3. Splendour of the Seas
Just returned from a fabulous vacation aboard "Splendour of the Seas." We did the 11 day Circle the Caribbean. November 27 - December 8. Saturday - Flew from Vancouver, Canada to Miami two days before hand (smart). Spent the evening hanging around our Hotel (Sonesta Beach Resort) and having drinks at the Pool Bar - great bartender - Gino! Sunday - Went exploring South Beach in the morning -- what an excellent place for people watching. We had a fantastic time. Stopped for lunch on Ocean Drive and watched the "creatures" go by. Then we took a cab to Bayside for a little shopping. Returned to the hotel for dinner. Monday - Took a cab to the port at about 11:30 did all the checking in which is a story unto itself. They seemed to think my Canadian Landed immigrant status had expired (I'm English) -- put the fear of God into me -- little did I know that they can't read but of course I didn't get my documents back until the end of the cruise so I spent 11 days dreading going through US Immigration and the threat of having to pay $170 US that RCI informed me I would have to pay. Turned out no problem with immigration and didn't pay a dime. B Boarded without incident we were in our cabin by about 12:30. We booked 7128 at the aft -- oh my goodness were we ever pleased with this cabin. The "Ds" on the side had two small chairs and one small table. We had one small chair, one small table and three lounge chairs. It was huge. Will always try to book an aft cabin from now on. Bought two litres of Vodka on board for $19.00 no problem taking them back to the cabin. On this subject -- we bought beer in Jamaica and Grand Marnier in Grand Cayman - no problem taking it to your room. Tuesday - Key West - we didn't book any excursions here, just did our own thing and walked around. The town is very easy to navigate. We walked the length of Duval Street, every second store is a T-shirt shop. Stopped at Margaritaville for Margs and a T-Shirt, cheeseburgers looked good but we just had a drink. More shopping -- on to the Key Lime Pie store -- yum!! Key West Aloe - we were thankful later in the cruise. Then off to Mel Fisher Museum - worth the $6. Bought pop and juice in Key West. Wednesday - At Sea - little cloudy so we relaxed most of the day. Played golf, played Bingo, drank, slept, drank, ate, danced, slept. Thursday - Cozumel - didn't book any excursion-went shopping in the morning, boy are they aggressive -- worse than Jamaica. Got tired of that after about 5 minutes and went to Carlos and Charlies for margaritas. After shopping we took a cab to Chankanabb (sp) this would have been a good trip if the weather was better, but it was choppy and cloudy. We watched the dolphins for about ½ hour, and lay on the beach until it started to spit then headed back to the ship. Friday - Grand Cayman - went snorkeling with the Stingrays - what a trip - we will never forget this - you have to do it at least once. The water was wonderful and the stingrays are so graceful not slimmy at all. One women freaked that "something touched her" well what did she expect. Went back into Georgetown in the afternoon for a little shopping, bought our Rum Cakes then the rain came and boy did it come down - I was offered money for my hat about three times. Saturday - Jamaica Mon! -- we had planned to spend the day at Sandals, but then we found out they want $40 each way for the Cab, never mind the entrance fee. Sandals Dunns River is only about a 7 minute drive if that and I'll be damned if I'm paying $80 US for a cab. So, instead we booked the ships excursion to Dunn's River Falls and were glad we did, we had a great group and tons of fun. Never stopped laughing. Yes, you get very wet! You have to go out through the "market" they are aggressive but in a very kind way if that makes sense, they really are charming if you get the right guy. We bought a $10 T-shirt and he made us a carving with our names in it. Next stop shopping malls -- we stocked up on our Blue Mountain Coffee here and I bought some Tanzanite - good prices. Sunday - It's raining -- must be a Sea Day - see Wednesday - but it's really raining this time. Monday - Aruba - my favourite. What a wonderful island -- the people were so friendly -- the sun was shining, by husband won $450 us on a nickel machine. We did the 5 hour, snorkel and sail with the barbecue lunch and beach break -- wonderful time, great catamaran -- the snorkeling wasn't great but a wonderful way to see Aruba the beaches looked wonderful. We will be returning to Aruba. Tuesday - Curacao - another great port -- we did the Liquor, plantation house and seaquarium tour -- was pretty good. A nice short excursion to get a little history of the island -- walked around downtown for the rest of the day -- nice little area, stopped at "time out" for some beers and food. They had good prices for jewelry. We pulled out of the port just at sunset - Aww! Wednesday - Day at Sea - have to get some sun! Sat on our deck most of the day, had a few cocktails, played a little golf. Thursday - last day - Day at Sea - how can I get sun with all these damn clouds? Lost money in the casino, played Bingo and didn't win. Have no talents so I couldn't participate in the Talent Contest. Packed - how depressing, played golf before the rain came again -- which it did! Friday - Disembarked - no problems -- just line ups. Then very long flight back to Vancouver. We had a six hour holdover in Dallas - just when they announced the Florida Supreme Court had voted for the recount -- not a happy place. This was a great vacation and having a balcony was wonderful, I don't think I could do an 11-day without one. Just the quiet times we spent together watching the water is priceless. Yes, there are more things that I could complain about, but I'm not going to because they are petty and didn't ruin the overall experience. Good Things: Our dinner table -- wonderful people, wonderful waiters, and the food was pretty good. Very attentive waiters. And my poor husband he was the only Canadian at the table and 7 brits. An Aft Cabin - the best! We had great neighbours too. The Ports - Cozumel and Jamaica are the only ones I wouldn't hurry back to. Western Quest - This is the funniest thing I have ever seen. We had half-naked people behind us because a team needed their pants. I've never seen women take their bras off so quick. Do not miss this. Not many kids The champagne terrace every night before dinner! Bad Things: Our Cabin Steward - she was new and maybe we expected too much, but no towel animals, took her a couple of days to empty the outside ashtray. We noticed a few cabin stewards cleaning the deck window -- ours was filthy. One night she completely forgot about us, no turndown service, no new towels, no ice -- she didn't come in the room. The other funny thing she did was we had a few excursions with water -- she never provided us with beach towels -- we had to get our own from the pool. Then the day we do Curacao with no water, we get beach towels. We did cut her tip by about 20 percent, and gave the extra to our waiters. The champagne terrace every night before dinner -- people this is a champagne bar, if you want a beer and want to sit down, go next door to the schooner bar. Our poor waitress was running back and forth getting your highballs when she should have been serving champagne. General Observations: Tons of Seniors Some people just don't understand the word "Formal" 12/13/00

Splendour of the Seas

Splendour of the Seas Cruise Review by Tracey L

• Sail Date: December 1899
  • Destination:

Good Things:

An Aft Cabin - the best! We had great neighbours too.

The Ports - Cozumel and Jamaica are the only ones I wouldn't hurry back to.

Not many kids

The champagne terrace every night before dinner!

Bad Things:

General Observations:

Tons of Seniors
Some people just don't understand the word "Formal"
12/13/00