3. Navigator of the Seas
Here is my review of the Navigator of the Seas Member Cruise 4/26/03-5/3/03. We are Platinum Members, we had 2nd Seating for Dinner, our wait staff was Edwin(Waiter) and Wencey(Asst. Waiter), Our Cabin Attendant was Allan. We left on Friday April 25th for our long awaited Cruise aboard the NOS. We stayed at the Sheraton Biscayne Bay Hotel in Downtown Miami. We booked this hotel, through Priceline, and paid $47 plus a service fee of $5.95 and tax. This was a bargain. We had a spacious corner room on the 14th floor. It was very clean and the hotel was very busy that nite. We thought the staff was very friendly and the hotel one of the nicer ones we have stayed in. We went to the Bayside Marketplace and took an boat ride on the Island Queen. This was $15 per person and well worth it. The weather was sunny and warm that day and we enjoyed our time in Miami. The next morning (Saturday) we woke up to rumbles of thunder and flashes of lightning. It was a gloopy day of rain and thunderstorms all day. We took a short taxi ride to the pier and arrived at 10:30 a.m. We hadn't sailed out of Miami since 1996 so we were very impressed with the new RCCL cruise terminal. A porter took our luggage outside and said that it would be in our room in one hour (never happened). We went up the escalator to a waiting area and waited until the ship was cleared for check-in. When the ship was cleared we proceeded to a special "Priority Boarding Lounge" for C &A members and waited to be checked in. Lemonade, water and cookies were available. A lot of people were waiting for the "Priority Check-In" so an RCI employee came over and took some of us to the regular check-in area. We then went back to the lounge, to wait, to board the Ship. We got on the ship at 12:00~noon. We went right to our stateroom #7592~DB Category~to drop off our carry-on and then went to the Windjammer Cafe for the Welcome Aboard Buffet. We were planning on going to the CC get together at 3:00 p.m. but fell asleep!! Muster Drill was at 4:30 p.m. We went to our station about 4:15 p.m. as did a lot of other people. This helped the drill go smoother and faster. The ship did not depart on time (5:00 p.m.) as it was waiting for passengers with delayed flights. We sat up on the pool deck waiting for the ship to leave and finally a little after 6:00 p.m. we left following the Explorer of the Seas. I was amazed to see that people still stopped their cars on the side of the road and some got out to watch the cruise ships leave. It was still raining at this time too. Now we were officially "cruising" on our way to Nassau........let the fun begin! We were at Table #427~Coppelia Dining Room (Deck4). Dinner was at 9:00 p.m. only for that nite. The rest of the week was at 8:30 p.m. Our tablemates were Don and Bonnie from Georgia, Larry and Theresa from Michigan, Ruth from Toronto, Canada and Diane from Tampa, Florida. Ruth and Diane have been best friends for 30 years. Ruth is visiting Diane for a month so Diane surprised Ruth with a Cruise, since Ruth had never cruised before! What a great friend!!! We had a lot of fun at our table. After dinner it was off to the Casino for our nightly nickel slot playing! This whole week, with the exception of a few winning spins, I lost playing the nickel and quarter machines and video poker. I still had fun though. My husband, Barry, was luckier than I. He turned $5 into $84 just playing nickels on the first nite! and he had good luck playing the rest of the cruise. Someone did win $20,000 playing the $1 Wheel of Fortune Machine during the week. The payouts were low on the slots and we lost on our BJ match play coupons also. Cabin~we booked a Category DB and it was spacious and seemed bigger than the D9 cabin we had on the Adventure of the Seas last year. Our balcony also seemed larger with glass panels so you could see out while sitting or doing the "horizontal mambo". Just some FYI. Our cabin attendant was Allan and he was just OK. He did a good job keeping our cabin clean but was not overly friendly. Other cabin attendants spoke to us daily saying "Good Morning or Good Evening". Cruise Critic Party-I wasn't impressed with the CC Party. People were too spread -out, didn't seem to want to say their name etc. I was very surprised at the low attendance considering the amount of people that had signed up. We met Carl and Margaret (Sea Travelers) that morning, at breakfast, and we met Pat H and Tina B at the party. Coupon Booklets-We are Platinum Members and our coupon booklets had (2) $5.00 Casino Match Play Coupons, (2) buy $10 get $12 in the Casino, 15% off a spa service, buy 3 get 3 bingo cards, buy an 8X10 picture get one 8X10 picture free, a complimentary glass of wine or beer, 15 minutes of free internet service, cpn for up to $300 shipboard credit on a future cruise if booked onboard, (2) cpns for 10% off @ the RCCL Logo merchandise shop, complimentary wine tasting seminar. We each got a booklet also. Food-The food was better than excellent. Had a variety of choices in both the dining room, Windjammer and Jade. Portofino's and Chops Grille