Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review

Norwegian Jewel - Western Mediterranean

Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review by polecat1

• Sail Date: Sep 2006
  • Destination: the Western Mediterranean

I recently returned from from a 12 day cruise of the Western Med aboard the NORWEGIAN JEWEL.

I was very disappointed with the food on the ship, as it was the worst of all my cruising so far. If you wanted a very good meal you needed to pay for it. Cagney's Steakhouse cost me 60.00 for a good meal and they nickel and dime you to death.

I have never been on a cruise where my baggage was not in my room when we boarded the ship, as this was the case this time. When I called to find out where it was, they stated that they had until 7:00 PM that night to get it to us. Where in all the literature (web site or brochure) is this stated?

We arrived in Barcelona and after a three hour tour by bus we were allowed on board. Since we were tired and wanted to get some sleep and clean up, we could not as we did not get our baggage until after 5:00PM. Barcelona was a bust and a waste of time for us because of this problem.

We wanted to go on the Jump on Jump of bus but never had the chance. The tours were very good and was the highlight of the cruise was a previous Manager of the restaurants on the Crown Odyssey from Orient Lines was in charge on the Jewel and was kind enough to have a special dinner just for us and 4 other couples. I had ordered a wine and fruit to be in my stateroom (For my Wife's birthday Sept 12th) when we arrived and I got it two days into the trip. I thought that you might have left us a bottle also.

On the Free Style dinning we did not like it as they state that you can eat anytime and this is not ture. Most close at 9:00 or 10:00 PM and you can get leftovers at the Garden cafe only.

To get a good meal I eat just about once a day at the money restaurants We were looking forward to having Lobster and the one we were served at the free restaurant was overcooked. I sent it back three times then left for another restaurant to eat at. We went to the steak house and had to spend an additional 60.00 to get lobster and steak what a rip off. Best meal I cannot say for sure.

But, shore excursion were very well organized and went without any problems, which I must say was great seeing that you had 2,000 plus people on board. I thought it was all done in a first class manner.

The other problem is that they do not go the extra mile for anyone since they have to split up the 10.00 dollars a day per person between them. ( They get it no matter what.) I wanted my 10.00 dollars a day to go to the folks that did the most for you. We did tip some extra money and when I left my bill was over 2,000.00 dollars.

A luxury cruise vacation should be remembered for a lifetime, but I will never forget this one.

By the way, 125 folks did not get there bags the first day and I know of at least four that never got them.

Two extra days in Istanbul. The hotel in Istanbul was nice, but the Marmara Hotel would have been much better as it is in city center and the cab drivers do not rip you off. We could not get into the restaurant I wanted to eat at as there was a convention going on, but we did enjoy Istanbul.

I would not recommend NCL to anyone at any time and now I am looking to Holland America, Celebrity, Oceania South America Asia China late 2007.

polecat1's Full Rating Summary