the new Airport Regulations, you would think that Princess would have provided that for you. During the day, there was an ugly bedspread on your bed and at night, you had a white down comforter, but no sheets, or blanket. Personally, I like to have both the down comforter and the sheets. The walls are very thing. Heard the arguments that the next door neighbors were having and all of the music from downstairs. Shore excursions: For San Juan and St. Thomas, I just got off the ship and walked around. It was my 3rd time this year at both of those locations, so I have done everything that I wanted to do there. My main purpose for this trip was Bermuda. I could get through the crappy ship if I could go to Bermuda. Bermuda will make everything all worth it. One problem, there was no Bermuda. The Captain decided to take Bermuda away from all of the waiting passengers days before the scheduled port and another port will not replace it. Instead we got another lovely day at sea. I could go on, but the more I think about it, the madder I get. Entertainment: The shows were good and the comedians did try to make us laugh, but we were all too angry to laugh. Food: The pizza was the best that I have ever had on any ship. The soda card was pricey. If want to pay that high price, beware, they fill that container up with ice. You hardly get any soda. If you do get some soda, chances are it is watered down. You will get ripped off. It is better if you just buy the individual cans. Customer Service: There was none. Neither on the ship or post sailing coming from the corporate office. They will stretch the truth or lie to you to suit their own purposes. I wrote them explaining my dissatisfaction, and I got a insert-name-here form letter. It was a rather rude, 'we have your money now, too bad, so sad' form. No care at all. No customer service after the sale. All and all, I was not happy with the ship, nor with the customer service that I have encountered afterwards. They do not seem to realize that the only reason why they are in business is to serve the customer. It cost more money to get a brand new customer than to serve the ones that they have and they had forgotten about that. If you want to sail on a liner that cares about their passengers, Princess is not for you. After a lot of sailing, this was my worst cruise experience that I have ever had.

Crown Princess - Eastern Caribbean