Zaandam Cruise Review

Good but a bit of a disappointment

Zaandam Cruise Review by mistletoe

• Sail Date: Mar 2013
  • Destination: Hawaii
  • Cabin Type: Large Ocean-View Stateroom

I should preface this review by saying that even a bad cruise isn't totally bad. On the other hand, I haven't done a Carnival Cruise in a while (ha).

4 out of my last 5 cruises have been on Holland America but this Zaandam cruise was (by far) the worst.

My first cabin was 1882 on the Dolphin deck. On the first night of the cruise the seas became a bit rough and we began to hear this loud crashing noise as the ship rolled to starboard. Then 3 or 4 seconds later there would be another crash as the ship rolled back to port. Since the crashing noises always came in pairs, I have a hunch it was a heavy door opening and closing on the ship someplace. The guy in the cabin next to mine (1878) was going nuts by the second night. Others in that area of the ship were bothered by it too. The ship's crew would not tell us exactly what the problem was. They made plenty of suggestions but none of them made any sense. I am sure they knew exactly what the noise was because after many complaints, they finally gave us a different room.

The next room (2542) was not noisy but the toilets would not flush properly. I gave up complaining about that but I felt sorry for our room steward who ended up "manually" cleaning our toilet many times.

We also found both of our rooms to be incredibly uncomfortable to sit in. It was almost impossible to sit in bed and watch TV without leaning back against the light switches and turning the lights on and off. The couches were also very uncomfortable to sit in. I think both of our rooms had couches that converted into sleeping beds and were not really designed for the comfort of anyone who wanted to just sit on them.

Most of the food on the Lido deck was good but we found it difficult to get something as simple as ketchup. More often than not, the ketchup dispensers were empty or broken. The Asian food was good on the Lido, but trying to find a bottle of soy sauce was almost impossible. There was a ton of simple things like that could easily have been fixed but weren't. I also thought the Lido breakfast menu was a bit boring after 10 days of exactly the same menu. Most of the other cruise ships I have been on have had more variety.

One thing that was almost laughable was the portions of popcorn they served in the ship's movie theater. This was the first time in 25+ years of cruising that I actually attended a movie on a cruise ship. The day I was there we had at least 150 people for which the cruise staff brought in about 24 bags of popcorn. But the funniest part was the fact each bag held no more than 2 dozen kernels of popcorn. Obviously none of the crew had ever attended an American movie theater before.

Last year we took a two cruises on the Holland America Eurodam. My wife loved the free Tai-Chi classes that were held twice a day on the aft deck. Sadly, this cruise had no such classes. Obviously more cutbacks.

This cruise seemed to be less organized than other cruises too. This may be my last Holland America cruise and DEFINITELY my last cruise on the Zaandam. With some of the horror stories we have been reading about in the news, I am beginning to wonder about the cruise industry in general.

mistletoe's Full Rating Summary

Large Ocean-View Stateroom
Cabin E 1882

See Comments above for cabins 1882 and 2542

Maui

This was our favorite port. Shopping was great and the weather was too. Very friendly people too.

Kauai

Beautiful island with a great beach close to the cruise port. It would have been a great port to sit in the sun if we had had better weather.

Hawaii Volcanoes National Park

Great tour but a bit on the expensive side.

View All 153 Hawaii Volcanoes National Park Reviews
Mighty Mo

The awesome size of the great battleship and its historical significance was spectacular.

View All 25 Mighty Mo Reviews
Pearl Harbor

This was our first visit to Hawaii. A trip to the Arizona was a MUST for us. Very moving.

View All 212 Pearl Harbor Reviews