3. Adventure of the Seas
Cruisers  Me  Jess  30  5th cruise, 1st RCI DH  Dave  31  4th cruise, 1st RCI Julie and Glenn  early 30s  have done a few cruises, 2nd RCI (they did the Aruba route on the Adventure for their honeymoon 3 years ago) Cara and Scott  early 30s  2nd cruise  both on RCI (first one was a family cruise to Alaska 5 years ago) Julie and Glenn and Dave and I flew out of Hartford on 9/17 (embarkation day) and met Cara and Scott at the ship. They had flown down from Boston on Friday. Flight was uneventful, landed at about 11:30. We had our luggage, grabbed a cab and were at the pier in less than an hour. The longest part of that was waiting for them to get the luggage off the plane, and our garment bag was the LAST piece to come out! The cabs are really well organized in San Juan. We got in line, told them how many, how much luggage and where we were going, and they gave us a ticket with a price already on it. For 4 of us, 6 pieces of luggage and 3 carry-ons it was $25 to the pier, we gave the driver $30. Once we got to the pier it was a little confusing, none of the lines are marked. We figured out which was the luggage line and got in that, then got in the line to get through security. We had our Set Sail pass already filled out online so we got right in line to check in. It looked really long&but from the time we got out of the cab to the time we were checked in and had our Sea Pass cards was no more than 20 minutes!! Once we had our cards we headed to the ship&through security again to get our pictures taken (for security), up the gangway to get our pictures taken again (to buy later), and then through another security check point and then we were on the ship!! Total time from landing to walking through the doorway to the ship  just about an hour and a half! On a side note  we had thought about buying booze in the duty free shop at the port, glad we didnt, they were taking it at the last check point before you got on the ship. Cara and Scott did get a couple bottles on in their checked bags though. By this point it was only about 1 so our rooms werent ready. We headed to the Promenade and checked all that out. Dave and I made reservations for Portofinos for Wednesday night and then we headed to the dining room to check out our tables. Cara and Scott got stuck at a table across the dining room from us, so we asked to have them switched and were told to just come to dinner that evening and they would see what they could do. Scott went back down and sweet talked them later and they ended up creating a table for just the 6 of us. Dave and I bought the 7 bottle Platinum wine package at this point also. The guys headed up to the 19th Hole to get a drink and see if any football was on, and the girls headed to the Windjammer for lunch. Julie and I bought the soda package and it was definitely worth it. After that we went back to get the guys and headed to our rooms. Dave and I (and Julie and Glenn) had a Promenade Room on the 8th deck, Cara and Scott were in a hump balcony on the same deck. We unpacked our carry ons, I changed into my bathing suit and we headed out. I sat by the pool while Dave went to get something to eat, then we found Julie and Glenn and explored the ship for a couple hours. I made an appointment for a seaweed massage when we got to the spa&more later. We went back to our rooms at about 5 or so and our luggage was there. We spent the next couple hours unpacking and napping. Muster was at 8:30 so we got ready for dinner, did that, and then headed to dinner for 9. Ill review food and service later. After dinner we just hit the casino, walked around a bit, grabbed late night pizza at the Promenade Cafe and turned in. It had been a long day! Day 2  at sea. We got up and went to the Windjammer for breakfast. Dave and I found a couple chairs by the main pool (one in the sun for me, one right behind it in the shade for him) around 10 and settled in. The others found us and joined us for a while. The girls decided to try the dining room for lunch today since it was only offered today and one other day (Antigua). The boys played shuffleboard and then went to Windjammer. We all went to the wine tasting at 3:30&it was ok¬ the best one Ive ever been to. If you have a 2 for 1 coupon, do it, if not, its probably not worth the $10 each. After all that we met at the Solarium (adults only pool) and hung out there until about 5:30-6 and went back to our rooms to nap and relax before dinner, it was formal night. At around 7:45 we met at Cara and Scotts room, had a drink, and then went to the Promenade for the Captains Cocktail hour. After dinner we all changed and hit the bars on the ship. I know during the week we did a couple shows, hung out at Jesters, hung out at the Duck and Dog, and gambled a few times, I just cant remember what nights!! Day 3  Barbados. Cara and Scott wanted to snorkel so they booked an excursion through the ship. Not sure which one it was, but they loved it. The rest of us grabbed a cab and headed to The Boatyard. The cab was $8 per person, The Boatyard was $15 each. The fee included use of all their facilities, a chair, a free drink, and a shuttle ride back to the ship. For another $2 we got a HUGE umbrella. Niko helped us out all day, he was awesome. This place was beautiful. The water was gorgeous, they had water trampolines and little inflatable rock wall you could climb, they also had a rope swing. There were some vendors pushing stuff, but they were nice, took no for an answer, and generally didnt bother us much. We spend a few hours there and then headed back to the pier at about 1:30. There were some shops so walked around a little, didnt buy much. Once back on board we dropped our bags off and had lunch at the Windjammer and headed to the Solarium. Julie and Glenn went to Portofinos for dinner, the rest of us went to the dining room and then hung out at various places after dinner. Day 4  St. Lucia. Cara and Scott went on their own again and did the Aerial Trek through the ship. They LOVED it. Dave and I had done it in Puerto Vallarta on our honeymoon and loved it, too. The other 4 of us booked an island tour through the ship. We were on an air conditioned bus and they took us through the city and out into the country. We stopped at a look out to take pictures of the island and our ship, and then headed to a Batik fabric making shop. It was really neat and they had UNBELIEVABLE prices on clothing, bags, and various other items. After that they took us to the other side of