3. Ocean Princess
May 29, 2006 LAX TO PAPETTE - 12 DAYS TAHITI TO HAWAII GETTING THERE Air Tahiti Nui-1:00PM flight. Airport was easy and we waited over a hour for boarding..there is lots of places to eat plus a great restaurant and bar. (Go to lax.com) One of the best flights 8hrs 20 min...2 hot meals, wine, beer, sodas, small choice of liquor, free also fresh flower upon boarding with a small bag of socks, eye mask, ear plugs, ear phones, wipes, pillow, Blanket. New head covers and foot rest, personal TV with movies, games and programs. You can get up and walk around freely...we were in row 22, but there was room in back so we took a row in the middle and could spread out. Remember they all speak French! A lot of shipmates on board. (2-5-2 seating) Quiet flight, I did not see but one child about 8 years old. The 3PM flight got delayed 11 hours, they had to bring a part from Tahiti to fix. They all got in at 4:30AM, held ship for 160 people---talked with a few cruiser's later and they said they got room credits for the delay. They were all pleased but tired for 2 days. This ship is not for children...think 5-6 on this cruise. All age groups, we had 21 honeymoon couples. Mostly couples, some gay. Lots of fun, we sat at dinner with 6 from all over England. EMBARKATION Got off plane, went through customs, bus waiting, but you have to get your own luggage from inside to outside. No help from airport. Then you pull it out front..it must have a ship tag, they take it and put it in a large container. You wonder all the way to the ship if you are going to get your luggage or are they highjacking it? A quick bus ride to the ship...we are platinum but all check in was quick. Walked onto ship and they had dinner for us open seating and a show with the local dancers. After that our luggage had arrived in our room. We (I) unpacked, and went to bed. SHIP The smallest we have been on, but I loved it. All public areas are very clean. I also hate that they do not use seat covers for public restrooms. The Captain, Crew, Cruise director and most every one on the ship has my vote for the best we have ever had on a cruise. Captain is hands on, walks around and talks to every one. Ship easy to get around. Be prepared for a very small pool and casino. We crossed the equator and they dumped the Captain in the pool (good Sport) after pouring all kinds of jello and food on him. Smoking bars (3) and deck 5 outside. DINING Love the look..dining room is like a grand ship (also Grand stairway) pictures done there, do it!!! I loved the buffet...everything seemed so fresh and made to order. We ate there mostly..got tired of dining room. Booked Steak House, was very good. Sabintini's was just ok for me. The buffet had fresh pasta everyday and in the afternoon the same was in the dining room and night sometimes. One day they got a whole fresh tuna from one of the island's for lunch...the best and freshest ever. Buffet has a salad bar, fruit all the time, beverage bar, cold and hot dishes, Panni bar (*****), ice cream bar, made to order pizza, 2 soup choices, made to order omelettes and eggs, burgers, fries and hot dogs. Breakfast at the buffet was amazing...oatmeal (yummy) cold cereal, yogurt, fruits, juices, 4-5 kinds of meat, potatoes, rice, eggs, omelettes, nuts, dried fruits. Also bagels and lox in room while docking in morning was good. We always ate on the island for lunch to try local foods. Amazing!!! Late night Bistro 11-4AM, we never got there! CABIN 6072. We try to book the same deck tenders are on..port..aft. It is great there. I get a little seasick and we found after many cruises to stay low and back near middle. You are close to lifts and the balcony always has a large cover over it. It was a great location to everything...1 floor down to dinner, can walk and 3 decks up to Panorama Buffet, Pool, Pool Bar. Outside seating by pool and large balcony(Patio) off out the back buffet doors that open auto. There is also a coffee bar there. Also, everything is on deck 5. I was happy with the size of the cabin and balcony (had 2 plastic chairs and a small table) but unhappy with the state of the room. Was not clean enough for me the bedding, sheets and towels need upgrading, and the drapes smelled of smoke. I asked my cabin steward to take off the bedspread and never bring it back and then double sheet our bed everyday. It then felt cleaner. I always travel with Clorox wipes and Lysol. I cleaned everything after we got back on ship after first day in port. ENTERTAINMENT Island shows, comedian. We didn't go to many shows, we have late seating so some times we were still at dinner until 10:30, we had a lot of fun. We also ate off ship in Riatea, ate Pizza 1 night plus the 2 restaurants. I enjoyed movies under the stars 2 nights, when we were at sea. ADVENTURES ASHORE we did not book anything from ship. Rented cars and boats did our own snorkeling and road tours. There are locals on all ports to book the same thing that ship has. We meet other couples and got great deal's together. Xmas Island...if you are not off 1st tender not much to do. You do not need to rush to get off. Tenders take 45 min. to get to dock. Make sure you rent cars for Hawaii or there will not be any. We hooked up with Dollar then rented the other Island's while we were in Dollar, that way we had a van waiting to pick us up. Tahiti rental cars about $55, Hawaii $65-95. American dollars were taken everywhere--no problem! They don't give us change...we took 100 one dollar bills and used them in Tahiti. They mostly take master/visa and cash. We cashed traveler checks on ship after dinner for the next day. We did not exchange any money. DISEMBARKATION Out of room at 8am, they have public waiting areas, you can eat. Again, we had a Platinum Lounge. It depends on your travel plans...if you have an early flight, you get off first, they even have a tour if your flight is later. We got off last, stayed in Hawaii for 3 days, had own transportation. I recommend this cruise to everyone...we wish we had the whole family with us. French Polynesia is beautiful...pictures can not show the beauty. On the Islands, book something, shop early, go to water the rest of day and by 3pm it gets really hot, so be back on ship or in water with sunscreen. Things close down early and during the day for lunch. Try the local foods, the people are wonderful, the food is french so have french fries, french bread (baguettes) sandwiches, Poisson Cru'e, fresh tuna salad with coconut juice & lime, crepes w/ice cream and buy vanilla beans. We would do it all over again. Was not too long, very busy first 5 days until at sea. Early to bed-early to rise!! The days are short--dark by 5PM remember because winter is June, July and August. We had great weather and no rain while on Islands, except Xmas Island. E-mail me if I can answer any questions.

Tahitian Princess - South Pacific

CABIN
ENTERTAINMENT
ADVENTURES ASHORE
DISEMBARKATION
E-mail me if I can answer any questions.
Clounge’s Full Rating Summary