are located inside with the Windjammer and the Plaza Bar. There is a HUGE variety of breakfast items~cereal, toast, bagels, pancakes, oatmeal, omelettes, waffles, French toast, grits, bacon, sausage, boiled eggs, scrambled eggs, muffins, croissants, assorted danish, watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew melon, bananas, apples, pears, peaches, prunes, figs, donuts, Austrian raisin bread (my favorite), yogurt, milk, tea, coffee, apple juice, orange juice, ice water and more...........The same items are offered, in the Windjammer everyday. Lunch items change but there is a variety of foods including sliced meats, cheeses, breads, hamburgers, hotdogs, soups, pasta, carved meats, potatoes, French fries, rice, Waldorf salad, pasta salad, lettuce salad w/toppings and dressings, and lots more. There are a variety of desserts and cookies. The WJ also offers sugar free desserts. We did not eat dinner at the WJ, Jade, Portofino's or Chops Grille. Jade also offered a variety of foods for breakfast and lunch as well as desserts. There are also 2 soft serve yogurt machines in the WJ. The Plaza Bar is right inside so it is convenient to get to from all the eating areas. Dining Room-we did not eat breakfast or lunch in the Dining Room only dinner. The food was the best of all the cruises we've gone on. The portions are smaller though, so you may want to order accordingly. Some of the desserts include: Ivory Chocolate Fondue, Pecan Pudding, Grand Marnier Souffle, Tiramisu......................they also offer 2 Sugar Free Desserts each nite. The chilled soups were fantastic! There is also an alternative menu to order from that includes a beef and chicken entree, a pasta entree, rice, potato, vegetable, etc. Our waiter-Edwin-made a lot of mistakes. 3 different nites, out of 6 (I was sick one nite), I got the wrong food. It was getting to be a joke at our table what food I would get served? Even though he wrote it down and I would point to it on the menu. He would mix up others appetizers, salads and desserts too. Our table was his only table so we couldn't understand why he had so much trouble? It wasn't until the tips were given and we were ready to leave the dining room that he told us this was his first week as a waiter. He had been promoted last week. We wish we would have known that at the beginning of the cruise. We did adjust his tip, according to the service we received, but did not mark him down on his service on the guest satisfaction survey. He did admit that he made a lot of mistakes. Our Asst.Waiter-Wencey-was absolutely fabulous. Friendly, accommodating, Bubbly, Funny. ShipShape Center-Visited here everyday. Not for exercise, of course! Had to sit in the Mineral Bath everyday. This was very relaxing and a bit different from the Hot Tubs. Also, went into the Steam Room a lot. My husband did work out everyday and enjoyed going there. He said they play funky upbeat music to exercise to. Didn't get to have any spa treatments either. Pool Area-2 pools and 4 hot tubs. They keep 1 pool and some hot tubs open 24 hours a day. I never saw anyone in either one when I walked by at nite but that doesn't mean they didn't get used. One afternoon both pools were closed. Someone went into the pool, with a glass, and dropped it on the bottom of the pool and it broke. They had to close the pool for awhile and we don't know why the other pool wasn't open? Later, we found out that the ship can't drain the pool until they are 15 miles away from shore. I never did hear when they drained the pool as I had left the pool area shortly after the "glass incident". There is a sign on the hottub though. No eating, drinking or smoking while in the hottub. This should include the pool too!!! Or people should have common sense not to bring a glass into a swimming pool especially since there were a lot of kids in the pool. Medical Facility-I had to visit the medical facility twice while on the cruise. I woke up with a horrendous sore throat one morning and went to see the Doctor. He took a strep test (negative) and gave me some antibiotics, throat lozenges, ibuprofen. The next day I had to go back because I had non stop coughing and a different Doctor gave me a nebulization treatment, cough medicine (w/codeine!!!!) and more pills. The total bill was $250. I received quite a bit of medications and services for this money. The Doctors and nurses are professionals and very nice. Since it went on my seapass account I will get double points on my new Royal Caribbean Visa Card. Well.....I was down and out for a couple of days, it didn't ruin my vacation and it didn't affect my appetite-LOL and I get double points. What a deal! My husband has it now:(:( but no double points. LOL LOL Royal Caribbean Online-.50 a minute to get online. At St. Thomas there is a place to go, at Havensight Mall, where you can make long distance calls, get on the internet etc. The cost is $5.00 for 30 minutes for using the internet. C &A Member Gifts-lots of neat things. Sunblock lotion on a clip, sunglass straps, magnets (that someone took off of all the doors on our floor), Fanny