3. Norwegian Dawn
I have just come back from my 3rd cruise in the last 4 years. This time I chose the Norwegian Dawn sailing out of NY to the Eastern Caribbean. I chose this cruise based on its itinerary, price and port location. We once again flew on points and Florida was once again not an option. If you are in Canada and you want to use Aeroplan, you need to reserve your Florida tickets months in advance. I did my booking a month before the sailing date, and there were only 80 cabins available at that time. This review will also be a comparison to my other cruising experiences on Carnival and Princess. When I say we, I am referring to my wife and I. We are both in our early 30s. CRUISE INFO -- Norwegian Dawn  11-day Eastern Caribbean out of Manhattan, NY. Sailing date: April 26th. 2006  May 6th, 2006. Ports  St. Thomas, Tortola, St. Maarten, San Juan, Dominican Republic. EMBARKATION -- We got to the pier between 11-11:30am. Someone took our luggage and then we went into the middle room to wait for the ship to start boarding. There were rows of chairs, and they told us to sit in the first seat available since they would be letting us in one row at a time. We were in the 4th row. They started around 12:30pm with the Latitude members (previous Norwegian customers), and then they let the rest of us go in, starting from front to back. We cleared security and then Americans and foreigners were put into different lines for registering. The process went smoothly and didnt take long. I have no complaints for the embarkation process on any of the cruises I have taken. My cruise out of Florida on Princess was by far the fastest and most organized of the 3. THE SHIP -- When deciding on what cruise to book, I had my heart set on trying a different cruise line with a fairly new ship. I chose the Dawn because it was the only ship which fit this scenario and which met my needs as far as the date/budget/itinerary were concerned. In trying to recreate their image, Norwegian is now known as the FREESTYLE CRUISING line. Freestyle cruising means that you do not need to have a set seating time to eat in the dining rooms, and there are other restaurant options available. They also make it seem that you can dress however you like  which is not true. The layout of the ship is different than most ships because there are restaurants scattered throughout the ship. I will talk more about the restaurants and freestyle cruising in my food section. The ship was kept very clean and there are hand cleaner devices all over the ship. It has all the normal amenities that you would expect to find. I have 2 complaints about the layout of the ship  the location of my room, which I will write about in the stateroom section, and the fact that there is only 1 outdoor pool for adults. Why they would build a ship with a capacity over 2000 with only 1 pool I do not know. There are actually 3 pools on the ship  the main pool, a kids pool and an indoor heated pool in the spa. This cruise made me fully appreciate the Grand Princess, which has 4 outdoor fresh water pools! This cruise had a lot of smokers, and they even push it by having a cigar lounge. I dont remember being bothered by smoking on my other cruises, but on this one there were people smoking all around the pool. THE STATEROOM -- We had booked a guaranteed outdoor cabin and ended up in stateroom 8120, which is an obstructed view. There is a tender right below the window, but you can still see out perfectly. The room was small, but the bathroom was large. The bathrooms are smaller in an inside cabin. The cabin had 2 beds, which we moved together. There was a TV with several cruise information channels, CNN, ESPN, TNT and 2 movie channels. There was safe and mini-bar, plenty of space for your clothes, and a narrow area with a table and desk with a mirror, which has a hair dryer. Out of the 3 cruises I have taken, the best stateroom was on Carnival. There is a specialty restaurant called Salsa on the Deck 8. My stateroom was right across from the kitchen. Besides the noise that I was able to hear through the door and walls, there are also connecting pipes in the ceiling. There was always noise in my cabin and it kept me up at night and sometimes woke me up very early. I would assume that this was the worst stateroom on the ship and I complained about it. It should not be sold to guests. If you go on this ship, make sure that you do not end up in cabin 8120 !!! THE STAFF -- The staff was friendly and we did not have any problems with anyone. They kept the ship extremely clean, and they were quite visible. Our room steward did a good job keeping our room clean. Unlike regular cruising where you have set seatings and always have the same dining staff, freestyle cruising means that the staff are not always in the same location and you frequently end up with someone different - This takes away from the experience in my opinion. The dining staff does not get a chance to know your habits, so they cannot go out of their way to treat you special. The crew is multicultural; I saw mainly Filipinos and Romanians. At first I was not a fan of the British cruise director