3. Radiance of the Seas
We had a wonderful cruise on Radiance. It was our first time on a Radiance class ship and she did not disappoint. It was my fourth cruise, girlfriend's second, all with RCI. We flew in the day before, stayed at the Radisson downtown where we have stayed before..great views of the port. We spent the afternoon and evening at Bayside. We did not use cruise air or transfers (lesson learned a long time ago). We taxied over to the port about 11:00am...we were onboard in about 10-15 minutes, painless and quick. Our cabin was a JS, deck 10...ready at 1:00pm. We like the JS and the deck, this is what I have booked in the past. What can you say about Radiance class ships, they are, in my opinion, RCI's best effort to date. The crew...from the captain on down, a fine crew and staff. Our cabin steward and wait staff as well as some bartenders were excellent and we noted them by name in the comments. As for the ship, tons of glass offering great views of the ocean from virtually anywhere on board, a beautiful centrum and great public rooms. The upper decks were nicely laid out and tons of fun. The two level dining room is especially attractive and we ate all dinners here except for the night at Chops. The layout in the Windjammer is much more functional and the seating area choices are great. Never got to Seaview Cafe or Portofinos. The food...it is cruise food, it is what it is. Our ports were Labadee (great to walk the whole area). We spent some time at the Artisans building, bought a couple of items. No serious hawking here. Enjoyed lunch and then back on the ship. Next port was Ocho Rios, did the Dunn's River Falls thing (on our own) and then spent some time in Margaritaville :). Up next was the Caymans (never been here before), we wandered around Georgetown, took in the sites and spent some time at Senor Frogs. Next was Cozumel, we DOCKED...great! Still a fair amount of devastation. Played mini-golf (don't ask, just do it), did some shopping and went to both Carlos n Charlies and Senor Frogs :). Entertainment on board was OK, I thought the production shows were better than on Voyager last year. The "brought in" entertainment was also OK. Events that happened...we had a Bravo, Bravo etc. just after muster drill around 4:30. It was a very small fire on deck 1 in one of the crew cabins, I think it was out in under a minute. We couldn't leave Miami until the Coast Guard had done their thing, which was write a report. The report probably took all of 5 minutes to write however it took some time to round up the Coast Guard team, resulting in a departure around 7:30pm...no big deal. We also had an Osca, Oscar etc. the last day (sea day)..no one from the ship, a Cuban floating in what looked like an inner tube raft. The poor guy had been out there for 3 days. According to the announcements he was OK and a Coast Guard cutter took him off the ship about 2 hours later. We normally vacation around the first week of March however this year we had to delay until April. There were a lot of kids and teens on this sailing and the ship's officers, staff and security were pretty busy :). I know of a few teens who will probably never cruise with their parent(s) again :D. One family was put off the ship in Jamaica and many others enjoyed meetings with senior officers. This DID not have any effect on our enjoyment of the cruise rather, it did provide some additional entertainment :). Disembarkation was a breeze, couldn't have gone smoother. No crazy line-ups and everyone seemed to be where they were supposed to be when they were supposed to be. In summary, a great cruise with fantastic weather in calm seas on a truly nice ship...what could be better. Any questions, ask me on the RCI board. I would recommend this ship to anyone.

Radiance of the Seas - Western Caribbean