3. Adventure of the Seas
We just returned from our spring break cruise aboard the Adventure of the Seas (AOS). We were on the 7-night Southern Caribbean itinerary that included the following ports: St. Croix, St. Maarten, Antigua, St. Lucia and Barbados. We sailed out of San Juan Puerto Rico. This was our first time in San Juan and our first time at any of these ports of call. First let me say that we loved the AOS! For us (mom, dad, 15 yr old daughter and 13 yr old son), the size of the ship was great. Not too big, not too small. We are used to smaller ships (Disney ships and Royal's Majesty & Legend of the Seas), so this was a step up size-wise for us. I have read a lot of negative reviews about Pan American pier in San Juan and their check in process. We had a very pleasant experience. We arrived late (around 3pm) on purpose as we were hiking in El Yunque earlier in the day. I think we waited 30 minutes to check our bags, 15 minutes to get through security and had NO WAIT at all to check in! Crown & Anchor members had a separate line to wait in and we sailed right on through (pardon the pun). Granted, it's not a pretty port (not like Port Canaveral), but it served its purpose. I wasn't there to sight see at the port.... We stayed in cabin 7650, a Superior Oceanview with Balcony. It was a port side cabin located mid/aft (more aft). We loved the balcony and am very glad we had it. It would have been tight quarters without it! The room had a great view, was quiet, and the location was perfect where we barely felt any ship movement. As far as the ports are concerned - they were great!!!! We only did one excursion with the ship. Otherwise we either did stuff on our own or with private tour companies. Highly recommend Cosol's island tour in St. Lucia and Eli's Eco Tour in Antigua!!!! My kids did not participate in the teen programs. Not for any reason other than they would just prefer to hang out with us. So, unfortunately, I cannot review those programs. From what I saw on their daily compass, the activities seemed fun. There weren't any teen-specific excursions, which I think would definitely be an added value to the itinerary. Overall, we had am absolutely wonderful experience with the Adventure of the Seas. We would love to sail with her again on the 2nd portion of her itinerary to Aruba!!!

Spring Break Adventure aboard the Adventure of the Seas

Adventure of the Seas Cruise Review by depwife

depwife’s Full Rating Summary
Rates
Get Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas price drops

Port side cabin located mid/aft (more aft). Beautiful, unobstructed view. Quiet, easy to access location (not a long walk. Lots of storage space, easily fit all of our clothes and supplies (we over packed slightly). Didn't feel much ship movement, except for the last night when we sailed through a front. Bed was SUPER comfortable, duvet & pillows were SUPER comfortable. Had no problem maintaining room temperature. Great cabin!!
  Adventure of the Seas Deck Plans

• Antigua
    We loved St. John's Antigua!!!!!!

Here wee took Eli's Eco Tour with Adventure Antigua. If you Google Eli's Eco Tour in Antigua, you will find it. Highly rated on Trip Advisor and WELL worth every penny!! We got a great island tour on a catamaran, a stop at Hell's Gate where we had the option to climb, swim, snorkel or stay on the boat, a trip to a private beach with a nature walk to the top of a hill with an incredible view, a delicious lunch back on the boat (chicken, salad, pasta salad, drinks, banana bread), and then even had time for snorkeling. Would definitely do this trip again!

Because we were on the boat tour, we didn't get to see the inner parts of the island, but from the coast - wow! What a view!
    View All 1,547 Antigua Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Antigua Cruise Port Review
  • Barbados
    In Barbados we weren't sure what we were going to do. It was Good Friday and almost everything was closed. We spoke with one of the Managers at the port shopping and she recommended The Boatyard. It's at Carlisle Bay, just a short taxi ride from the port. For $12 US per person, you get beach chairs, umbrellas, a free drink, water activities (trampoline, ice berg, rope swing, dive platforms) and a shuttle back to the port!!!! There is a bar/restaurant (prices on the menu are in Barbados dollars). And just 3 minutes down the beach is an area where you can swim out to snorkel with the turtles (for free!)!!

It was the most beautiful crystal clear water I've ever swam in. Not amazing snorkeling, but my family did get to see sea turtles, which was very exciting.
    View All 1,521 Barbados Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Barbados Cruise Port Review
  • St. Croix
    In St. Croix - we walked over to Rainbow Beach. It was about a 30 minute walk along the beach. Not recommended for everyone though - there were several areas where we had to climb over sharp rocks. For us, it added to the adventure!
    We got there early so we could get beach chairs and umbrellas ($4 each). We got a great spot up front! There is a bar & restaurant and they have killer rum punch - HOLY SMOKES!! We took a taxi back to port and did some brief shopping at the street vendors. It was nice to not be pressured to get my hair braided like what happens in some other ports!

Just as a side note, you can take a taxi to Rainbow beach for $6 per person round trip, if you do not want to take the adventure down the beach.
    View All 421 St. Croix Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's St. Croix Cruise Port Review
  • St. Lucia
    Again, we LOVED LOVED St. Lucia!!!!

Here we did the island tour with Cosol (private company very highly recommended on Trip Advisor and Cruise Critic). If you are not interested in snorkeling and want to really see St. Lucia, DO THIS!!!!! It's an all day excursion - literally. You will be very well fed throughout the day. You will see beaches, mountains, rain forests, banana plantations, villages, waterfalls, volcanoes...you'll even get to snorkel at the base of the Pitons! The guys at Cosol are great, the tours are wonderfully executed and the experience is unforgettable!
    View All 1,387 St. Lucia Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's St. Lucia Cruise Port Review
  • St. Maarten
    In St. Maarten we took the Loterie Tree Farm Adventure with the ship. It was lots of fun with zip lining and adventure courses. If you haven't zipped before or are afraid of heights, this is not for you (in my opinion). It was a fairly short excursion that ended before lunch. We were in port long enough to complete the Loterie excursion, go up to the Windjammer for lunch, and get some shopping time in on Front St. There is also a very beautiful beach located between along Front St. and the ship. I wish we had been able to experience more of the island. This is definitely one port I would love to return to!
    View All 4,736 St. Maarten Cruise Port Reviews