3. Navigator of the Seas
Don't get me wrong. It wasn't an absolute horror story cruise. But having tried other destinations with other cruiselines, this trip fell short for the dollar. My initial impression of RCI is that it's for the 18-30 crowd. There were MANY highschool/college aged kids running around, as well as kids 6-16. Maybe not a family oriented at Carnival, but definitely not catering to the Celebrity cruiser. I have to say my favorite Cruise line to date has to be Princess. A big part of that has to do with the food and entertainment. With that being said... RCI Likes: -For the most part, staff was very friendly. Our stateroom attendant was exceptional. I also like the towel animals he folds and leaves on our bed. -Promenade area was BEAUTIFUL. -Live poker in the casino instead of utilizing those digital poker tables. -Initial boarding was quick and painless. They have that down to a science. -Beautiful art collection on display in hallways and stair cases. -Great gym facilities. RCI Dislikes: -Only a few swimming pools and hot tubs? Their competitors offer sometimes double the pools/tubs. -The live entertainment and movie screening room was a joke. -I was told balcony rooms had flat screen tv's? NOPE. -Carpets in hallways were super dated and old; reminded me of Vegas in the 80s. -The food was 1 step above cafeteria grade. Nothing seemed fresh. Being that this was my first cruise with RCI, I thought they observed other cruiseline's practice of picking up fresh/local foods from every port stop. NOT THE CASE. Everything tasted frozen fresh. -Soft drink package at $54. OUCH. And yes, automatic gratuities added. -When I'd go to the bars and ask for a soda with my prepaid card, the bartenders always gave me a dirty look because they're not making the additional sale, like he's doing me such a huge favor filling a cup up with ice n Coke. -Speaking of the sodas, they tasted horrible. I know these boats have purifiers on board, but they need to change the filters or something because the water they serve for teas, coffees, flavored water, etc, just tasted funky. And this water made the sodas out of the fountains taste funky too. -The cooking station staff in the buffet was hit or miss. One night, they will go out of their way to get you an ingredient you requested on your omelet that they didn't have sitting around. I asked for bananas in my crepe, and it wasn't at their station, though the fruit area was 8ft away, and the guy gave me an attitude that they don't offer it. That's what happens when gratuities are prepaid on these trips. -No 24 hour buffet? The buffet closes between meals, and relatively early (9pm) at night. So what happens if you have a hankering for desert at 10? SOL. Or go to their BS cafe for a limited selection of dried up cakes n cookies. -The excursions were a let down. Yes you can travel to the Mayan temples, no you cannot get within 10 feet of the temples. You can't get the coveted pic of you scaling the sides of the temple; probably something they should tell you before you book. I would have stayed in town and enjoyed the beach. Falmouth, OMG; imagine a slum, where a corporate entity (RCI) comes in, takes a beachhead, and drops a gated city block sized tourist trap full of their partner vendors (Diamonds Internationl, etc). Once you go outside that gated retail haven, you get mobbed by the locals. Not a very friendly town. I felt safer walking down the back alleys in Mexico at night than the main streets of Falmouth in broad daylight. I had a biggo angry local woman get in my face after I "no thank you'ed" her, screaming "I'm talking to you!"

My first and possibly last cruise with RCI

Navigator of the Seas Cruise Review by the kit

RCI Likes:

-Promenade area was BEAUTIFUL.

-Live poker in the casino instead of utilizing those digital poker tables.

-Initial boarding was quick and painless. They have that down to a science.

-Beautiful art collection on display in hallways and stair cases.

-Great gym facilities.

RCI Dislikes:

-The live entertainment and movie screening room was a joke.

-I was told balcony rooms had flat screen tv's? NOPE.

-Carpets in hallways were super dated and old; reminded me of Vegas in the 80s.

-Soft drink package at $54. OUCH. And yes, automatic gratuities added.

the kit’s Full Rating Summary
Rates

We had the 2nd to last cabin to the rear of the ship. On other lines, there was a stairway up the backside of the ship to traverse up and down. Not on Navigator. We had to go midship to get to the stairs/elevators.

We reported a noisy balcony door because the seals are going bad. After hours of waiting, the maintenance guy comes over to fix the bathroom door. We told him it was the balcony door. He's arguing with us on which door we reported. How's that work? Plus the door never got fixed.
  Navigator of the Seas Deck Plans

• Mayan Ruins
    Excursion took too long, at over $100/person, they offer you a snackpack of tuna fish, and crackers with a fruitpunch pouch as a "lunch" for a 6hr outing? Plus you can no longer climb up the Mayan temples for pictures. Of course, all the promotion pics for the excursion show someone enjoying scaling the temples with their families. Apparently they did away with that "8yrs ago". Plus you have to take a speedboad ferry to get to the destination. I was fine, but many passengers got sick on the ferry; the crew felt it necessary to pass out barf bags.

Once again, between actual excursion and all the long commuting, we didn't have time to enjoy the beautiful beaches of Cozumel.In hindsight, we should have made this port a beach day and just hung out in town and on the beach. Cozumel was probably the nicest Port of the 3 on this Western Caribbean cruise.
    View All 298 Mayan Ruins Reviews
  • Falmouth
    The town is a joke. It's literally a gated retail community put together by RCI to milk you of whatever dollars you have left. If you are courageous enough to venture outside the gates into town, be careful. It gets sketchy. I had a local offer my drugs 10ft away from a local law enforcement officer, right outside of the gates. The locals are super aggressive, demanding a reason why you're not shopping with them, and getting in your face, in short, very confrontational.

We took an excursion to the waterfalls. The site was nice, but the hosts stopped frequently so they can take pics to later attempt to sell back to you. I guess it wouldn't be so bad if you weren't soaking wet going up these falls for 45min. Nice to have done, wouldn't do again.
    View All 1,149 Falmouth Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Falmouth Cruise Port Review
  • Grand Cayman
    Waters were beautiful. Too bad the weather wasn't cooperating on our stop. I would have loved to enjoy the beaches. Speaking of which, you do have to cab it out to the beach for where you tender. No beaches were readily accessible from where the ferry drop off was.
    View All 2,840 Grand Cayman Cruise Port Reviews