3. Norwegian Dawn
Overall I had a wonderful wonderful cruise. I have no regrets sailing NCL and the Dawn is a beautiful clean ship. Overall the food was reasonable and save for a dud cabin steward service was good. The freestyle option was great.. I was able to totally relax and managed to leave behind all my cares and worries and to me that defines a vacation. Nonetheless there are issues that had the potential to significantly detract from our vacation and there is no doubt that over the years as cruising gains in popularity the lines have realized that they need to deliver less and less to the cruising public and clearly more and more is being cut from the quality product that was cruising. This is true among all lines and NCL is no different. We were booked on the Norwegian Dawn out of NYC on May 13  May 20, 2006 Embarkation: An absolute dream. Arrived at around 12pm and we were literally in the atrium within 30 mins. With one ship in port (aside from Freedom of the Seas) there was no traffic and no fuss and I could not have asked for an easier or more hassle free process. Whether that was NCL, P&O ports or NYC my hats off to them all. Entertainment: Superb. The shows were incredible and featured a hypnotist (Dr Trance) who had a G rated and then a PG-17 show both of which were hysterical. The comedian/magician was excellent and the ships on board entertainment crew were very good. The cruise director was superb although on the last night learned unfortunately that his nephew was sick and had to leave the next day to Australia. Drinks and drink selections The daily drinks were a little on the pricey side esp when given in a souvenir glass that you dont really want. One of the bar servers offered me the option of the souvenir cup but most just brought it anyway. The standard drink menu though was very reasonable in pricing and very broad in options. I did not get a soda card but found the sodas very reasonable in price. Kids Crew Excellent, kids loved it and did not want to leave at the end of each session. The kept them well entertained and made it special for them. It would be nice though if the port hours were better. The kids pool was excellent although a couple of times parents had to intervene when older teens got rowdy and put the little kids at risk. It really should be NCL that polices that an not a parent. Kids menu was great and the Kids cafe is a really nice touch Ports of call. Nice choices although the hours slated for Nassau do not allow any real sightseeing. The ship arrives at 8pm and leaves at 11:30am the next morning. Great if you are an all night casino fan; lousy if you want to do something beachy. We had to miss the private Island, which was disappointing, but to stay would have been crazy given the weather. It seems that most passengers accepted the captains decision in good faith and I heard little in the way of grumbling. Cabin: This was my biggest issue: The cabin in general a minisuite (11100) was attractive and well laid out. The separate toilet and bath were a nice feature and the walk in closet like wise a nice feature (walk in if you are not a 6 footer). It is somewhat deceiving in calling it a mini suite as the reality is that it is no bigger than RCLs D1 category balcony cabin or Disney's standard cabin and in truth if you are two adults and two kids, a minisuite is the cheapest balconied option. Had it not been for the CC boards I would never have known that we had the services of a concierge and his cards introducing his services to us only arrived on day 3. Our cabin steward was lousy and that is the best word I can find to describe him. On our arrival I opened the coffee maker to find the last guests coffee sachet still in the brewer and the coffee jug dirty. The lasts guests pacifier was on the counter and the draws featured a bathing suite also from the last guest. The bathroom featured a razor from the last guest as well. Now whilst I do not for a moment believe that I am the first occupant of any room I like to forget that my cabin has been used by thousands before me and generally a clean cabin goes a long way to making me forget that. When however the personal effects of the previous guests are staring you in the face it is harder to forget that fact. I like to believe and I hope and pray that at least the sheets and comforter cover were changed. Both of these were not changed at all during the cruise and whilst I dont think that they need to be changed daily a midweek change would have been nice. The pillow covers all had little fluff balls on them suggesting their age. The ice bucket had grime on it and dried milk was streaked down the cabinet. The rest of the ship was immaculate and so I have to believe that my cabin was just the victim of a very lazy Steward. The cabin service the remainder of the week was mediocre at best. He made one towel animal  a feature, which my kids love and missed and did a mediocre job of organizing. Smoking: I know that this is an emotional issue but cruise lines need to wake up. The reality is that more and more US cities are becoming smoke free and with little debate as to the dangers of second hand smoke I wonder why ships are so slow in banning smoking in common areas. I am happy to say that I can, as a combined resident of NYC and NJ, go for days without even smelling the waft of smoke and yet on vacation I have to be affronted by it at every turn. I do not want to deprive the smokers of their rights but we have rights as well and my right not to have to come out of a public gathering coughing, choked up and smelling is something that NCL and others ignore. I wanted to go to the art auction but within 15 mins of getting my paddle and tagging pictures the smoke arrived. No matter where I moved there was smoke following me. The result was that I left the auction. Now believe me I was not planning on buying a 60K Chagall but at the same time I usually spend a couple of K on artwork  on this cruise I did not. Then off to the casino and here again I was affronted with the smell and so I left  here again NCL lost out on my donation. If NCL wants to do the right thing they should make a couple of bars smoking bars and the rest non smoking and any bar that is being used for a public gathering like lecture or auction should be non smoking. The casino should likewise have a smoking and non-smoking section. I at least could leave the poor croupiers have no choice but to suck up the smoke into their lungs all night. It always amazes me that if I went around passing gas I would be considered socially inappropriate and yet smoking is not  funny as natural gas does not destroy the lungs or permeate your clothing and yet cigarette smoke does Food: At the outset let me say that I dont buy the fact that because a cruise is preparing for 2000 3000 odd souls that we should have to put up with poor food quality. All of us that cruised in the height of the golden age (7-10 years ago) know that even then the ships were almost as big and the food choices were superb and quality was excellent. I also dont think that after paying the prices that some of us are paying for cruises that we should have to pay a further 80 dollars for a family of four to have to go to a pay restaurant for a decent meal. Having said that I found the food on NCL Dawn to be the ultimate paradox. Dishes that are usually difficult to do well were done superbly an (vegetarian curry choices, chicken Tikka, Tuna tartar and a host of others), and dishes that should be a cinch to carry out were a dismal failure (pasta with marinara sauce, in fact most pasta choices were overdone and devoid of taste). Overall I would say that 30% of the food was excellent; 40 good and 30% really bad. The barbecue was very disappointing as on the first day they had chicken and ribs and every barbecue thereafter was hot dogs and hamburgers only (I stand corrected  one day there was a paella.) The desserts at dinner were mostly very good but the ones at the buffet and chocolate buffet were mostly tasteless although they looked amazing. The buffet I see gets a lot of complaints but I was impressed with it. The hours were very user friendly and between the Deli, the pizza, the make your own soup, the vegetarian curries and then the regular food the selection was excellent. Since the buffet food invariably sits out longer it naturally is going to be a little less gourmet and a little overdone than restaurant food. When compared with a recent Disney cruise I would say that Disney had more interesting options but the quality and taste was better on the dawn. Disembarkation: As much as a dream embarkation was so disembarkation was a nightmare. Granted there were three ships in port that day but I was led to believe that free style allowed a leisurely breakfast and then disembarkation at your leisure &NOT&. breakfast was cleared by 9:30 am and by the time our color was called was 11:45 am. Let me repeat again -- Despite all I had a wonderful wonderful cruise. I have no regrets sailing NCL and the Dawn is a beautiful clean ship. Overall the food was reasonable and save for a dud cabin steward service was good. The freestyle option was great. My next cruise is on RCL EOS and then FOS and I am looking forward to both.

Norwegian Dawn - Bermuda