3. Saga Pearl II
Our arrival at Barbados was handled smoothly an the tours and port stops in Grenada and Trinidad were very good. We thought the ship was looking its age and not suprised is was due a refit.The food quality was average but service very good. The trouble started when we headed for South America. We were late arriving in Surinam due to Tides. I would have thought the tides would have been known in advance. The next stop was cancelled because of rough sea (I think mainly late arrival). In Belem we moored in the middle of the river using local boats as tenders. Our trip to shore was hampered by sitting on plastic patio chairs which moved about on deck due to the swell, two persons fell off on the return journey. An excursion to the rain forest for three and a half hours ended up taking over seven hours due to late leaving, towing in a broken down tour boat and the captain of the tender refusing to tie up to the ship as his boat had been damaged earlier. The next tour also was delayed. At a stop at a native village we were told we could take pictures of the children with their pets, this turned out to be baby animals from the jungle,(peccaries, sloths, cayman, lizards etc. So much for conservation, Saga should not encourage this. The flight back to UK was delayed with little information why. On complaining to Saga we had a very dismissive letter saying it was all beyond their control. My second letter to them was not answered. My first and last Saga cruise.

Amazonian misadventure

Saga Pearl II Cruise Review by dewberry

• Sail Date: January 2013
  • Destination: South America
  • Cabin Type: Two-Bed Superior Outside

My first and last Saga cruise.
dewberry’s Full Rating Summary
Rates

Two-Bed Superior Outside
Cabin K 201
Good quiet location, window needed cleaning on outside.
  Saga Pearl II Deck Plans