Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review

Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review by NJCRUISE

• Sail Date: Mar 2006
  • Destination: the Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Mid-Ship Inside

First thing I have to say is that I love cruising. This was my third time but I have to say it was the worst of the three. I will explain the good and bad. Embarking the the ship was easy.

When we got to the cabin the cabin stewardess greeted us. She was very nice throughout the cruise. Ounce in the room we were a little shocked. The room had no crib for our 21 month old daughter. We told the stewardess and she apologized and went to get it from another room. When she brought the crib she put it next to the hair dryer which we thought was very dangers. Then they said what about under the tv. There she would of hit her head. Last was between my wife's bed and mine. With this setup it was almost impossible getting our luggage out which stayed under the bed to have some walking space. My travel agent said that the rooms for three people which I was getting were bigger. This was not true. I went to complain about this but they said there was nothing they can do.

After this we leave the room and go to eat at the Blue Lagoon. The selection was limited and the food was horrible. The burger was dry and tasteless. We never came back hear because they only had burgers, chicken nuggets,fish & chips,and crabcakes. Almost at the end of our meal we had to go to our room for life jackets. An emergency drill was going on. We now go throughout the ship to check everything out.

The ship is very clean, and nice. We find the kids playroom where we wanted our daughter to play. It was closed but it was going to be open the following day. It stated on there brochure that kids must be two without parents supervision or less then two with parents supervision. They didn't let my daughter play in there because she was 21 months and didn't let us in there to supervise her because there were too many kids. We complained about this. They said the director was going to get back to us us. He never did but someone left us a message that there will be a play area in another section of the ship tomorrow and for the rest of the week. It was stated in their daily newspaper that they will have it till 5:00PM. My wife took here there at 3:00PM and the room was closed. My wife asked about it and they said they closed half an our ago due to lack of kids. What a contradiction from one day to another. The whole week they had no play area for my daughter. We went to complain at the main desk and they said someone was going to get back to us. Nobody did! As far as them having extra charge charge activities that was no problem. Art auctions,bingo, drinks were being pushed heavily. We order drinks by the pool side one day and they were $11 each. In their daily paper they posted daily drink specials but they were regular price.

Another thing we really hated is that they call it FreeStyle cruising meaning you can go eat whenever/whatever. More lies by NCL . If you don't make reservation at least 2-3 days ahead of time forget about eating at the specialty restaurants. After the second day there my wife and I were very upset. We didn't want to spend another penny on the ship due to their lack of customer service and organization skills.

I must say that we spent about $250 on drinks on the last ship we went which was Royal Caribbean. We were eating every night at either one of the two main dining rooms which had the same food or Mama's the no charge Italian restaurant. Being on a ship three times I must say this was the worst food. On previous lines the food was gourmet. Eating on the Jewel was like eating at a food chain restaurant. Some examples are like when I ordered prime rib it looked like a steakum on a plate or cocktail shrimp which were so small you had to pick them up whit a spoon. On French night my steak had more veins then meat. There were so many times I saw people sit down, look at the menu get up and leave. The selection, quality, and quantity of food were very poor.

I saw someone on the cruise that was a Lattitude member. This is someone that has taken a previous cruise on NCL. This gentleman told me that when he took his last cruise on NCL to the Panama Canal that everything was first class and this time it was average. He was disappointed with the Jewel. They are very tight. Maybe due to the expense of the ship. I will cruise with with NCL again only if its free. Until then I'm going on Royal Caribbean.

NJCRUISE's Full Rating Summary