Nieuw Amsterdam Cruise Review by sswingfield
- Sail Date: April 2013
- Destination: Eastern Caribbean
- Cabin Type: Deluxe Ocean-View Verandah Stateroom
- i dont like dressing up on vacation so as usual loved being able to order off the dinner menu and eat on my balcony, sometimes in a tshirt gown hehe. Food was delicious, filet mignon one night, beef wellington another prime rib etc. My husband thought the lamb and fish were outstanding. But dont miss the buffet the night they do the dutch/german food. The enormous apple pie was amazing.Delicious cheeses and salads and i went to the other side and they had a fabulous beef sirloin. I would also go to the buffet for cheese plates and fruits. Lunch was very good, but often i would just go the little sandwich place since they were so good. Very good turkey burgers, salmon burgers and fries. Don,t miss the international flavours section for lunch. Had excellent japanese, indonesian and indian food. The mexican and italian sections were very popular. Breakfasts as usual excellent. Whatever shall i do without my eggs benedict bar, hehe. Juices fruits bacon and oatmeal very good. I am not fond of waffles but they smelled so good and had such interesting toppings i tried them and got hooked they were so good.as usual enjoyed the high teas. My favorite happened on the first sea day. Amazing savories and custard eclairs. Desert night was fun.. Such pretty presentation wish i had taken pictures. The chocolate cake, candied apples and chocolate dipped fruit were outstanding
. Staff as usual were so sweet. They really go out of their way to help you. Have to say hals staff are the best. As usual i loved the thallosotherapy pool spent a lot of time there. Their ceramic beds looking out over the ocean with little fountains and aromatherapy in the steam rooms. Love the rain shower.
As usual really enjoyed the explorations cafe and library. Read several books and enjoyed the paperback exchange with other cruisers. Love the cushy chairs, beautiful views and free pastries.
I didnt have to go to shows alone this time since my husband actually really enjoyed the celtic singers and the comic man who had worked for a circus. I wish they would have more comics and maybe a blues band.
I got a bit burnt at st martin. Couldnt resist orient bay and played in the waves all day. Wore my husband out shopping in san juan wish i had shopped in st martin more though. As usual adored half moon cay. I snagged a hammock and totally enjoyed looking at the crystal clear water and perfect beach. Great barbecue lunch as usual. Really nice cruise, just think i like the smaller hal ships better.
- Read more Holland America Nieuw Amsterdam Reviews
- Read Cruise Critic's Holland America Nieuw Amsterdam Review