because he made fun of a mans chest size during a pool event. I found his comment to be mean spirited and unprofessional. From that point on, my opinion changed for the better, he did not make any such comments, and he showed that he was quick on his feet and actually quite witty. Except for that 1 comment, I think he did a good job. His staff was ok, but nothing special. I did not see the same energy from them that he had. THE FOOD -- The ship has 3 dining rooms, 2 free specialty restaurants, 3 pay restaurants, a free 24hr snack bar type of restaurant, the buffet area, a grill, and 24hr room service. - Breakfast You had the choice of room service, 1 of the dining rooms or the buffet. We always had the buffet. It consisted of all the same foods that you would get on any ship. Besides the standard fare pre-cooked items, there was a guy making eggs/omelets, someone making waffles and someone making toast on various types of breads. I enjoyed an omelet everyday  not good for the cholesterol, but on vacation there are no rules :) - Lunch You had the same options for lunch, and there was also a grill where you could get fresh burgers. We always ate at the buffet. There are 2 areas that each has 3 sections. Out of the 6 total sections, there was 1 which always consisted of burgers, hot-dogs, sausages, cold meats (turkey, pastrami, ham) which could be heated, and fries. The other sections all had the same food except for 1 vegetarian section which had the non-meat items available elsewhere and some other vegetarian dishes. There is also a kids area which always had burgers, hot-dogs and pasta. - Dinner For dinner everything was available. There are 3 dining rooms which all have the same menu. 1 Side of the buffet is converted into an Italian restaurant, which requires a reservation but has no cover. There is a Mexican restaurant on Deck 8, which requires a reservation but no cover. There are 3 restaurants that require reservations, have cover charges and some a la carte specials as well. These consist of a steak house, a French restaurant and a Japanese/Sushi restaurant. We ate in the dining rooms, buffet, Italian and Mexican restaurants. We did not try any of the pay restaurants. The menus in the dinning room and the buffet items changed daily, but the specialty restaurants had set menus that did not. We found the dinning room selection and taste to be mediocre. I found the buffet to be more enjoyable than my previous cruises, but on those cruises I ate mainly in the dining room where the food was better. The Italian restaurant was ok, but not good enough to get us to make a 2nd reservation. The Mexican restaurant was our favorite. Located on deck 8, it is not near anything else and has the best atmosphere. We enjoyed the food and service, and if you were seated on the inside, you were overlooking the atrium where you could people watch or enjoy the band that played right below on the 7th floor. Room service consisted of easy items such as burgers, hot-dogs and sandwiches. There is a 24hr snack bar that also serves hot-dogs, burgers, chicken wings, chicken fingers, fries, club sandwiches, soups, and a few other items. The area of the buffet that served the burgers and sandwiches for lunch, reopened at 9:30pm for a couple of hours. There is no midnight buffet, and if you are looking for something to eat after 10pm, your options are limited to fast food. If this was my first cruise, my opinion of the food taste/quality would be the same, but having nothing to compare it to, it would not be a negative. The dining on Princess was in a totally different league. Freestyle cruising realities  You can wear whatever you want in the buffet or the 24hr snack bar. After 5:30pm, all of the other restaurants and the dinning rooms have the same rules  business casual, men have to wear pants. Only in the Italian restaurant are you allowed to wear jeans. They advertise as if they follow more casual rules than other cruise lines, but in reality the rules are quite similar. DRINKS -- The Coke card for unlimited soda is $60. I found this to be very expensive, so I did not buy one. Coffee, tea, milk, water and iced tea are always available from machines in the buffet area. For breakfast there is also orange, apple and cranberry juice. Alcohol is always being sold and you get asked every couple of minutes near the pool if you want bar service. They even push it during breakfast for a cheaper price  GROSS! ENTERTAINMENT -- In general the entertainment was pretty good. There were 2 Vegas style shows, the first showing a lot of skill without being very entertaining, the second being much better. There was a magician, a couple of comedians, improve, TV style game shows involving the guests and crew, Karaoke, bingo, live music, a talent show, casino challenges, a deck party, seminars, etc. It would have been nice if they would of done more activities around the pool during the at sea days. DEBARKATION -- Unlike our last cruise in NY, we were not allowed to take our luggage with us and leave the ship as soon as it was cleared by customs. There is a new rule in place that only allows Americans to do that. We had