3. Oosterdam
This was my 10th cruise, 1st on Holland America. I have been on Norwegian, Carnival and Royal Caribbean. I am 38, my husband is 46. On this cruise, we travelled with a group of 34 people (for my sister's wedding) ranging in age from late 20s to mid 60s. We arrived in San Diego the day of the cruise. The port is only minutes away from the airport, which was nice. Embarkation was very quick and pleasant. We arrived on the ship early and were not allowed to go to our cabins, but were shown to the buffet where we had lunch. Our cabin was a balcony. The size was comparable to all other lines. I liked that the bathroom had a bath/shower combo. Dining was good. We ate in the main dining room all but 2 nights. We had two dinners in the specialty restaurant, The Pinnacle. Excellent food and service in The Pinnacle. When comparing this ship to others I have been on, I didn't think that it measured up in terms of activities or entertainment. They seem to cater to the older crowd and by 10pm, the ship is very quiet. The younger people in our group managed to make their own fun by whooping it up at Northern Lights - the disco next to the casino. The ports were Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta. Cabo was our first stop. It is beautiful! We went to the beach in the morning and attended my sister's wedding on Pedgral Beach in the afternoon. I experienced Stone Island beach on Mazatlan which was AWFUL! It was dirty, the water was muddy, there were dogs running around urinating. Absolute YUCK! Would never go back there. My husband played golf, however, at Estrella Del Mar which he loved. Next stop was Puerto Vallarta, which was awesome. It is so beautiful and there is so much to see and so much to do. A lot of the people on the group did the canopy tour which received great reviews. My husband and I and another couple hired a driver to give us a 3 hour tour to see all the highlights of the area. He charged us $45/per person and it was well worth it. He would have charged us less if we waited for more people to join us in the van, but it is worth it to go with a smaller group. The two days at sea before returning to San Diego were pretty sedate. The weather on the ship was cool and windy. We spent a lot of time in the casino - slots were very tight, blackjack was OK. We had two people in our group win big in craps. Disembarkation was extremely quick. We had originally been given a 10:20am flight back home and changed it because we were afraid it was too early. It would have been no problem at all. We were in the airport by 9:00am. All in all, it was a nice vacation. For my age group, however, I would prefer to stay on Norwegian, Carnival or Royal Caribbean for any future cruises.

Oosterdam - Mexican Riviera