Wonderful 15-Night TA Cruise, Rome - Ft. Lauderdale: Celebrity Silhouette Cruise Review by Compass Rose Monica

Celebrity Silhouette 4
Compass Rose Monica
Member Since 2003
10,244 Forum Posts

Overall Member Rating

Wonderful 15-Night TA Cruise, Rome - Ft. Lauderdale

Sail Date: December 2012
Destination: Transatlantic
Embarkation: Rome (Civitavecchia)
This is a long report, so I'm skipping the details of my time in Rome. You can read all about it on my blog page: http://monicapileggi.blogspot.com/2013/03/trip-to-rome-and-15-night-cruise.html. I will say I hosted a pre-cruise party at a wine bar in Rome. About 45-50 people showed up. It was a blast!

I traveled with friends Carol and Glenn. My husband couldn't join me so I enjoyed my cabin to myself. I had lots of other friends on boards from past cruises.

1 December 2012 Saturday -- Rome to the Port

After breakfast and saying our goodbyes to everyone at the hotel we headed outside to wait for our car service with Rome Cabs (30.50 euros pp). Massimo was already waiting for us. It was nice to have him again as our driver and we appreciated his promptness.

The sun came out as we drove to the port of Civitavecchia. Check in took some time for me, which I didn't know why. Carol and Glenn were long gone and on the ship, but I met up with Christine and More Paul. We headed to our cabins with a glass of sparkling wine in hand. We quickly dropped off our bags and went to Bistro on Five for lunch (after getting another glass of sparkling wine). You can order various crepes (savory and sweet), soups, salads, etc. I had the seafood crepe and we each ordered different dessert crepes to share.

The ship is beautiful. I've been on the Equinox twice and Eclipse once. This was my first time on the Silhouette (will be sailing her again Octoer 2013). I love the S-class ships. They never feel crowded, as the various lounges and rooms are spacious and comfortable.

My aqua class cabin (#1635, room attendant was Zar) was located port side of the ship. Carol and Glenn were in 1633 and Christine and Paul were in 1637. We eventually opened the partitions on the balcony so we could enjoy cocktails together and talk while enjoying our sea days. There was angled post between my cabin and Christine's but they could step over it. My bed was close to the baclony. I usually book a room with the bed closer to bathroom/closet area. I did like this set up, so in the future, I'd be happy with any room configuration.

My luggage arrived so I unpacked and then went to the boat drill. Afterwards, we met up with other Cruise Critic members for a sail away party. It was dark by the time we left the port.

Dining in Blu is probably the best reason to splurge on an aqua class cabin. There are other perks but the food stands out in Blu. Blu is open seating and we usually arrived around 7:15-7:30pm for dinner. Most times it was the five of us; other times we had other friends join us.

For our first night we sat at one table but for the rest of the cruise, we sat closer to the entrance at a table for eight. We never had to wait more than a minute or so for our table, but there were a couple of nights that we had arrived later than our usual time and had to wait for a bit.

2 December 2012 Sunday -- Livorno Italy

I arranged for a private tour for eight people with Limoinrome.com (Claudio Caponera) to Florence and San Miniato. Our guide, Francesco, picked us up and we promptly headed out for the day. It was an overcast, rainy cold morning. As we left the port, Francesco asked why we had San Miniato on our list of sights to see and suggested we drop it and instead, visit San Gimignano in the afternoon. We were game.

Our first stop in Florence was to Piazzale Michelangelo where we had wonderful views of Florence. In the distance it was a long horizontal stretch of morning fog. Florence looked cold and old, yet magical. After the obligatory photo ops, we drove into the city and stopped to see the Church of Santa Croce. It was a Sunday so mass was taking place. A few of us quietly walked in and stood in a corner admiring the interior while listening to the mass.

Outside in the piazza, there was a Christmas market. There were vendors from different countries, including France and Germany. I picked up a couple of small items.

I walked around for an hour while the rest of the group visited the Accademia to see Michelangelo's David, an incredible piece of sculpture I saw several years back right after it had been cleaned. I purchased a beautiful purple leather purse and walked around while eating pistachio and Nocciola (hazelnut) gelato. Yum!

We were dropped off at Piazza della Repubblica and the group split up for an hour or so. Five of us headed to the roof top of the department store La Rinascente for lovely (and closer) views of the Duomo and nearby terra cotta rooftops. I knew we would not have time to go to the top of the Campanile, so this was the next best option. There's a cafe on the roof top, a nice place to consider on a future trip to Florence.

We walked to the baptistery and Duomo; then over to Piazza della Signoria. The ponte Vecchio was crowded (as always). I enjoyed looking at all of the gold jewelry on display in the windows. The river was quite muddy looking from the recent rains.

After checking out the leather market, we went to the van Francesco drove us out into the country side. Seeing all of the hills, the rows of poplars, vineyards minus its grapes, fall colors, and other picturesque scenery made me want to jump out and take pictures. I definitely need to plan a land-based trip soon where I could plop myself in an apartment someplace in Tuscany, rent a car, and take my time traveling the countryside with my camera and gear. The sun was out turning our day into a beautiful afternoon!

Francesco stopped at an area called Fattoria Poggio Alloro where we had views of the vineyards, country side and the towers of San Gimignano in the distance. The sun was not in the best direction to take pictures of San Gimignano. He was patient as we all gave him our cameras for group shots.

In San Gimignano we had a quick bite to eat in a small cafe (prosciutto cotto, mozzarella panino and wine) and then we walked on our own exploring this fabulous town. I was here several years ago and climbed a tower. This time I walked to the highest point possible and got some great photos of the towers (and countryside) at a somewhat closer eye level. I later purchased a pretty 'double' ceramic bowl for olives and pits.

Back at the port, we all thanked Francesco for a superb day (tour price 70 euros pp w/tip).

Happy hour on board the ship: Celebrity revised the Captain's Club Elite social hour (5-7pm) from having it in the observation sky lounge to passing out three coupons per day per member. I wasn't sure I would like this new format, as everyone would be spread out at the various bars on the ship rather than in one lounge. It worked out very well. My group of friends and I would meet at the martini bar almost every night and had the same waiter (Joey). We enjoyed our drinks and would use the third coupon for a glass of wine to take to dinner.

3 December 2012 Monday -- Genoa Italy

Genoa was one port that I was really looking forward to visiting. I spent a lot of time planning on what to see/do, as most museums and palazzo are closed on Mondays. With the help of a trip advisor friend (thank you Mary!), I was able to come up with full day itinerary. I also booked a private tour for the Palazzo del Principe. There were nine of us and I was the unofficial guide. It was another day that started out gloomy but the sun came out soon afterwards. It was quite cold too.

The old town area of Genoa is quite compact. We could have walked from the port but there was a metro station right across the street, so we saved time and leg work. Our first stop was to the San Lorenzo Cathedral. The inside was beautiful with arched columns, black and white marble; mosaic marble flooring, etc. But my main purpose was to see the treasury museum (6 euros) with its collection of silverware, jewelry, and religious artifacts. Only three of us visited the museum, while the rest had coffee across the street.

Next door was the Palazzo Ducale. This was once the home of the Doges of Genoa and is now a museum and arts exhibition center. There was a special exhibit of photographer Steve McCurry. You may know his works from National Geographic -- he's the one that took the photograph of the young Afghan girl with the piercing green eyes. He found her years later and took her photograph again. I wanted to see his exhibits but we had plans later in the afternoon to visit a palazzo for a private tour. There's also a tower at the Palazzo Ducale but it was closed until the afternoon. It would have been nice to catch some city views from above.

Next to Piazza de Ferrari was a small food stand with a few people making fresh focaccia with various toppings. I purchased one with cheese on top. It was tasty mid-morning snack.

There were many narrow streets that we walked along while window shopping and taking pictures. We saw some of the palazzo that were owned by the Andrea Doria family. I wondered what the interiors looked like.

