3. Navigator of the Seas
My family and I cruised on the Navigator of the Seas on June 3-10, 2006 to the Eastern Caribbean. We went to San Juan, St. Thomas, St. Maarten, and Nassau, Bahamas. We flew into Miami the day of the cruise and made it to the ship with plently of time to spare and since we had a grand suite, we had priority boarding and the whole process took about 5 minutes. We went to our room and it appeared to be clean, just a small bug on one of the life vests. We thought nothing of it, I will discuss this later. We left Miami 45 minutes late, still don't know why that was. We did get to see the Freedom though. Dinner every night was fabulous, we had the greatest waitors and service, even though they were a little difficult to understand. This was definitly a highlight of the entire experience. The food was also pretty good too. The Windjammer food never was really that great so I opted to go to Johnny Rockets many times, which was really good! They would sing and dance and the milkshakes were very good. The entertainment seemed to be better on our last cruise. One of the shows was supposed to be rockin' through the ages, and ended up being a tribute to the Backstreet Boys and Madonna. My grandma did not enjoy that show one bit. The farewell show was hilarious. The guy from Argentina with the balls on strings was great. The man who sang the Happy Days song's show seemed disorganized and the song choices weren't great. The ports were ok. San Juan we just took a tour. Kind of interesting. St. Thomsas was nice. We went to Magen's Bay for the day. In St. Maarten we did the dolphin discovery swim and even though the boat ride there was rough, it was a GREAT experience. Truly once in a lifetime. Mead's Bay was the most beautiful beach I have ever seen. The Bahamas wasn't as cool as I thought it would be. We were stuck on an overcrowded ferry to Atlantis that I thought for sure would tip over. And the weather was terrible that day. Rainy and VERY humid. Now back to that bug we first saw on the first day...this definitely ruined our whole trip. I should tell you that we were in grand suite 1248. DON'T STAY IN THAT ROOM! Just a word of warning, even though I'm sure it's not just that room. I'll explain. The first night my mom and I discovered a few little black spots on our sheets, and we thought it was ink, or permanent marker, and didn't think much of it. Every night the black spots seemed to increase in distribution. Then they started to look like dried blood, which began to scare us. One night I woke up with a bug on my arm. I flicked it away and couldn't sleep the rest of the night. We also saw these bugs on the curtains. I thought the bugs lived on there so I tried to pull my bed away from them. There was a bug in my bed every night. I also had these bites on my legs, but I thought they were mosquitoes. We still didn't know what was going on in that room. The final day of the cruise came and we were sad but ready to leave. We got all packed and put our suitcases out at around 11 and we got lavender color tags, 7:30-8 I think. Customs took FOREVER. Well, the line did. The actual process when were actually at the desk took 2 min or less. We got home and were unpacking when we found one of the bugs from the room on a pair of my brothers shorts. Then it ALL came together. These were BED BUGS!!! GROSS!!! And those black spots that we slept on were their excriment. We looked up bed bugs on the internet and they were the exact bugs that we had seen on the life vest the very first day. My mom is now covered in red bites. We had to get rid of clothes, luggage, and shoes to make sure our house doesn't get infested. We are being very careful. I just hope that this doesn't have to happen to anyone else and if you see any of the signs ask to change rooms IMMEDIATELY. Once they infest they are very hard to get rid of, and I would hate others to become infested too. I just can't believe we didn't see the signs, I didn't even know what bed bugs were. Our stateroom attendant must have seen the bugs when he changed the sheets. Now thinking back to it, he never would even look at us in the eye, he never spoke to us. Royal Caribbean must know and something has to be done. Before they know it the entire ship will be infested and then the problem will be even worse. I hope something is done.

Navigator of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean