3. Adventure of the Seas
I decided in February that I really needed a cruise. I wanted Southern Caribbean and like RCI, so decided to try AOS.

I am not a Voyager class fan as I prefer my ships on a smaller scale but AOS is big and beautiful. She is immaculate and well laid out with lots of outdoor deck space and lovely public rooms.

My cabin was a Cat. A suite and it was my first experience in such a fabulous cabin. I am Diamond on RCI and there was a basket of fruit, a robe and a welcome note in my cabin when I arrived, all much appreciated. The cabin was very spacious with a nice balcony, walk in closet and large tub. I normally do not spend much time in my stateroom but found myself often taking the time to enjoy early morning coffee and a late lunch on my balcony. What a treat! My cabin attendant was wonderful, one of the best to date.

I am not your typical cruiser so there will be things I cannot comment on as I did not do them. My routine is to hit the gym early, then have breakfast in Windjammer and be out by the pool by 9:00am to spend most of the day there. A glass of wine before dinner and music and dancing afterward and that is my day.

The fitness center is fabulous and was not crowded during the hours I visited. I took some classes which I enjoyed but did not think the $10 surcharge classes were worth the money. I made use of the steam room and sauna every afternoon and was often the only one in there.

I was assigned to a great table with a group of singles traveling together from Boston. I had dinner in the dining room 5 times during the week, enjoying dinner with the hotel manager, cruise director and chief purser one formal night, a special treat. I am a light and healthy eater and found plenty of selections to suit me. Service was very good. Both food and service were much better than on my Voyager cruise in 2001.

I dined in Portofino one evening and it was really lovely. Tableside preparation, a wonderful menu and the intimate atmosphere all enhanced the high quality of the food. It was fun to see everyone so elegantly dresses and enjoying Portofino's as a special occasion.

I chose Windjammer for breakfast each morning and most afternoons had lunch there as well. There was a good variety of choices and always fresh fruit, coffee and tea available.

My favorite lounge on all the RCI ships is the Champagne Bar so that is where I began and typically ended my evenings.

There was plenty of entertainment on board. I did not see any of the shows as I am not a show person so cannot comment on the quality. I heard raves about the ice show and did have tickets but never made it.

The Royal Promenade was always busy and there was a nice choice of live music. The disco was very high tech but this cruise had a fairly quiet crowd so there was not often a lot going on there except on formal nights when people tended to stay up later.

I had visited all the ports previously and knew what I wanted to do so I headed for Eagle Beach in Aruba, shopping and beach in St. Maarten, downtown walking in Curacao and Coki beach in St. Thomas.

All in all, it was a very enjoyable cruise. March is usually good sailing weather and this was no exception. I still will choose Radiance class first and Vision second but did very much appreciate the personality and staff aboard AOS and would sail her again if the right opportunity arose.

Adventure of the Seas - Southern Caribbean