3. Crown Princess
We embarked on the August 7th, 2006 sailing, since it was only the second sailing after the "tipping," incident, the five of us were just a little bit nervous! The ship was gorgeous, but being frequent sailors on the Celebrity ships, we were surprised that when we embarked. No one met us to show us to our rooms. We asked some staff who was standing around how to get to our room, and they seemed to reluctantly point us in the direction of the elevators to our room. Our room was a minisuite, and it was extremely nice, with a full bathtub (surprise!). We went up to the Horizon Court for lunch, and again many wait staff standing around, and trying not to help too much. The Horizon Court is very chaotic, especially at breakfast, and after our first morning, we tried to eat breakfast in the Da Vinci Dining room where the service is noticeably better. The strangest thing I have seen on any ship is that the Crown has a "quiet lounging area in the front of the ship called the "sanctuary," and it is for adults only, but they charge you $15.00 for a half day just to sit up there! This is a definite turn-off to me, and Princess should think of another way to handle this area without charging for it !! Due to the chair hogging on the lower decks on sea days as mentioned by other Cruise Critics before, one might be tempted to pay for the sanctuary! But we were finally able to find some chair space on the 1st floor about half way through the cruise. Although the ship was very clean, and we liked having the option of sometimes two shows a night, my main complaint on this ship is that there was just too much nickle and dining us after paying a hefty sum for the five of us to sail on this ship. The other two people in my party had an inside cabin on the Aloha Deck, and it was extremely small. As all Princess ships do, they deduct $10.00 a day in discretionary charges for the wait staff, which you can adjust if you wish. My main contention here is that the wait staff is very apathetic when responding to the needs of the passengers,as compared to the Celebrity ships we have sailed on. It may be that they already know their tip is already built in to the system, or it may be because the staff is all new, or maybe such a short time has elapsed since the "tipping incident", and the staff is already a little burnt out. But, we did notice some of the same lapses in service on the Grand Princess five years ago. Also, in the International Cafe, there are some charges for the food, like gelato, and the petite fours. In the Vines Cafe, I am told there was a charge for the sushi. On the Infinity, (Celebrity again) last year in Alaska, there was a Sushi Buffet every night at PM for all that wanted it. The Crown did have other pluses, however, a very nice camp for the children, with a cake baking class on one of the sea days, and a Ceramics-at-Sea program for both adults and children!!!! The Tropical Buffet Night near the poolside to me wasn't much of a Tropical Night!! We hardly saw any Tropical fruit circulated that evening on the decks. The waiter went around with small trays of food that were empty every time they came to our side of the ship!!!It seemed every venue on the ship including this was to sell large amounts of alcoholic beverages to all, because drinks were in large supply at this event, while the food was in very short supply!!! Well, now to mention the ports. For Turks and Caicos, don't bother booking any excursions. We booked the one for Governor's Beach, and a tram took us about 1/4 mile from the ship for $32.00pp when the same beach was right as you came off the pier for nothing!! Other people I have met on the ship said the same about the other excursions. There is really nothing but a very run-down town in Grand Turk. The main attraction here is Margaritaville, and it is walking distance right off the ship. Many of the young and old again came here to imbibe and swim in their large pool. Many I met on the ship have said that this island in 10-20 years this may be the next Cancun !! I have nothing against drinking, but after this trip, many I observed had to give their livers a long rest after this vacation !! The rest of the ports were pretty standard, with the St Thomas taxi drivers charging $9.00 pp plus entrance fee to Megan's Bay that was swarming with people from three ships docked that day. Due to the rough seas on the return trip from Bermuda, I missed part of the final night. Our waiter in the Botticelli Dining Room all but ignored us the final night, and gave us the last pickings of the Baked Alaska!! We are not sure if this is routine for the Princess lines. We didn't remove any of the discretionary charges, thinking this would offend our waiters, but now in retrospect, we think we should have removed some, and given it in cash on the final night of the cruise. At least on Celebrity lines, the staff is all very friendly up until the close of the last night, because that is when they get their tips, and it according to the service that they have rendered. I am not sure if we would sail this line again, given the shortcomings of the service.

Crown Princess - Eastern Caribbean