3. Carnival Fascination
I decided to post a review since the Fascination seems to be a ghost ship here!!! In overview, it was a great cruise and the service and friendliness of the staff was the best we've received yet. Embarkation - We arrived at the pier around 1:30. It took us about 25-30 minutes in total before we were on the ship. Room - We booked a 4A guarantee and got a 6B - we were happy with that. We got room M261 on Main Deck. It was the next to last room aft of ship. I liked it because you didn't get any hall noise being that far down. To get anywhere on the ship, though, was always a walk (but it kept my weight gain down to 2 1/2 pounds!). We had a problem with the AC on the 1st night and went to the purser's desk to report it. The CSR started to say they are having problems when she was cut off by a senior member who said they would look into it. The next day it was fixed and they called us to ask if we were satisfied with it. It worked great the rest of the cruise, but first night was hell. Just a note - the beds were the worse we've had yet. A women I met in the hot tub said she's taken 13 cruises and this was her most uncomfortable bed - so I guess I wasn't alone in thinking that! Ports - Key West - We booked Jungletours online. We had to take a taxi to Stock Island (next island up on rte 1) - it was $15- to the marina. There we got into a small power boat which fit my DH & I. The guide took us through the mangroves and bays and into an area which had a sunken PT boat. We snorkeled there - equipment was provided. The snorkel was great - lots of fish and DH saw a barracuda! That put him back into the ship real quick. But the guide said not to worry, it was only "Barry"- a regular there. The boat ride was great fun - really fast, you had to wear goggles as water was just gushing onto your face. The tour took 2 1/2 house, was $69pp/adults ($35 children) and we printed out a $10 off coupon online. We only had about 1 hour to shop when we got back to Key West. So we had a quick margarita at Jimmy Buffets, bought a couple of T's and back to the ship. Key West was very charming and next time we'd probably just do some shopping. Cozumel- I had no expectations here. We didn't know anyone who'd been. But boy, we were pleasantly surprised to say the least. We docked at Puerto Maya. The dock area is beautiful -shops, fountains, restaurants.... We were going to rent a jeep, but on the last minute we changed our minds and went to the shore excursion desk to see what they still had open. We picked the Passion Island tour. An air conditioned bus took us to the north part of the island. From there we took a pontoon boat to Passion Island. The beauty of this island is almost beyond words. The sand was powder white and cool on the feet, the water clear and warm with gentle waves. There were lounge chairs and hammocks, volleyball courts. The tour was $69pp which included all you could eat and drink. The food was wonderful, fresh and plentiful -fish, chicken, rice, fruits, salad, salsa, tortilla chips and the best guacamole I ever tasted! The staff was amazing and friendly. They even organized a fun water balloon game for us. We had a great 3 hours on the island and hated to leave!!!! You could be dropped downtown if you liked (many got out at Carlos and Charlies). We opted to go back to the ship for a shower and quick bite, then shopped in the pier area. In the center of the shopping area was a very tall wooden pole in which a Native poll flying ceremony was performed. The flyers dove off this pole tied by their feet - the rope was wrapped around the pole and unwrapped as they spun. Hard to explain, but very mesmerizing. It was clear starry night and hauntingly beautiful with a native playing a flute type instrument. Great cap to a wonderful day. Shows: They were 2 production shows - Broadway and Hollywood. Broadway was the better of the 2, though my DH sure enjoyed the women's costumes on the latter! LOL. We had a great comedian, Happy Cole. If you get a chance to see him, please do. He was hysterical. Tim Harkleroad was the other comedian. We saw the G rated version of him but were too tired for the midnite show. Jokes were very dated, so it didn't peak our interest too much. Of course there was the proverbial juggling act of Manuel Zuniga - same old, same old. CD - This guy, Marahscalh Stanton had the build of Sammy Davis Junior and the comedic timing of Richard Pryor. He was high energy and quite funny. Overall - Had a great cruise. This was a last minute idea of mine after a horrible spring, so it took little convincing for DH to go along. It was just the 2 of us, but we found that the fellow passengers on Carnival were very friendly and met people from all over the states. We did an RCCL cruise just the 2 of us a couple years ago, and didn't find the fellow passengers too friendly. The ship is showing its age, but the service on this ship was extraordinary. Food - was good, but better on the Triumph on our last cruise. And there was a definite lack of chocolate desserts!!! I'd highly recommend this if you're looking for a short getaway and don't want to break the bank. We were supposed to be saving for a big family cruise next year, but hey, once you have the cruise addiction, you sometimes need an in-between cruise cruise!

Carnival Fascination - Western Caribbean