• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

Marty L
10+ Cruises

Sail Date: Apr 2013
Cabin:

We were on the April 27th repositioning cruise from San Juan, PR to Bayonne, NJ.

As always, we left on the 23rd, staying at the Waldorf Astoria Casita Village at the El Conquistador. We had a wonderful time. I got to play golf every day and work on my tan before the cruise.

We had a car service take us to the ship on the afternoon of the 27th. There needs to have a better way of checking in luggage as most people stand in a long line. We had our driver get a person to take our luggage. From there it got easy. We were in a Royal Suite, so check in was fast and very easy. I think we were out of the car checked in and in our suite within 15 minutes. We ate lunch in the Bistro on 5. Very good. We got our luggage within 2 hours, so we were unpacked and ready to relax. The suite was a little small but very nicely appointed. I was not thrilled with the veranda. There were chaise lounge beds, not chairs, with thin pads, that had paint droppings on them. They very uncomfortable and never were made up for use. The whirlpool was not really usable, since the stopper was on the floor and it never was kept real clean. Not a big problem, I used the chairs and whirlpool on the pool deck. I'm a cigar smoker and found the area outside designated for smoking. A little challenge to get a chair, everyone was friendly and helped find unused chairs. Got to meet different people every day. Had pre-purchased a premium drink package. Also used the specialty restaurants for dinner and did not use MDR. The food and the service was spectacular. Sean from Normandy Restaurant was probably one of the finest and most professional people that I ever met on a cruise line. My wife and I have been on excess of 50 cruises.

We were in 6137. For us compared to other suites on other ships, tight. Veranda, not maintained to standards that I've had on other cruises. Butler and maid were fine. Very quiet in the suite. Bathroom was fine. Nothing special for a suite.

Port Reviews

St. Maarten

We are shoppers and cruise 3 times a year. We have favorite shops and restaurants. We love this Island and enjoy coming to it. Years ago we went a couple of times for a week at a time so we are comfortable here.

Tortola

Not there long enough. You can walk to town. Some shopping, but it really is nothing more than a filler day.

King's Wharf

We shopped and I also played golf. The closest course is Port Royale. This time I played at Belmont. The last time I chose to go to the Fairmont Resort and play their executive course. We went into Hamilton on the fairy. The shops around the ship are tourist stuff. Been going to Bermuda for over thirty years. So we go where our interests are.

previous reviewnext review