3. Carnival Fascination
This is a review of my cruise onboard the Fascination. Date of Cruise: Feb 17 - 20, 2006 Prior Cruise Experience: Carnival(x1), Princess(x1), Celebrity(x3), RCI(x2) My DD and I attended a conference onboard the Fascination. There were 1200 people in the Conference. The Group was Moms and Daughters, and it was a Getaway Retreat....with Brio Magazine, a product of Focus on the Family. The Conference was AWESOME! Highly recommend it! Pre Cruise: One day in Miami. We booked one night at the Courtyard by Marriott Downtown on Priceline. This is a 2.5 star hotel, by Priceline's standards. We got it for $55.00. At the time I booked it, Travelocity and Courtyard by Marriott were selling it for $189.00 per night. It was a great hotel. For the price we paid, I feel that we really got a good deal. We arrived in Miami late at night and took a taxi to the hotel. The taxi fare was $24.00. The taxi driver was extremely rude. The staff at the Courtyard were exceptional. Everyone. The Courtyard serves a buffet breakfast...which was $10.98 per person. We did this...and it was very good. However, there is a bakery about 2 minutes from the hotel, with tables and chairs, etc...After I saw it, I wished that we had spent half the money and gone there. There is also a Walgreens within walking distance. Embarkation: We arrive at the pier at 11:15 am. The staff at the Pier were exceptional. And, everything was very organized. I am impressed, Carnival. Because we had priority check in... (Skipper Club?) (because we have booked a suite?), they take us to a room (office) to process our paperwork. This was quite nice and I had not experienced it on any other line that I have sailed on. Within 5 minutes, we head out to get our cabin keys. We are boarding the ship at 11:45 am, with the first group of 50 to board the ship. The Cabin, our Category 12 Suite is ready for us. (#U104) This is basically a large cabin, with a nice sized balcony. No other whistles and bells. The tub/shower was very dark. The lights over the tub did not work. The tub reminded me of a handicapped tub/shower that I had experienced at a relative's house when I was a child. I am 5'6" and the ceiling in the tub was very close to my head. Showering was never a pleasant experience. There was an odor coming from the toilet, when the lid was open. Pretty significant wear and tear throughout the suite. The curtains were broke. The linens appeared to be fairly new and they were very nice and comfortable. They were all white. The beds were comfortable to sleep in. A large enough walk in closet. Two nice robes, for our use during the cruise. A TV, with VCR. The Ship: We left the Port of Miami @ 4:30 pm. The Fascination is small, dark and unimpressive. The pool area is very unattractive. The wood deck is in great need of treatment. The dining room service/food: The staff was very nice, but lacked the training that I have experienced on other lines. We were offered bread only one time during dinner each night. Dirty plates sat in front of us for a very long time before being picked up. Food was ok. Presentation was ok. I would categorize the food as what I might find in a diner. In fact, the dining room looked like a diner. Many of the "tables" were booths. Lots of blinking lights. The Cabin Attendant: The cabin was always cleaned well. However, please do not ask me if I would like to have my cabin cleaned. I do not think that was very professional. The breakfast room service menu was never put in our cabin. My friend sailing in another cabin, ordered breakfast with this form one evening...and the breakfast never showed up the following morning. Twice, he came knocking on the door....and when my DD opened the door, he said "Oh"...and walked away. Just evidence of lack of training. Room Service: A really nice selection! We ordered several things throughout the weekend. An excellent fajita wrap. Also...a great shrimp sandwich ! Shows: We did watch one of the shows in the Theatre, with the Fascination Dancers. We left halfway through the show...as the costumes, words to the music and dance gestures were very sexual in nature and it was not what we wanted to lay our eyes on. I had experienced this very thing on one other Carnival cruise I had sailed on. We saw many, many, many folks walking out of the theatre before we did. Needless to say, we did not attend any more shows onboard. The Laundry: On the Saturday of the cruise....they advertised a $15.00 fee to clean a bag of clothes. This was a special. I did not do this....but I did send out a pair of pants to be laundered. They were not returned to me. Late in the night, before Disembarkation morning, I called the Information Desk and inquired about my pants. They searched and found them....and brought them to my cabin. The Port of Nassau: Only one port on this three night itinerary. We had booked a room at the Comfort Suites, for the purpose of having access to the Atlantis facilities. The room at CS was $200 plus fees & taxes. Came to $250.00. With the room, you get access for FOUR people to the Atlantis. The Atlantis is right across the street. Paradise Island is beautiful! The Atlantis is Grandiose! My goodness. Accommodations for thousands...on site. The facility is very large and had large amounts of guests. We stayed at the beach for about an hour. We drank a banana drink prepared from the juice of a coconut...which was cracked open in our presence. So cool. So delicious. The cost for this drink: $7.00 Includes a free refill. We visited the aquarium, waterslide, lagoon (snorkeling), etc... There is a great area where many stingrays & sharks reside. We watched an employee feeding them. Really cool. It was a good day at the Atlantis. The taxi ride from the ship to the Comfort Suite was $4.00 per person, each way. There is a $1.00 bridge toll (over to paradise Island) that you pay only going over to the Island. If you are planning on visiting the Atlantis, I would recommend contacting the hotel ahead of time...and requesting a map to the grounds. It's huge. ALL of the local Bahamas folks that we encountered were very nice!! This was very nice to experience. We head to find a taxi to take us to the Straw market for some shopping before heading to the ship. Great little bargains at the Straw Market. Lots of fake purses. Lots of straw items. Lots of kids...begging you to buy their little products. If you will be visiting this area, I would recommend you bring along a few child items in your purse. The children would have been delighted to receive such things. Final Comments: Unfortunately, I am unable to recommend the Fascination or Carnival Cruiseline to anyone. Everything about the ship and the service was mediocre. This was the second experience I have had like this on Carnival. Why settle for mediocre, when there are better choices out there?

Carnival Fascination - Bahamas

Carnival Fascination Cruise Review by Jill

• Sail Date: February 2006
  • Destination: Bahamas
This is a review of my cruise onboard the Fascination.
Date of Cruise: Feb 17 - 20, 2006
Prior Cruise Experience: Carnival(x1), Princess(x1), Celebrity(x3), RCI(x2)
The staff at the Courtyard were exceptional. Everyone.
There is also a Walgreens within walking distance.
There was an odor coming from the toilet, when the lid was open.
The Ship: We left the Port of Miami @ 4:30 pm.
Food was ok. Presentation was ok.
Just evidence of lack of training.
I had experienced this very thing on one other Carnival cruise I had sailed on.
We saw many, many, many folks walking out of the theatre before we did.
Needless to say, we did not attend any more shows onboard.
It was a good day at the Atlantis.
Final Comments:
Why settle for mediocre, when there are better choices out there?
Jill’s Full Rating Summary