I asked Valentina, who worked at the Palazzo del Principe, to make lunch reservations at Trattoria da Maria, Vico Testadoro 14 r. She was the person I was in contact with in securing our private tour to the Palazzo. Da Maria is located in a tiny alley, off one of the main shopping street. There were several rooms and we were seated way in the back. At first I thought, oh no, we're going to be stuck in a room with other tourists. Nope, the place filled up very quickly with locals. Our table had a reserved sign with my name on it.

We read through hand-written menu, which included some daily specials. I had fettuccini with pesto (a typical Genovese dish) followed by a veal/eggplant stew. Both were very good. We shared a couple of carafes of red wine. Prices were very reasonable: 10 euros for two items on the menu. The popular dishes went quickly.

Via Garibaldi is a colorful street line with beautiful palazzo. They were closed but we could walk into any open entrance way. Some of the ceilings had beautiful frescos, and some with grand staircases.

Jill and Kevin wanted to buy some Genoa salami to bring on the ship. Did we find any? No!! We were so surprised. None of the shops we found had any. They were disappointed.

It was a quick metro ride back to the port where we walked to the Palazzo del Principe for our 1-hour guided tour. It was wonderful having the Palazzo to ourselves. The tour lasted a little over an hour, as we visited several rooms while our guide explained many things. Most were empty with the exception of some furniture and paintings on the walls.

It was a full day in Genoa but a fine day. We were all ready to be back on board to relax for the evening.

This was probably the worse night we had in Blu. We waited a very long time to get our dinner. It was not due to our waiters quality of service but that there was not enough waiters to take care of a full dining room. There used to be a $5 surcharge for suite guests who could dine in Blu if there was space available. The fee was dropped and we believed the staff was letting suite guests in without consideration of the aqua class guests, who had priority. I was also very angry at the sommelier. The previous night I exchanged my sparkling wine that was in my cabin for a bottle of red wine. I had a couple of glasses and the bottle was stored for the next night. After asking for it he came back to the table stating I had finished it the night before. NOT true and I told him so right in front of the ma'tre-D. The bottle showed up at my table a few minutes later.

There were a few other nights that Blu was crowded. It didn't have the quiet, elegant atmosphere that we so enjoyed while on the Summit this past spring. Sometimes it felt like we were dining in the main dining room, which has a noisy banquet-hall atmosphere. Fingers are crossed for a better experience on our next Silhouette cruise, otherwise it might be our last time in Blu.

4 December 2012 Tuesday -- Toulon France

I booked a private tour for eight people with Transferts Services (http://www.transferts-service.com/). Two friends had to back out due to being sick but they paid their share. We were very fortunate to have Delphine as our guide and driver. She's a charming and lovely woman who enjoys taking travelers around her country. She's very knowledgeable and informative about the places we visited.

We met Delphine at 8:30am (we were docked in La Seyne sur Mer, across the bay from Toulon). The morning was overcast and rainy but the sun came out a little later and it was a beautiful day. The mistral winds blew all day long.

Our first stop was to Sanary sur Mer, a charming and picturesque water-front town. There were many colorful fishing boats docked in the small port. Near the main parking, a daily Proven'al market takes place, which is shaded by plane trees. We saw lots of fresh fruits, vegetables, meats, cheese, local products and interesting looking mushrooms and vegetables I couldn't identify. We walked through the town along the small pedestrian streets and window shopped.

We drove through Bandol (another lovely port town) to La Cadiere d'Azur, a small perched village. From atop, you can see lots of vineyards (already picked with some remaining leaves in their fall colors), olive trees, pine forests, and Le Castellet, another perched village across the way.

La Cadiere d'Azur felt like a sleepy village, rather than a tourist-filled village such as Saint Paul de Vence. I saw just a few residents going about their day. Two women were decorating their store front with Christmas decorations. We walked along the pedestrian-only streets taking lots of pictures of warm-colored buildings, narrow steps, doorways, and fountains. Delphine took us a bread/pastry shop where I picked up a fresh-made petit quiche. It was a delicious mid-morning snack as I walked along the village.