Packs, Pens, Organizers, etc. We had a private showing of Ice Dancin' in Studio B. There were also lots of different events during the week too. We didn't get to many tho. We had robes to use onboard too-that was really nice. Upgrades-There was a long line at the Pier Coordinator at Check-In. Didn't stand in the line to find out the prices of upgrades. We did hear one lady say that she wasn't going to pay $400 for an upgrade if she wasn't going to get a doorbell! Too funny! Entertainment-Only went to one production show-"Now and Forever". I didn't care for it but my husband loved it. We did go to see "Chuck Roast and the Mashed Potatoes" in Studio B. They put down a parquet floor over the ice so people could dance. Our Cruise Director, Jeffrey Arpin, was "Big Daddy" . It was a tribute to the music of the 50's, 60's and 70's. We thought it was fantastic. Jeff was fantastic as was the band. At the end they had the "Village People" come out and sing Y.M.C.A. One of our tablemates thought that the REAL Village People were going to be there! LOL There were bands and singers at different spots on the ship. The music during dinner was especially nice and relaxing. There was horse racing, bingo, belly flop contest, hairy chest contest, music by the pool etc. Cruise Staff-Captain Leif Otto Bang was the Master of the Ship, Jeffrey Arpin was the Cruise Director and "Double D" was the Asst Cruise Director. Jeffrey has retired on our cruise. I talked with him about retiring. He was the best cruise director that I have sailed with. Very enthusiastic and fun. Sorry to see him go.........I also asked about Captain Johnny. He left the Navigator 2 weeks before our sailing:(:(. He's my favorite Captain. So funny and personable. I heard that he should be bringing out the Mariner of the Seas later this year. Tidbits- The Navigator has a Business Center Onboard. You can book a future cruise or get information here also. Book your shore excursions early for Labadee. Our tablemates said these fill up fast! especially Parasailing and Waverunners. Try to watch the 3 part series, on your cabin TV, about the building of the Eagle Class Ships. It is sooo interesting. There is so much detail that goes into these ships. I started looking at all the details on the ship after watching the series. It is amazing. The colors and patterns in different areas-lots of things that I've never noticed before. The Royal Promenade floor that was laid by hand. The interior design of the ship etc. A taxi ride to or from the Airport to the Seaport is $18. A flat rate. A Taxi Ride from the Airport to a downtown hotel, on the Super Shuttle, is $24 (2 people). Room Service is available 24 hours. You can add your tips to your seapass. Everyone has to report to immigration at St. Thomas. There is one room for US Citizens and another for NON US Citizens. It goes a lot faster now. There is an American Airlines Counter at the Pier in Miami. You can check-in, at the pier, if your flight is after 1:00 p.m. Customs is at the Cruise Terminal. This is new to us. Previously we had to go through customs on the ship. We were able to use a Private Departure Lounge on Debarkation Day. They served OJ, Coffee and Pastries. We stayed there until our luggage color was called. The RCI Holiday and Entertaining Cookbook is $19.95 and available at the Purser's Desk. There are lots of opportunities for pictures especially on formal nites. Make sure you go to Decks 3,4,5 for picture opportunities. They are also taking pictures on casual nites now. The price of a non alcoholic "fu-fu" drink is $4.60 including tip. A can of Coke is $1.73 including tip. There is a Ben and Jerry's onboard and the price for a regular cup of ice cream (4 small scoops) is $3.00-no tip. A waffle cone is .75 extra. There is free frozen yogurt next to Ben and Jerry's and Sprinkles too! The Frozen Yogurt Flavors are Choc/Vanilla/Swirl and Choc/Strawberry/Swirl. The service at Johnny Rockets wasn't so great. The Coke was horribly and flat. The food was good tho. Great Burgers and BLT's! The Cafe Promenade has great food and Ranger Cookies!!! I will miss those for sure. There is also a bar, coffee drinks to purchase, frozen coke. Seattle's Best Coffee, a large variety of tea's, hot chocolate and water are free. There is free lemonade and iced tea available at many spots around the ship. A glass of soda, from the bar, is $1.44. We did not check into the price of drink cards. It was quite a bit warmer in the Solarium than by the regular pool area. Towels-your seapass acct will be charged $20 per towel if the 2 that you are given at the beginning of the cruise are missing at the end of the cruise. I'm sure there I missed a lot of things so......if you have any questions feel free to ask me. I tried to cover a variety of areas and hope that this review is helpful to many. I apologize for any spelling error that I may have made typing this!!

Navigator of the Seas - Western Caribbean

Navigator of the Seas Cruise Review by CrzLvr509

Tidbits-
Room Service is available 24 hours. You can add your tips to your seapass.
CrzLvr509’s Full Rating Summary