the island where we could see the Atlantic on one side and the Caribbean on the other. Next was a stop at a beach for a couple hours&the beach wasnt the best, and the vendors were pushy, but the water was gorgeous. After the beach they took us back to the ship. It was already 3 at this point so we went to Johnny Rockets for lunch -- well worth the $4 charge&YUM. After that it was our usual routine of the Solarium, relaxing in our rooms, dinner and drinks/bars. Dave and I did Portofinos for dinner and then met the rest of them. Day 5  Antigua. I had my massage at 8 and then we decided to all take a cab to Runaway Bay on the recommendation of the ship. BIG mistake. It was right near a swamp and cow pasture so it smelled, and the facilities werent great. It rained most of the morning, too, so that didnt help. We stuck it out for a couple hours and then went back to the pier. The vendors here were AWFUL. We barely walked around, just went back to the ship for lunch. It had been raining most of the day and the sun was coming out so we did the Solarium thing again! Day 6  St. Maarten. Our original plan was to do Orient Beach, but the boys and Cara were beached out so we just took the water taxi to the one right across from the ship. It was awesome. We rented chairs ($20 for 6) and umbrellas and hung out for a couple hours. The water and service were awesome and the vendors werent pushy. When we had had enough we shopped&this is the best place to shop. After shopping we kind of all split up and grabbed a water taxi back to the pier&we had decided earlier that we would meet at Fat Tuesdays before getting back on the ship. WE all eventually made it, Cara and Scott decided to shop more, the rest of us went back to the ship about 4:30 (had to be back by 5). Cara and Scott found some great deals and were among the last to board! Back to the Solarium for our usual! Day 7  St. Thomas. Cara and Scott decided to just shop in the morning so we made plans to meet them at the Paradise Point tram at 1:30 and the rest of us got a cab to Megans Bay. This place is gorgeous. While the beach itself isnt the best, the views and the water are breathtaking. Also, its a private beach so that meant NO VENDORS!!! We rented chairs and found some shade and just relaxed. Around 12:30 it started to sprinkle so we took our time packing up and got a cab to the tram to meet Cara and Scott. Once we were all together we headed to the top. The views were the best we had all week, but everything up there is EXPENSIVE. We took the tram back down and walked back to the ship. Julie and Glenn stopped to shop, the rest of us headed to the Solarium for the last time. They met us and we stayed until we really HAD to leave to get ready for dinner. Day 8  Disembarkation. We were group 3. Our flights werent until 6PM so we stayed in our rooms until 8 and then went to the dining room for breakfast. We took our time eating and then waited for a while in Studio B. Our group was called before 9, but we hung out until about 10. We timed everything right. From the time we left Studio B to the time we were in a cab was ½ hour&this was getting off the ship, waiting in line to get our bags, getting our bags, going through customs, and checking in for our flights! We took a cab to Old San Juan, walked around a bit, hung out in a couple bars, had lunch, and went to the airport for about 3. We had already checked in so we just had to do security. We were at our gates by 3:45&hit the duty free and just hung out. Flights home were uneventful. Food  Overall very good. We were never disappointed with our choices in the dining room. We asked the first night for shrimp cocktail and got it every night. The lunch in the dining room was great. The Windjammer wasnt the best. They had the same lunch everyday and it was never very hot. There were a few items that were fantastic&everything else was just ok. The breakfasts were a little better&the made to order omelets were great&worth waiting in line for. We only did breakfast in the dining room on the last day and it was very good. We did breakfast from room service one day and it was perfect&they called right before they brought it up so we were ready, and it was always good. Johnny Rockets was exactly what we expected. All you can eat fries and onion rings, they were yummy, and the burgers were awesome. Service  Excellent for the most part. Our room steward was David Johnson. He was very nice, very efficient. Our room was always clean. The only bad thing was that he didnt always take the empty glasses we would end up with at the end of the night. The service in the Solarium was awesome. We spent a LOT of time there and the waiters and bartenders took very good care of us! Our dining staff was the best Ive had in 5 cruises. Our waiter was Tyrone from South Africa. He was fantastic. We stayed a while after dinner talking to him almost every night. This was also the first cruise where the head waiter spent more than 5 minutes all week at our table&he stopped to see us every night. Spa  Great. The staff was very nice and my massage was great. It was 1.5 hours&a 20 minute seaweed wrap, shower, 10 minute dry wrap, shower, and then a massage. The technician who helped me was great and didnt try to push any products on me. Entertainment - The only good show that we saw was the Beatles tribute one (can't remember the name) and they were awesome. WE had a tons of fun. Right after them there was a really good comedian. We also saw El Goucho...wasn't terribly impressed with him. What he did was cool...it just took a long time. The Love and Marriage game show was hilarious as usual, as was the Quest. The singer in the Duck and Dog was good, but not terribly friendly and not open to requests. Ship  It was beautiful, we didnt even get to experience a lot of it! I dont think Ill do 5 ports in a week again, I feel like we missed to much of the ship. There were places were didnt even see! Our room was an inside room overlooking the Promenade. While I LOVED having a balcony in the past, I would book this category again for the price. It was nice that it had the window to the Promenade, it didnt feel like a true inside. The only thing I would change is the location, I would go towards the middle of the Promenade&we were at one end and we couldnt really see what was going on. Cant wait to cruise RCI again!!

Adventure of the Seas - Southern Caribbean

Adventure of the Seas Cruise Review by jess98ac

Cant wait to cruise RCI again!!
jess98ac’s Full Rating Summary