Between La Ciotat and Cassis we drove along D-141 called Route des Cretes. It's a narrow, no-safety-barriers, panoramic drive with breathtaking views of the mountains, Cassis, and the beautiful rich blue waters of the Mediterranean. Unfortunately for me, I was sitting up front and was very uncomfortable as we drove along the road. Delphine asked once in a while if I was okay. She was a very good driver so I knew we were in good hands.

We made two stops at look out points, the second having the most spectacular views. Far down below and across the way was Cassis. The sun had been out for a while now, so we took some wonderful photos of the area. Delphine told us to not get too close to the edge and I certainly listened to her, as it's a sheer drop down and the mistral winds were really blowing. In fact, as we were driving, Delphine said she was surprised we didn't see any other cars in the area or any heading in the opposite direction of us. Apparently when the winds are very high the road is closed for safety reasons. She wondered if it was closed on the other end that maybe the officials forgot to close our entry point. I got a little worried wondering if we were going to have to drive all the way back if the other end was closed. I was ready to get off this roller-coaster ride. This was a spectacular drive and not to be missed, albeit a nerve-racking drive for me.

By the time we got to Cassis, I was ready for a glass of wine and some lunch! Cassis was a striking and colorful seaside town. It reminded me of Sanary sur Mer but Cassis has lots of restaurants and cafes along the water area. There were lots of fishing boats too. We ran into some friends, who told us about a place where they ate for lunch. Cassis has lots of restaurants that were way over our budget so we went to Le Dom Camillo and ordered from their pre-fixe lunch menu. Select an entree to go along with the salad bar (nice variety of foods, including octopus). I had mussels in a tomato based broth, along with two glasses of red wine. Overall it was an okay meal.

After our time in Cassis, we continued on to Le Castellet. This is the village we saw across from La Cadiere d'Azur. Le Castellet has rampart walls, narrow streets, and small shops. In order to get back to the ship on time, we just took pictures from across the road. It's a town I'd like to explore on a future visit.

This was one of my favorite port days on this cruise. Delphine was a very good guide, friendly, helpful, and (I especially appreciated this) a fine driver. The price we paid (including Delphine's lunch and tip) was very reasonable for an all-day tour.

This evening was a formal night and I dined with a group of solo travelers in the main dining room. We were split between two large tables. Despite a brief and unpleasant encounter, I had good time chatting with my fellow diners along with a delicious dinner (beef carpaccio for an appetizer, rack of lamb for the entree, and dessert).

5 December 2012 Tuesday -- Barcelona Spain

Having been to Barcelona several times, I wanted to do a tour to Montserrat so I booked with Barcelona Day Tours (http://www.BarcelonaDayTours.com). I was there in 1996 with my Mother but when we visited Montserrat, it was an overcast and extremely foggy day that blinded our views of the mountains. I booked a tour for six people, but a few were still sick, so they canceled and paid their share of the money. So, it was just Carol, Glenn, and me for the day.

It was a beautiful perfect day with clear skies and temps in the low 60s -- probably one of the best days on the trip. The three of us took the local bus along with Dennis and Ray, who had been on my Florence tour. From the bottom end of Las Ramblas, we walked up the street and around the surrounding area. Street performers were setting up for the day. The flower stalls were bright, colorful, and included Poinsettia for the Christmas season. Las Ramblas has not changed.

Mercat de la Boqueria is one of my favorite indoor markets because of the displays of foods, offering many photo opportunities. It's one place in Barcelona I recommend to others to see, as it's such a lively place. Since we were traveling at the end of the tourist season, the market wasn't crowded at all. It was a delight to walk around without being pushed or shoved or bumped with carts toted by old Spaniard women.

Near the entrance of the market is a small eatery called Bar Pinotxo (Mercat de la Boqueria, Stall 466-467), and is quite popular with locals and tourists. A charming older gentleman took our order for bocadillos (Spanish style sandwiches, 3.50 euros) with meat, cheese, tomato (just a rubbing of the tomato on the bread), and olive oil. He was all smiles and thumbs up when I asked to take his picture. I later did a google search on the bar and found out that this gentleman was the owner and his name is Juanito Bayen. I also saw several photos with his smile and thumbs up. It must be his "signature."

