3. Norwegian Dawn
Hate to start out on a negative note but I really wasn't impressed with the Dawn. Embarkation-Inside the terminal could definitely use some sprucing up. Not colorful or inviting at all. NCL workers that you met as soon as you entered the terminal were not friendly at all. When we asked where to go we were ignored. Finally we just followed the crowd. There were 2 lines and one seemed to be moving faster than the other. Of course an NCL employee showed up just in time to usher us into the line that was not moving!! We realized after standing in line for 15 minutes that they take turns, one line than the other. That was fine but an explanation would have been nice instead of telling us 'you have to go in that line' when we asked if there was a difference. The lines did move fairly quickly and the NCL employees up at the desk to check in and give our credit card info and get our keycard and picture were very nice. Too bad our first impression was the employees with the bad attitude!! On a positive note it was great that we could just drive to the terminal and didn't have to fly. Cabins-The smallest we have been in (we have bed on Disney -huge rooms and Royal Caribbean). Never were introduced to our cabin stewards couldn't even tell you who they were. I did ask 2 different workers that were in the hall on 2 different occasions for items for the room since we didn't know who ours were. Drinking glasses were never changed just new papers were put on top to make them look replaced. NEVER RECEIVED A TOWEL ANIMAL IN EITHER OF OUR 2 ROOMS!!! Not that it would make or break the cruise but we used to rush back to the room to see what we got on the other cruises. I think we should have gotten at least 1 ...other cabins got them. On a positive note the showers were spacious and the hairdryer was great. The beds were very comfortable. Food...Nothing to brag about.. Can't understand why in the main restaurants the menus sound so fancy for a cruise that is freestyle and casual. They don't go together. Also the 3 main restaurants Venetian, Impressions and Aqua have the same exact menus, Just the decor is different. Wasn't able to make reservations in any of the pay restaurants since 3 days into the cruise they were booked for a party of 7!! We dined in the main restaurants every night and the waiters had really bad attitudes except for one, Judith, in the Venetian was great. She was helpful, friendly and funny. Too bad we found her the last night because I really would have requested her if I had known earlier. Entertainment..Cruise director Matt Baker was GREAT!! He made the cruise fun!! Shows were good some better than others. Bingo took way too long to get started. I thought it was just the first time but i stopped in at other times to check and on the average they didn't start selling the cards until at least 1/2 an hour after bingo started. It was a waste of time spent waiting for them to get started. Shore Excursions...Booked ourselves.. Magen's Bay in St. Thomas beautiful. Tortola -- took Speedys ferry to Virgin Gorda-the Baths. What can I say it was beautiful!! Dawn Beach in St. Maarten absolutely the best time and beach on the whole cruise. Everyone we came in contact with on St Maarten was wonderful and helpful and appreciative. Would definitely go back there. Service.....Not sure if it is because the tips ($10.00 service charge) is included or not but I felt the service just wasn't anywhere as good as the other 2 cruises we have gone on. The waiters in the dining room were actually nasty at times and we felt like we were bothering them. I have to say the Hostesses in all 3 main rests were very nice. Maybe the waiters were just overworked. It must be harder if people can arrive at any time instead of just 2 separate seatings at certain times. We did come across many people that were very happy and friendly like when we were just walking down the hall other room stewards would say hi or when we were on the decks. The people at the service desk were always friendly. Don't want to discourage anyone we did have a great time but it was mostly because we had a great group of people we were with! The ship itself was beautiful and seemed to be well taken care of. Not sure if I would book NCL again. I still think they need to improve their customer service and their food.

Norwegian Dawn - Eastern Caribbean