3. Carnival Fascination
As a veteran of numerous cruises over the years I stayed away from Carnival lines for the sheer reason of what I received as a younger "party" ship. Their/Carnival recent advertising on television enticed me and my wife to try the cruise line, as we live here in Florida and jumping on a ship for a long week-end is really no problem. I booked thru a large internet agency for our first Carnival cruise in April 2006. The free category up-grade that was promised on the web-site was given to us. We had a lovely cabin, good service, ok dinning experience. The only complaint was a table of 10 single college reunion guys in the formal dining room being in pool wear, loud, filthy language, disturbing other diners. I feel that this group should have been ushered to a less formal dining room, or at least warned by the head of the room to curb the language ( I'm not prude, the language was crude and filthy ). Now the mistake, we decided to book in July 2006/a few weeks later and take family members. Booked thru the same agency again, the upgrades for rooms NEVER naturalized. I called 3x, disconnected 2x till I finally got a representative. I was informed to read the small print on the bottom of the contract/after finding the line with a magnifying glass it did indeed states that upgrades where subject to availability. Ok, they got me there my fault. Both rooms where located on the Riviera/bottom deck, inside cabin, bunk beds. Since neither myself or my wife could get up to the top bunk, recent Knee replacement for her, I am just too unstable. I thought I would be able to PURCHASE a room up-grade on the ship. I am a reasonable person and do not mind paying for comfort, or giving extra tips for good service. The information desk people who you need to go thru for this were either rude, poorly trained, could not understand English, did not care, or a combination of all of the above. NO DICE, NO ROOMS NOT EVEN FOR PURCHASE. Ok, I slept on the lower bunk, my wife preferred the floor. Room was still not fully cleaned as ship left port. Our family two doors down had no problem with the bunk beds but did have problems with the smell of urine and dampness in the cabin. The smell of sewage was unmistakable it prevailed the ENTIRE trip. As we walked down the stairs to disembark into Nassau/that where right next to the end room we were in the smell of the sewage was commented on by many who were ready to disembark and had never been down to that deck. I wheezed and both my wife and I had throat irritation the entire trip. The food in the dining room on this trip was sub-standard to what we received on the same trip weeks previous. Most of the meat dishes were VERY overcooked and the waiter could not get the correct done from the kitchen. The deli on the rear of the ship is VERY good and submitted. All in all this cruise was a nightmare had I not had family on-board my wife and I would of completely disembarked in Nassau, stayed a couple of days there and flown out from Nassau. This ship is a cheap trip for kids, young adults, family reunions/as many people were involved with. Expect what you pay for for you will get NOTHING more, if you do consider yourself lucky. The pool area was really clean, the pool and Jacuzzi were extremely overcrowded to the point of being just gross. The outside tables where covered in dirty dishes and numerous times we had to ask that the dishes be cleared so we could sit down, my wife at the end of the trip started clearing them herself! Nassau is a great stop for casinos/Atlantis and shopping. The Atlantis is a must see. Bahamian cuisine is exceptional at the right restaurants, try the Cricket Club on West Bay street. Take a cab, or the Jitney/bus. Mckenzies under Potters pier has a tremendous conch salad that I have enjoyed over the years! All things said this cruise was not a good value for the money we spent. Next time we will stick to our regular cruise line, or fly in.

Carnival Fascination - Bahamas