Our handsome and charming guide, Armando, picked us up at the Hard Rock Cafe across from Placa Catalunya at 10:30am and we drove of Barcelona for our tour. He drove through some very expensive housing areas. I saw a few villas I wouldn't mind living in.

We could see in the distance the mountain of Montserrat, the location of the Benedictine abbey and basilica, Santa Maria de Montserrat. The mountain range is quite a sight to see. It's a long windy road getting to the top and it reminded me of the drive in France but this time with road barriers.

It was very cold up in the mountains, about 45 degrees but with the winds it felt even colder. I was glad I had my jacket and brought my gloves and scarf.

Armando was very passionate about Montserrat and the importance of the place for Catalans. He talked about the black Madonna and the history of the place. We were there at the right time to listen to the choir boys sing. Armando directed us to one spot where we could see the boys without anyone in front of us. Their singing echoed in the basilica with such graceful harmony. It was a certainly a moving experience for me. The basilica was completely full but once the boys left, the place quickly emptied out. We finished with a quick view of the Black Madonna.

There are three or four other abbeys in the area, none in use today if I remember correctly. Armando drove us to see one of them. The view of the abbey with the backdrop of the mountains was impressive.

Our sandwiches were quite good and we ate them while Armando drove down the mountain on the other side. You get a different perspective of this huge chunk of mountain, as the rock formations are different from area to area.

Armando made a short stop to Parc de Montjuic, where we had great views of Barcelona and even our ship in port. I could see Sagrada Familia in the distance. A lot more work has been completed but it will still take years before it's finished. I paid Armando, we thanked him, and we were back on the ship. He was a great guide and I loved the personal attention we received.

Onboard the ship the captain made a few announcements, including telling us there would be a delay in departure and stated we would be passing the Strait of Gibraltar the next evening around 6pm.

6 December 2012 Wednesday -- At Sea

Today was our first day at sea. After four days of sightseeing, it was nice to relax....well, not this day. My day consisted of breakfast (Tuscan grill dining room where the elite passengers could enjoy a light breakfast with fresh squeezed orange juice, cappuccino, or a bloody mary to name a few), attending the Cruise Critic connections party, listening to a lecture on the earth and plate tectonics, participating in the battle of the sexes game, hosting a wine tasting party, and cocktails in a friends room as we passed the Strait of Gibraltar. Phew!!

The connections party was fun. Many people showed up (around 150-180?) including some officers.

There were about 50 people who attended the wine tasting party. Each couple brought a bottle from their home town or from Rome and everyone had the opportunity to try the various types of wine. One woman scolded me for not requesting multiple wine glasses and spit buckets. This party was never meant to be a " formal tasting" event but a second opportunity for cruise critic friends to gather together again.

The battle of the sexes was lots of fun. I went a few times while on the cruise and each time there was a challenge. One of the funniest was that the men had to show up wearing lip stick and women with mustaches. Christine and I made mustaches from the leaf of the flowers in our rooms.

My friend Phil hosted a cocktail party in his cabin. He had an aft corner suite with a large balcony (wish I could afford such a cabin). There were about eight of us and we sipped on champagne and snacked on hors'dourves as we passed the Strait of Gibraltar at dusk.

We had dinner later than usual and had to wait quite a bit for a table. We were squeezed in a table for 4 and I sat on the end facing the window. Not my cup of tea, as I was pretty much sitting in the aisle with waiters squeezing by me.

The food in Blu has been very good to excellent -- all cooked to order, well prepared, and well presented.

7 December 2012 Thursday -- At Sea

It was nice having two sea days in a row. My sea days were pretty much the same: Breakfast in the elite breakfast room or in Blu; listening to some great lectures, battle of the sexes game, trivia, reading, learning to knit, and walking outside on the track for some exercise. Of course I didn't do all of these things every day.

8 December 2012 Friday -- Tenerife Canary Islands

Our last port day before crossing the Atlantic for a week was Santa Cruz Tenerife, Canary Islands. It was a short day, docking at 11am and departing 6pm. The weather was beautiful! There was no need for a jacket and I saw a lot of people wearing shorts or Capri's. The temperature went up to the mid-70s.

