3. Adventure of the Seas
RCCL's air arrangements worried us. They used Delta from Toronto with a connection in Atlanta. There was enough time on the outgoing for switching planes. Everyone without kids refused to let you by in Puerto Rico, even when the stewardess requested help to get us off first so that we won't miss the ship, it was a matter of all for themselves. Getting a family of 5 (2 teens and 1 child) racing from Terminal A to C in 40 minutes on the return was not easy. Even passengers from the same cruise with their nags bumped by almost injuring the youngest. But, Delta and RCCL do know their business! We were on the last bus to the ship whipping around street corners and they paged me as I stopped for 1 fast washroom break in the cruise terminal! We were checked in and on board with 2 minutes to spare, they told us when the Windjammer Buffet would be closed and all the luggage was safely in our adjoining cabins (Cannot say that everyone on board had their luggage. By the 3rd night on board in a makeover session, the cosmetologist mentioned that a few passengers had not seen their luggage yet. Early disembarking due to flight arrangements was smooth. This was our 2nd RCCL cruise but our 6th cruise as a family on Aug 20. The Meet & Mingle should not have been scheduled with a 5p.m. party on the 2nd day on board every other cruise&folks do not like to dress up extra early in formal wear to attend the party. The morning timing would have been better for most. Overall, the food was better than good. Seafood Tempura, Lobster, Jerk Chicken, delicious sugar free desserts were my favorites. My husband is vegetarian and enjoyed his meals and choices. Our fussy pasta child liked the variations too. Sayit our Waiter and his Assistant Leilani were superb. The Head Waiter ensured that the kids dinners were nut-free once he heard about their allergies. Those at table wanting 2 appetizers, extra soups, entrees, desserts were all accommodated on a regular basis. We were lucky with fun loving table mates. Sharon, our Cabin Steward was meticulous, considerate and with her helpers, the messy teens we have were most impressed. She tried her utmost to fulfill our needs/quirks on the adjoining door, the bedding, the sleeping teens who cannot move after a late night of mini-golf or dancing, the quick naps before early seating dinner (without any disturbances), the teen fights. What a gem: she even consoled our sad child when she thought that only the teen cabin had chocolates, when she was avoiding disturbing her early-to-bed-with-slight-1-day-cold time. On board, our 10 year old suddenly changed from last year's trip and decided to spend less time in Adventure Ocean but the time she did spend there was much fun! She checked the activities and decided on her own daily. She made friends and the counselors ensured that she did not have treats with nuts. The teens did their own thing and used the COMPASS to plan their activities. I think they met up with the friends we made on board more than we did at night since I was exhausted most nights and couldn't make any of the night time pool parties etc., but they still kept to curfew. The staff used the COMPASS to curtail many of the raucous unsupervised kids' activities, reminding them of the rules. For the side excursions, we puttered around Barbados on our own since we had stayed there a couple of times before on family vacations and knew our way around. We used the early cheaper shuttle to town and shopped before we took a taxi (van) to pick up the order I had made prior sailing via the Net with Warrens SuperCentre. They are so helpful and courteous and doing it this way saved time and bother & I wanted local snacks and drinks. He also took us to Malibu as we requested to shop in their little store. Sad to say there will be a take-over of the manufacture of Malibu Lime so I had to settle for Coconut Malibu. Those of you not using the lines' excursions may want to be in touch with Fabian for St Lucia, Lawrence of Antigua, Tim (affiliated with Godfrey for St Thomas) and Bernard for St Martaan (used by a Cruise Critic Couple we met - they found him quite flexible, while we were happy with the tour offered by the ship and that was good too:it is my favorite island with the Dutch side the better one for me). These are all from the Cruise Critic sites and we agree with the rave reviews. You will not go wrong with them. Fabian accommodated my tour request (showing high flexibility and consideration, not a routine tour guide!) and is so polite and knowledgeable. We had great bread (my kids do not like bread but they loved this loaf, almost shaped like a rolling pin), Plaz Kassava's bread with fish (adults choice) and Cherries (kids' choice) was a hit. I hope to get the recipe. He even bought us mangoes and had different drinks on board his van for kids as well as adults. Great touring (discreetly took care of entrance fees, local beggars) and explanations of the Pitons and Soufriere, but he even took us to the Convent (from my previous life) I wanted to visit. He obliged and joined us for fruit cake and guava and passionfruit juice and got us back on time safe and sound. Good guide who goes with the flow! Lawrence suits his moniker and our Cruise Critic pals went touring while we were dropped off at Turner Beach & the food is excellent, the beach vendors are not pests, the facilities were clean. He came back on time as we requested with our pals to do the end of their tour. Tim is St Lucian and obviously like his job and meeting people, and his new home of St Thomas. He is so adaptable. Those who arranged to meet him early got more shopping time as he returned for late risers and they got less shopping time. Then he manages to drop folks at the beach, gave us more time for pictures or to look around (our 10 yr old was ecstatic to find a fantastic selection of shells at $1 at the shopping centre at the beach) as he waited for those of us who took a bit longer and decided to not swim but continue the tour. He returned for the swimmers after dropping us off right at the ship where we met friends wanting to do some quick shopping at the pier. Entertainment on board was quite good most of the time. Bobby Arvon of the Happy Days Theme Song voice is a great entertainer. Some of the Staff Skaters on "Cool Art, Hot Ice" were good, some need more practice & sorry folks I am a Canadian hooked on Good Skating. Special Guest Star Yulia Ayupova is superb. "Can't Stop The Rock" with the RC's Singers and Dancers was well done (esp liked the dance routines, great versatility in these staff entertainers, singers & my kids wanted to stop me from waving and singing to some of the best music I have heard). Beatlemania was also good nostalgia. "Velvet Rope" was passable but needs some work in the Asian Theme used. I was glad that I did not make it to the Farewell Spectacular. We saw it on the cabin TV & I don't think that the live audience liked Barnhart's humor.  Overall, our Explorer cruise last year had a better Skate Show and we enjoyed the Shopping Shows far more there. But, on the whole, we enjoyed this cruise even with some aging carpet, some unattended public washrooms, problems with upper dropped bunks in a couple of cabins. RCC, we will continue vacationing with you!

Adventure of the Seas - Southern Caribbean

Adventure of the Seas Cruise Review by hyacinth

Early disembarking due to flight arrangements was smooth.
This was our 2nd RCCL cruise but our 6th cruise as a family on Aug 20.
RCC, we will continue vacationing with you!
hyacinth’s Full Rating Summary