3. Westerdam
Thinking about taking a nice relaxing cruse on the Westerdam, think again! Better pack your EAR PLUGS and a GAS MASK. Heres my familys 7day Alaskan trip. July 16, 2006 Sunday room 1107 -- After our family arrived in our stateroom we could not help but notice the noisy commotion coming from under our room. Coming from somewhere directly below us was the banging of hammers (so loud making the floor vibrate) a drilling noise and metal grinders. We excitingly unpack looking forward to our great relaxing trip. Hoping the noise would cease when we left port, we said nothing. July 17, 2006 Monday room 1107 -- Monday started off just as noisy as the day before. Again all the same noises we heard yesterday. They started up and never stopped the entire day. We spoke with Sheila Arcilla (day manager) and she informed us that this construction was part of the daily maintenance and it would go on until the job was done. That it was an environmental job and it would get done no matter how long it took. But they would only go on until late afternoon. When we left for dinner at 6:00 p.m. the noise was still going on. After a day and a half of this we were told that there was a room available down the hall and we could have it, but only during the day for the next two days. Another family was coming in two days and it was their room when we reached Juneau. We could sleep in our room at night and relax in another room during the day. This was not what we wanted to do. We just tried to stay away from our room during day light hours. July 18, 2006 Tuesday room 1107/1087 -- Today the pounding and noise was still there. We explained that we still werent happy with all the racket and vibration. We have been quite pleasant considering the circumstances. My husband has been doing most of the communicating now. I am starting to get somewhat irritated. We try to explain that we have come on vacation to relax and that just wasnt happening. They have agreed to let us have the other room 1087 for the duration of the trip. We packed up all our stuff. Put it back in our suitcases and we moved everything to the other room 1087. There was no more noise. Although, the room was noise free that first night in our new room we were awakened at about 4:00 a.m. to an extremely strong smell of bacon coming from our air vent. By the time morning had arrived we could barely stand it. We did not say anything to the front desk. Embarrassed that everything is going wrong, I told my dad, who was on the cruise as well. My dad went to the front desk and informed them of our newest problem. We talked with Lizabeth. Lizabeth said that the vents were probably stuck from the galley and that she would look into it. July 19, 2006 Wednesday 1087 -- The day and night went well. With the exception of the bathroom floor drain backing up in the bathroom. This happened after one of our showers. Chunky black water smelling like rotten eggs came up through the floor surrounding the toilet. When the water receeded it left a black residue all over the floor. We threw towels on the floor in order to use the bathroom. We did not go to the front desk with this new disaster we just informed our room attendant Abdul who took care of the mess. There was no galley smell this night/morning. July 20, 2006 Thursday 1087 -- Smell back. We are awakened to the sickening smell once again around 4:00 a.m. We get out of bed open our door to the hallway to clear out our room. This seems to work. We sleep with the door open for the rest of the night. Talked with Lizabeth again. She said that the wind must have changed and thats why the smell is back. She said that she would move us again if there were an open room, but there were not any available. We are beginning to lose it. We have been very patient and have been extremely polite. July 21, 2006 Friday 1087/1065 -- Bathroom backs up again and our sleep is interrupted once more by cooking bacon. The combination smell is indescribable. We call the night manager, Taufik. He arrives at around 4:00 a.m. and states that it is awful and that we have to leave to another room. This is unbelievable. I cannot even talk I am so mad. We gather up our family at 4:30 am and wander down the hall to our new room again! We are now moved to room 1065. This is now our 3rd room. Carla (from the front office) calls at 10:00 a.m. to ask how we slept and wakes us up. We havent had a good night sleep except for Wednesday. I am angry and spitting nails, but I keep my composure. Getting very tired of all of this. No sleep and the aggravation of the entire mess. They put a ventilator in our room for the rest of the night, whats left of it, so that when we return to our smelly room the following day the smell will have been filtered out. I cannot tell you how grateful I am that they are being so gracious! July 22, 2006 Saturday 1065 -- Today we are told that if we want to we can use the same room again tonight. We think we should considering we have not had any luck with our first two rooms. We tell them that we will sleep in the new room; they said they would have it ready for us. We are not willing to pack up everything for a third time. We decide to just take what we need and travel down the hall once more when it is time for bed. We napped most of the day. Extremely tired. That evening we gather up what we need and head down the hall to room 1065 for the second night. The room is not ready for us; there is a rack of bathrobes in the middle of the room, a pile of used sheets on the only chair in the room and they know we have our 10 year old son with us I guess they expect him to sleep on the couch without any sheets or blankets. I call the front desk and a cabin attendant comes and retrieves all the mess, makes up the sofa bed and apologizes for not having our room ready. You would think that this has got to be the end to this story. There isnt much night left but no, it not over yet. Later that night after we are all in bed all comfortable in our third room. We need to use the restroom in the middle of the night. Low and behold the door to the bathroom is locked (of course) and we cannot use it. AGAIN, I call the front desk and ask that someone come and unlock our bathroom. After the attendant leaves my son says to me mom just breath. Bon Voyage! P.S. I want to let you know how sympathetic Westerdam was to our situation. They were extremely apologetic after ever incident. They always said how sorry they were. They always said too bad there wasnt an open room, but would eventually move us to an empty room. They were gracious beyond words they offered us a huge $200.00 off our on board bill. I cannot tell you how this offer made us feel. These facts are true. Even though they are to hard believe. My husband and I agree on the facts, but we cannot remember if Wednesday took place on Thursday or visa/versa. With all the things that went wrong it was hard to remember which disaster happened on which day. That is the only thing we are sketchy on.

Westerdam - Alaska