• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19
  • Deals

Mariner of the Seas Review

Editor Rating
4 Awards

Great week, some things to consider

Review for Mariner of the Seas to the Western Caribbean
fitzjount
6-10 Cruises • Age 40s

Sail Date: Mar 2013
Cabin: Promenade Stateroom

This was my first cruise on Royal Caribbean and overall I was pretty impressed. The cleanliness, food, staff friendliness and entertainment were all very good. Its been 3 days since I left and my post cruise depression has hit hard!

As some other reviewers have pointed out, the embarkation process in Galveston is awful. It took us almost 5 hours to get from the curb to deck 4. Once we arrived on-board, we were hastily shuffled to our muster area since the lifeboat drill was taking place. A "welcome aboard" would have been nice. As a former naval officer, and avid cruiser, I understand the importance of the drill, but after waiting in line for hours to board, the only thing we wanted was to drop our bags off and sit down. Instead we stood around until the drill was over and finally navigated our way to our SR.

I never took advantage of eating at one of the premium dining locations since I was very satisfied with the food selection and choices in the Main Dining Room. The menu variety each night made it hard to choose. Our table was in Top Hat and Tails on deck 4, port side. It was a quiet location, but still offered a great view of the dining room. Our waiter, Zaldy was terrific and was training his assistant waiter Hang. Though this was obvious, there were never any delays or interruptions in service. In previous cruises on other lines, espresso or cappuccino were included in the price. However RCCL feels this requires an additional charge to serve, which is ridiculous. What I found even more bizarre was someone came to our table every night with a tray of shots. Each one was $8.25 (you keep the glass). Maybe I am a sage 32 year old, but a shot right after dinner doesn't entice me. Why not offer this sort of thing on the Promenade after dinner? I bet they would make more money and not feel like Carnival.

Promenade Stateroom

Cabin PR

PR Stateroom was a great value and the extra seat offered a little more storage and an added sitting area!

previous reviewnext review