I wanted a relaxing day, no tours or car rentals, just a leisurely morning walking in town, window shopping, and lunch. The ship provided courtesy shuttles to the entrance of the port or you could walk about a mile to the port entrance. The main shopping street was quite active. Lots of shops, but I didn't buy anything.

There's a market in town called Mercado de Nuestra Se'ora de 'frica. There were many food stalls to include fresh fruit/vegetables, fish and seafood, and lots of cheese and meats. I snacked on a beef and potato empananda. Outside the market building were two streets filled with flea market stands, mostly junk.

Next to the tram line is a place called Bodeguita Canaria (www.bodeguitacanaria.es). It's a restaurant that serves Spanish tapas and other foods. Carol, Glenn and I sat outside under umbrellas and ordered the cured meat and cheese platter (12.80€ - very filling and excellent) and the octopus, which was grilled and dusted with paprika (9.50€). Carol and I ordered a small pitcher of "tinto" (red wine); beer for Glenn. The wine was served in a typical terra cotta glazed pitcher. I later asked our waiter with my limited Spanish if I could purchase it for a souvenir. He went into the kitchen, came out a minute later and told me the location of a store. I said the stores were closed (siesta) and begged, "Por favor!" He went back into the kitchen (assumed he was talking to the owner), came out and jotted down "5€" on a piece of paper. That made my entire day!

Closer to the port we found a gelateria, so we enjoyed our dessert (pistachio for me) as we slowly walked back to the shuttle stop.

Evening cocktails in the martini bar with Joey taking good care of us. Dinner in Blu. I brought a bottle of wine to share at dinner, which had been delivered to my room from Celebrity.

Clocks turned back one hour this evening.

9-15 December 2012 -- Seven Days at Sea

Summarizing my week at sea:

The captain made daily 10am announcements. He's one of the funniest captain's I've ever encountered and quite handsome too. He always ended his announcements with a funny cruise-related joke followed by, "This is your Captain...........................OUT!" I'm glad to know he'll be on the Silhouette for my cruise in the fall 2013!

We had mostly smooth sailing with comfortable rolls of the ocean. There was one day or two that had higher waves, but nothing compared to my 2011 transatlantic cruise where I earned my sea legs from very rough and high waves.

Patt Abbot was the main speaker for the Celebrity Enrichment series. He was so informative and interesting to listen to. He talked about different aspects of geology. One was called "How the Altantic formed." He can take a complex subject and simplify for everyone.

I enjoyed sitting outside near the pool, reading, writing, or doing some knitting, which I've started to learn. I also watched the passengers versus crew playing volley ball. The captain made a grand entrance wearing his bathrobe and a big splash into the pool. With the angle of his jump, many of us gasped as we thought he was going to hit his head on the side of the pool!

One of the Aqua Class cabin perks includes using the Persian gardens. Inside are 6-7 heated tiled lounge chairs that were so relaxing that I could have fallen asleep. I prefer the sauna rooms on the Summit (M-class ships) over the Solstice class ships, as there were more options; however, I never had to wait for a seat or spot in the steam room. Christine, Carol, and I also swam in the indoor pool.

Friends and I attended some of the Captain's Club events, such as the Captain's Club Celebration, high tea, and the senior officer's party.

Friends hosted cocktail parties in their aft suite a couple of times, which was lots of fun.

There were always tables set up outside the shops with items for sale. It was quite amusing to watch passengers scramble to grab an item that I didn't think was worth buying.

One day at the lawn garden there was a presentation on the "Art of Pizza Making'. The chef made a few different flat bread pizzas, which we tried at the end. In the same area were two huge adirondack chairs where we had our pictures taken. I felt like Lilly Tomlin.

Since we were dining in Blu we didn't feel the need to dine in the specialty restaurants, which charge $30-$40pp. However, we did eat in Bistro on Five (crepes -- savory and sweet, soups, salads, etc.), and The Porch (sandwiches, salads, etc.), each a $5 surcharge.

