3. Carnival Ecstasy
This was our 2nd cruise with Carnival and our first vacation without the kids. The cruise was to celebrate our 20th anniversary. Overall, we were very pleased with our cruise - service, cabin, food, value, etc. Let me start with our arrival at the Orlando airport. We arrived 2 days early to spend a day at Epcot Center. Then we drove to Cape Canaveral on Friday, the day before our cruise. We stayed at Residence Inn at Cape Canaveral - I highly recommend this place. Residence Inn offered a hearty complimentary breakfast. They have shuttle service from the hotel to the port. It's the closest hotel to the port, $3 one-way. I booked our cruise directly with Carnival and the booking experience was very pleasant. We upgraded to a Junior Suite with a balcony. The balcony was pretty snug but we got our very own space to enjoy the views without the crowds. Our cabin was on the Verandah Level with a limited amount of cabins. With our upgrade we received priority boarding and disembarking. To us, the extra perks was all worth the cost of the upgrade. With our priority boarding, we were on the ship by 11:30am. We travel light so we only had 2 carry-on bags that we rolled on to the ship ourselves. We were with the first group to disembark the ship. We rented a car one-way and arrived at Orlando airport before 11am. Just a note - if you plan to rent a car and drive to/from Orlando & Cape Canaveral, stock up on $5 in quarters. Some of the tolls do not have a live person to provide change and these spots accept exact change only.

Carnival Ecstasy

mrsdarcytravels’s Full Rating Summary
Rates

Junior Suite
Cabin JS V9
I was feeling a little skeptical about our cabin after we made the upgrade. Primarily because of all the reviews I read on CC forums. However, we were very pleased with our cabin, V9. Our views from our deck were great, no obstructions. Although our deck was above an open area below, we didn't experience hoards of people looking up at our deck as others have described. There was very little foot traffic below. Although the deck was pretty snug, no room to lay out, there was room for us to sit down and read and enjoy the sun without the crowds. Our own little private space.
Verandah Deck Inside Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Freeport
    It was unusually cold in freeze port, I mean, Freeport. It felt like we docked in Alaska! Our plan was to take a taxi to the International Bazaar. The taxis do not depart until the taxi is full to the max. So, we squished into the taxi. I think there were 14 of us in the van. All along I was thinking when should I tell the driver where we want to get dropped off. During the ride, the driver explained that not very many places were open because it was a Sunday. So, we just went with the flow. The driver took us to the other end of the island. Glad we went for the ride because the sun was out and we got to walk on the white sand beach a short distance from the shops.
    View All 1,231 Freeport Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Freeport Cruise Port Review
  • Half Moon Cay
    The highlight of our trip! Total relaxation on the white sand with crystal clear blue green water. The beach was so beautiful. Half Moon Cay is a small island with no traffic, no traffic lights, just white sandy beach bliss.
    View All 957 Half Moon Cay Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Half Moon Cay Cruise Port Review
  • Atlantis Aquaventure
    We went on the Atlantis Aquaventure excursion. The excursion was pretty pricey but we wanted to experience Atlantis. Atlantis is a wonderful resort. Our guide was very thorough explaining everything - lockers, towels, food, pick-up times, etc. We had a choice of foods from several restaurants. Overall, the experience at Atlantis was a good one. I would love to come back to Atlantis one day!
    View All 246 Atlantis Aquaventure Reviews