• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19
  • Excursions

Zaandam Review

Editor Rating
5 Awards

A sad experience with HAL a cruise line that I loved

Review for Zaandam to the Mexican Riviera
ldphotography
10+ Cruises • Age 70s

Sail Date: Mar 2013
Cabin: Large Outside Stateroom (fully obstructed views)

I try to sail on a HAL ship once every 2 years. I normally go to the Mexican Riviera in the winter to use their excellent thermal suite and work out equipment. I consider it my spa week to relax. This was my first time on the Zaandam. I liked the layout of the ship; smaller than most but not crowded even though it was Easter break week.

We ( my son and I ) were upgraded to a partial blocked outside cabin, 3383. This was not an upgrade. The cabin was large but from the moment we entered I knew we would have a problem. The diesel fuel smell in the cabin was overwhelming and the A/C was hardly working. We immediately called downstairs; they said the smell would go away when we started sailing and sent someone up to look at the A/C. The repair man came up and said that the cabin was hot and that they would adjust it downstairs. We went off to sign up for the thermal suite package and I did not think about it again. When we came back to the cabin after dinner the smell was still bad and the A/C was still not working well. Our cabin steward apologized and got us a fan. He did what he could but he looked like this was not the first time this cabin had a problem. I tried to sleep with the fan blowing the fumes in my face. At 1 am I gave up; I had a terrible headache from the fumes and felt sick to my stomach. I went to the front office and asked if there was anywhere I could sleep. The lady said ; sorry we are completely booked. She was sorry I was sick from the cabin fumes but there was no room in the inn. I offered to sleep in the infirmary, I just needed some sleep and some clean air. No the infirmary was closed. So I told her I would sleep in the library. I went up and slept on the library couch for 2 hours, woke up without the headache and went back to my smelly cabin. The smell did get better the next day, the A/C never did and after 2 days of asking for help we gave up and kept the fan going. The toilet in the cabin worked most of the time; only had to have it fixed 2x. Avoid this cabin.

The rest of the trip was fun. Went on the whale watching trip and saw a couple of whales ( the end of March is really too late in the season). We enjoyed the thermal suite and worked out everyday on the new equipment. We spent some time in the casino , contributing to the casino's retirement fund. The casino manager was great. The comedian , Dan Grueter was wonderful and we were sad that he only did one show. The singers and dancers were good and did their best with the small stage and the simple sets. We enjoyed the cooking demo, the computer classes and the DJ in the Crow's nest.

Large Outside Stateroom (fully obstructed views)

Cabin HH

Room 3383; Bad; fuel smells first day, poor A/C entire cruise, toilet broke occasionally.

Good; great steward, large room, plenty of storage

Port Reviews

Puerto Vallarta

We did not go on the cruise for the ports. Only got off for 2 hours on the second day in port. Went to the Cathedral ( very nice) and did a little shopping.

Cabo San Lucas

Took whale watching tour from the ship. I asked the excursion desk person if there were still whales being seen since this was the end of the season. He said ; "Yes, lots of whales". So I purchased the ticket. The captain of the whale watching ship told us that we would be lucky to see any whales but that the drinks were free and we could have extra tequila if we wanted. We did see 4 whales but only their backs as they broke the water to swim. I would advise against taking this tour at the end of March and do not believe the desk person because he must not have known.

Find a Zaandam Cruise from $849