to have our luggage packed and picked up the night before, and then we had to wait until our assigned color was called. We then had to clear customs and then pick up our luggage, which was waiting for us on the pier. Our color was the last to be called, so we had to wait quite a bit of time, but it wasnt bad because we were still allowed to go all over the ship as we pleased. The bad part was clearing customs, all foreigners needed to go into the same line, and there were only 6 agents clearing us. We waited in line for almost an hour before getting our luggage and getting a cab. This was by far the worst debarkation experience for us. PORTS -- Our main goal for this vacation was to relax and get some sun, so we did not book any excursions. - St Thomas The dock is right in front of a shopping area, which has mainly duty-free jewelry shops. The most popular beach is Megans beach, which is rated as one of the top beaches in the world. We did not go to it, because it would of cost $32 for the taxi ride, and another $6 to get on the beach (for 2 people). At this point in the vacation, I was kind of stingy and didnt want to spend a lot of money, but looking back on it, I wish that I had because I only heard great things about it. - Tortola The ship docks in front of an area filled with Taxis. We paid $24 to take a taxi to a beach on the other side of the island. The beach was free, had white sand, and the water was warm. - St Maarten This island is split into 2 sections, the French side and the Dutch side. The ship docks on the Dutch side, and is about a 10-20 minute walk from the closest beach and the shops. We paid $10 for an all day pass for a water taxi, which saved us the walking. There are a lot of duty-free jewelry stores, and we spent most of the day on the closest beach. The water was nice and warm, but the sand is mixed with broken shells and there is seaweed that has washed on the shore. I heard that the French side was nicer, but we did not go there. - San Juan The ship docks in Old San Juan. This stop is different that all the others because you are actually in a real city and not an island resort. We did a lot of walking and picture taking, and bought some jewelry in their duty-free shops. The weather is unpredictable in this area, and we were lucky that we got out early, as it started raining shortly after we got back on the ship. - Dominican Republic The ship anchors outside of an area called Samana. You need to use the tenders to get to land. When you get off the tenders, you get bombarded by pushy locals offering to take you to the beach. The closest beach is a 30 min taxi ride away, or you can take a boat to an island beach. The locals ask for a lot of money and you cannot trust them. They will not take no for an answer, and will follow you wherever you go. There is a little shopping area where you can buy some local junk. This port was awful and I heard nothing but complaints from everyone. After being pestered by the locals for about 5 minutes, we got back on the tender and went back to the ship. To make things worse, the ship offered a 4.5hr beach excursion for $29/person. I only came across 1 couple that took it. It would have been great had the cruise staff warned us of what to expect and pushed their own excursion. It was terribly disappointing, especially when you consider that we were supposed to go to their private island initially. CONCLUSION -- This vacation can be looked at through both a positive and/or a negative point of view. Our main goal was to get away, get some sun, and relax  mission accomplished. I had a positive attitude throughout my vacation and I didnt let anything change that. Now that I am writing this review, I am seeing the vacation in a different light and it looks very negative. My advice for people looking for a cruise vacation is this: Do your research, read reviews, and make a decision that fits the situation that you are in at that point. Even with all the negatives, I still enjoyed almost every minute of it. I would not recommend this ship to people who have the option of going on other lines such as Princess or Royal, but if you have restrictions such as airfare, starting location, budget, etc  it can still be a great vacation. Looking back at my 3 cruises on the Grand Princess, the Carnival Pride, and the Norwegian Dawn; I now have a much bigger appreciation for Princess. Besides the stateroom that we had on Carnival being the best of the 3, EVERYTHING ELSE was better on Princess. TIPS - If you are worried about motion sickness, buy the patch. We hit a bad storm on our 1st day at sea, and people were getting sick throughout the ship. - Dont forget the sunscreen  we got burnt as usual, even with SPF70 - I recommend the Mexican restaurant called SALSA. Make your reservations early. - If you want to go to the beaches, make sure you have cash for the taxis - If you are stopping in Samana and you want to go to the beach, sign up for the beach excursion through the ship. - If you are interested in jewelry, price out what you want before you leave, and then be sure to get a deal on the islands.

Norwegian Dawn - Eastern Caribbean