Lord of the Glens Cruise Review

Lord of the Glens starting from the Kyle of Lochalsh

Lord of the Glens Cruise Review by svtdot

• Sail Date: May 2013
  • Destination: the British Isles & Western Europe

It was very enjoyable. The weather was very kind to us, particularly the daytrip to Iona which was perfect

The ship has much to recommend it, it is very small and the crew number 18, that includes the captain, mate, two engineers and three seamen. With such a small complement of passengers and crew having the right atmosphere is essential and everyone tried very hard.

If you are reading this I think you are looking for an insider's experience.

Ignore the moaner complaining about the cabin size. This is a small ship designed to go through small canal locks and space is at a premium.

I guess the kitchen must be very small and this calls for special measures.

The pattern for both lunches and dinners was the same: soup, (+ appetiser at dinner), main course and dessert. We were asked to select our main course requirement for both meals by mid-morning. The basic choice was always the same: meat, fish or a vegetarian something or other.

The chef was a big believer in presentation. This means one or perhaps two things: he has pretensions of grandeur and/or he likes the time to spend putting food on the plate. This is fine provided it's done quickly on hot plates.

In our case the plates were never hot, without they had won the heat from the soup for example, and it was clear that some items of food had been under plate 10 to 15 minutes before arriving at the table. I'm sorry, but I do not like combinations of hot, cooling, cool and cold food on the same plate; when it is clearly meant to be hot.

I suspect I was a lone voice in grumbling. most other people seemed very happy. "Didn't they do well, on such a small ship?"

Sorry but I don't compromise in restaurants. If the chef thinks he's good enough to "present" his creations then my expectations go up. I expect hot food to be hot and not a lottery as to what the next mouthful will be. If not, "dish-it-up" as in your school dinners or even, dare I say it, at home, straight from the hot pan onto a hot plate.

If you enjoy low-key relaxing holidays where the scenery comes to you, where the staff try very hard and your meal standards are flexible: the "Lord of the Glens" should not be missed.

svtdot's Full Rating Summary