3. Norwegian Spirit
Just a little cruise history first. I sailed 5 NCL cruises prior to the "Free Style" concept and one "Free Style" cruise. Then I left and found Celebrity to be my new prefered cruise line. Have sailed 9 Celebrity cruises, one Princess and one RCCL. I must say that my impression of NCL 5 years into the "Free Style" concept has changed greatly. Prehaps it has to do with the vessel changes in the Free Style concept. Embarkation and disembarkation in NYC is the easiest I've ever had on any cruise line. If you plan to board early however, be aware that no matter how excited you are to get to the ship early and into your cabin. You can not access your cabin until after 2pm. Because of the ease of Disembarkation...you can stay in your cabin until your group is called. They require extra time to make up rooms. When you board all the fire doors are close and there are NCL crew members advising you that rooms will be available at 2pm and redirect you to the lunch and bar options until that time. Perfectly fine with me. I board at 1pm and went to lunch. I only warn you of this because I had a small overnight bag to carry with me. However I saw many people who had not checked, maybe any of the baggage they brought along and seemed to be stuck sitting around with the luggage they brought. So if you plan to come early bring something managable for you. I waited in my room for disemabarkation and it took me a total of 5 minutes to walk off the ship. Claim my luggage on the pier. Proceed through customs and then I was hailing a cab. It was amazing. This is a beautiful ship that is very clean and well kept. I does however as mentioned in other reviews. Have some small quirks. Only because of the Asian market design. Some furniture is on the small size and somethings will seem backward to Americans. Overall, the ship is understated and simply beautiful. The aft section to ship has amazing views and place to sit and enjoy the sea past by. It's rare to find this feature on ships today.I had a standard Balcony BB #10510. Perfectly nice and cozy. The bathroom is very well designed. Closet space and drawn space is at a premium as usual. Pack wisely and remember this is "Free Style" which means resort casual. Some fellow cruisers will not understand this however. The just dress like slobs. So expect it. No jeans or shorts in the diningroom means nothing to some and the cruise line will not enforce it. As I sat in my Tux on the opitional formal night with the people sitting to my right in jean shorts and tank tops. I just don't get it. Meal time at the main diningrooms is as fast or slow as you like and food good. The optional pay venues are great and worth the extra price. If you choose to dine a certain pay venues between 530pm and 630pm you get 50% off the cover charge. I walked into the main diningrooms and was seated quickly. Never had to wait more than a few minutes. You'll also find flat panel TV with the seat availability in the stairwell on certain decks. It's all controlled by computers in the venues and works very well. Cruise fares are lower and drink and wine prices are higher. But service is better than Princess or RCCL. You may be put off by the bar staff on deck. They push drinking. And watch out for the glass your drink comes in. The take home cost you 3 bucks extra.Great Stirrup Cay was amazing. Beach party at night and a BBQ buffet the next day. I was very surprised at home much I loved this cruise. I was afraid I had become somewhat of a "cruise snob" traveling on a upscale cruiseline. It was relaxing and just plain simple. I'm still a big fan of Celebrity but now recommend NCL for those who want a less structured and traditional cruise. I have nothing negative to report. It was a great cruise and money very well spent.

Norwegian Spirit - Bahamas

Norwegian Spirit Cruise Review by Fly2Cruise

• Sail Date: September 2006
  • Destination: Bahamas
  • Cabin Type: Balcony

It was relaxing and just plain simple.

Fly2Cruise’s Full Rating Summary