• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

suzeecruzee
First Time Cruiser • Age 60s

Sail Date: May 2013
Cabin: Interior

This was my very first time on a cruise and I booked the Western Med knowing something about the countries but my main aim was to see if I liked the idea of cruising. I did, loved it but this was my first and now acts as a benchmark for what I look for in the future. First of all the very positives.

Princess Cruises for me are first class for cleanliness, food, staff attitude entertainment, drinks and for the whole experience. Yes they are trying to empty your wallet with sales etc but that is up to you. I took advantage of the jewellery and duty frees, but my partner helped me to keep within my limits ...ha ha..

There was plenty to do if you wished, plenty of relaxing if you didn t.I loved that, I like dressing up and "going out" it was the perfect holiday. Formal night, ... I think its really the men who have issues here with the Tuxedo etc, but hey they looked great!! and if you don t want then there were plenty who did n t bother. It seemed to confine itself to the restaurants,shows and bars and the Atrium ( a fab area for people watching and decent coffee).There were many who were just dressed "smartly" and went to the buffett . So I needn t of stressed over that.

Interior

Cabin IB

We had an inside cabin on Caribe deck. Small but plenty of room to change sleep shower. C249... Felt some rolling around the Bay of Biscay which bothered me a little... towards the back lower down I was told was calmer.. but It was not too bad. No noise apart from the gentle hum of something, Spotlessly clean, towels etc changed everyday and cabin cleaned. Leave a notice on the door if you want it freshening. Plenty of storage space, comfy bed. I shall have at least a window next time as we didn t know what time of day it was sometimes or what the weather was like outside. Excellent room service. One minus point.... there were 2 overhead bunks up against the cabin wall which didn t bother me being 5.2 but my partner clonked his head on it a couple of times until he got used to it.Would imagine 4 in there would be pretty cramped, but we found it ok.

Port Reviews

Barcelona

Very built up city, and ok if you like looking at buildings. We spent a couple of hours there.. It was interesting but very cosmopolitan

Monaco (Monte Carlo)

The ship had to park away from the port. So to go into Monte Carlo it was necessary to get on the lifeboat. (tender).... We did nt as it was choppy and rainy. It was just another city, but, from the ship pretty enough if you were brave enough to take the tender. Many did nt , especially the wheelchairs and zimmers.

Florence (Livorno)

Again another city, easy enough to disembark and get into from the ship by a cheap bus. We went around the city and the port , ...Had a coffee then went back. My fault, I chose the cruise, if you like cities...but the port was a bit yuk to view from the ship...

Rome (Civitavecchia)

We have been to Rome, so decided on a lazy day sunbathing on the ship. The port is ...a port, ...again nothing scenic,,,,

Corsica (Ajaccio)

Loved this trip and made up for the cities...we stopped in the hills for wine and cheese tasting. Toured the villages and countryside to get a feel of this beautiful French Island. Would consider visiting Corsica again. it was beautiful and my idea of where to go on holiday. The port from the ship was pretty to stand and gaze at over the side of the boat....Fabulous...and the atmosphere of the people was the complete opposite ....so relaxed.and friendly

Gibraltar

A place I have always wanted to visit... Loved it. Just to wander around the town, take a coffee, marvel at our little English rock and the people were so friendly. Again, this made up for the cities, and again the port was pleasant from the boat and easy to disembark.

Find a Crown Princess Cruise from $284