Seven days at sea was wonderful. The days went by at a comfortable pace. We all wished for more time on the ship. Transatlantic cruises simply provide the best in cruising.

On the ship:

Staff members on board:
Captain Dimitrios Kafetzis.
Tanuska D'Soua -- Captain's club hostess. Some of us found her to be unfriendly and not social at all
Popa (our maitre 'D in Blu) -- Charming and always with a smile
Daniela -- hostess in Blu
Toto -- waiter on our first night
Gino -- assistant waiter on our first night
Damar - our main waiter -- all smiles and attentive
Jovan -- waiter
Bosko -- elite breakfast room (Tuscan Grill)
Cemal Ozcelik -- restaurant manager
Joey -- Wonderful bar server in the martini bar. Every time we showed up he scrambled to find us a place to sit. He was the best!

Jayne Curry, singer
Beatles Celebration -- very good group, wigs and all
Brad Mastrangelo -- the ultimate storyteller -- Funny show! Carol laughed her ass off and it was actually more fun watching her than Brad

Some foods I enjoyed, to name a few:
Lentil soup
Rack of lamb
Filet mignon
Lamb shank
Fettuccini with clams
Scallop appetizer
Lobster with caviar
Wild mushrooms with mozzarella, balsamic reduction
Guava sorbet
Chocolate mousse

Some "eh, not so good" foods:
The second lobster tail that I ordered (they were very small) -- too mushy
Beef tips --dry
Halibut -- overcooked
Chilled pea soup -- just "okay"
Healthy orange roughy" with buckwheat noodles in a miso sauce - the fish was way over cooked and probably previously frozen

I will say that I have been living in Maryland since 1984 and never got up the nerve to try soft-shell crabs. I'm not a picky eater but didn't think I would like eating the entire crab, guts an all. Lucky on cruises, you have the opportunity to order whatever you want on the menu. One night, there it was -- a soft-shell appetizer. I really liked it!

I wasn't impressed with the aqua spa cafe foods. I've had better on the other ships.

Overall, the food on the ship was very good; which is one reason I like to cruise on Celebrity.

16 December 2012 Sunday -- Fort Lauderdale, Florida

The ship docked early in Florida. Since I was going to visit my Mom, I didn't have to get up at the crack of dawn. I had breakfast in the cafeteria with friends and later got my carry-on items and went to the Tuscan grill to meet a couple where we would share a rental car to West Palm Beach.

Getting off the ship was easy but the line was extremely long to get into the terminal. There were six ships in port!! The car rental agency had complimentary pick up service to their office. It took a while to get our car, as lots of people were renting one-way vehicles.

I was dropped off at Mom's home, which I was grateful. Mom didn't have to drive to the train station (my original plans) to pick me up.

I spent three nights before flying home and then back to the real world.

It was a very good trip! I had a lot of fun despite some rainy weather. I enjoyed cruising with friends, meeting new people, and loved the port towns we visited.

I'm looking forward to my next cruise, although it's a port-intensive cruise: 13 nights with just one sea day. I plan to use two port days and stay on the ship while the majority of passengers are in port.

Monica (Compass Rose Monica) Less

Published 03/10/13
1 Helpful Vote

Cabin review: A21635 AquaClass

Aqua Class Cabin 1635, port side towards aft but still close to the central stairs/elevator. The room was quiet. No noise from neighbors or any crew staff. Bed was located close to the balcony.

Read All AquaClass (A2) Reviews >>
Read more Celebrity Silhouette cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic’s Celebrity Silhouette Review >>

Compare Prices on Celebrity Silhouette Transatlantic Cruises

Compass Rose Monica
Member Since 2003
10,244 Forum Posts
Enrichment Activities
Family & Children
Fitness & Recreation
Onboard Experience
Public Rooms
Shore Excursions
Value for Money
Skip X

See Celebrity Silhouette deals up to 82% off:

October Deals
Celebrity Silhouette 81% Loved It

12 Night Western Mediterranean Cruise
See all Celebrity Silhouette Deals >>