Carnival Glory - Eastern Caribbean: Carnival Glory Cruise Review by halohead29

Carnival Glory 5
Member Since 2006
15 Forum Posts

Overall Member Rating

Carnival Glory - Eastern Caribbean

Sail Date: March 2006
Destination: Eastern Caribbean
Embarkation: Port Canaveral (Orlando)
Cruise Review

This was our 8th cruise and first on the Carnival Glory. My husband and I (50ish) came along with a whole gang of oldies cruisers from Pittsburgh.

Embarkation was fairly painless. There were two entrances to the terminal and everyone was going into the closest door but just as we got there a Carnival employee directed us to a second door which had no lines at all. We were checked through with our sign and sail card in about 10 minutes. Took a little longer to get on the ship due to the line for the picture taking. But we were on board before 12:30. Our room was ready so we dumped our carry-ons, changed clothes and headed to the Lido deck. Nothing is better than your first lunch on the Lido deck. After lunch I spent most of the afternoon walking around the ship to become familiar with the surroundings. It pays off later in the week. The lifeboat drill seemed a little longer than it had in the past but it was probably due to the fact our ship was so More large.

We spent our first night on the deck for the first of the deck parties. As deck parties go this one wasnt very crowded, maybe because it was the first night which was a shame because the weather was absolutely gorgeous and our Pittsburgh band was swinging.

CabinWe had a balcony room on the Lido deck. Even though we dont spend a whole lot of time in our room I dont think I could ever sail without a balcony. Being on the Lido deck it didnt take much time to stroll over to the food area, grab some breakfast and eat on our balcony. Didnt see a whole lot of our room steward but our room was always clean and there were no problems so we didnt need to see him. They must have upgraded the bed and bedding. It was so comfortable.

On the shipI thought the Glory was a beautiful ship. The main theme seemed to be colors and the color changing ceilings were wonderful especially the one above the Lobby bar. It wasnt too hard to get around except for the Lobby deck with the galley in the middle. This ship seemed to roll more than most especially the last night at sea. At one point I felt like I was going to roll right out of bed. There was a longer than usual spring break crowd but for the most part well-behaved. We ran into two different 20 something couples who were the nicest people in the world. Who would think 20 somethings and 50 somethings would have so much in common but we did. In fact this ship had some of the nicest, friendliest people weve ever met on board. We didnt see many of the shows because we were enjoying our company. And either there were less children than usual or Camp Carnival was doing a great job with them. They were almost invisible. The slots at the casino seemed quite tight this year. I dont play table games so I dont know how that was.

FoodWe had the 6:15 seating in the upper Golden Dining room. Our waiter team Csaba from Romania and Joey from the Philippines were great. Seems like after the first meal they knew exactly what we wanted. In mid week Joey, the head waiter, became ill and missed a few days so Csaba filled in as head waiter with a helper and even though the service was a little slower those couple days Csaba was still cheerful and helpful. And not once did he forget anything. One of the best food server teams weve ever had. Dining on the Lido deck was as usual. Always had breakfast and lunch there. At times the lines were long especially for the deli but they seemed no longer than usual to me. On the outside area of the Lido deck the breakfast line was much shorter though it didnt have as big a selection as the inner lines there was always enough to choose from. I never encountered a line there. Theyve cut down from buffets every night to just two. One night was a Mexican buffet which was really delicious. The gala buffet was held on the Lido deck again this year and it didnt seem near as elaborate as in years past.

StaffThe Staff seemed especially friendly on this ship. Every staff member we encountered had a smile and a friendly word. On every cruise we seem to run into one of two staff members who seem to wish they werent there but I can say I never ran into any staff who did not seem to enjoy their job. On the night of the gala buffet toward the end I needed some chocolate milk to settle my stomach. Couldnt find any setting out so I ran into Csaba and he found me some and then carried my tray to the table.

ShowsWe didnt attend very many of the shows this year. Caught up with two of the comedians late night R rated shows. Jokes about the ship are always a big hit. Material did get a little raunchy at times so if you are easily offended dont go. I dont mind so I thoroughly enjoyed both shows. Everyone raved about the Marcus Anthony show and I was sorry we missed it.

ClubsDidnt even spend a whole lot of time in the clubs this year. The piano bar was disappointing. The two nights we stopped there didnt particularly like the piano player or the song selection. In talking to other passengers you either liked him or disliked him. The one man band in the casino bar was pretty good. Last night on ship he had some people join him. Spent a lot of time in the casino bar, the Ivory jazz bar or at the Martini bar watching the crowds go by.

BahamasNot one of my favorite places. Big problem was not enough time in port. Ship was there from 8  2 but taking into consideration getting off and on the ship you have maybe 5 hours at the most to enjoy the island. My husband and I usually go off on our own excursions but because of the short time we decided to take one of the ships tours- the Pearl Island Excursion. They had 3 or 4 different tours to the same place such as sting-ray and treasure hunt but we just opted for the minimum snorkeling. The ferry over to Pearl Island was nice. One of the tour people pointed out all the homes of the rich and famous on Paradise Island. But Pearl Island itself was a disappointment. It was quite a small place and with the number of people snorkeling it was quite crowded. So we found a less crowded beach next to the stingrays and just chilled. The water was a little on the cool side for me so didnt even bother to try and snorkel. By the time the tour got back to the ship there was no time at all to check out anything else. I guess the only good thing about having an early departure was the fact we had time to rest a bit before dinner. I found out on these cruises if I can get at least an hour downtime sometime during the day I can usually keep moving until the wee hours of the morning. That night our singing group from Pittsburgh sang some a capella in the main lobby. I guess word had gotten around how good they were so it was standing room only.

Monday was a day at sea which I enjoy as much as some ports. Didnt make it to the deck until after 9:30. By that time the Lido area was full but I found a nice area on the side of deck 10. On other ships if you didnt make it to the deck by 8:00 you were out of luck. That evening we had a private concert in the Ebony lounge with our band from Pittsburgh. But again word had gotten around how good they were and all day other passengers were approaching band members to ask if they could come too and no one was turned away.

St. ThomasI was really looking forward to this port so that we could take the ferry to St. John. Cheapest ships tour to the island was $60.00 per person and I figured we could do it cheaper. Well, things did not work out as planned. Since the last time weve been here US Immigration has imposed a new procedure in which instead of just leaving the ship you need to report to US Immigration with your passport before departing the ship. Early tours were let off first and since we hadnt booked a tour we had to wait for our deck to be called and due to the luck of the draw the day before we were the last deck called. (I later found out from a fellow passenger that he was told even with the immigration everyone would be off the ship by 11:30 and when his deck wasnt called by then he went to the purser to complain and they said he could leave now.)Followed the lines to the immigration check point where they barely looked at our passports before slapping their special sticker on us. Ran back to our rooms to put our passports away and headed off the ship only to run into another line. (If you take the forward elevators instead of the stairs you will save lots of time) By the time we got to taxi stand it was 1:30 (after docking at 10:00). The man at the taxi stand discouraged us from going to St. Johns at that point. Said wed have no time there before having to head on back to the ship. So we decided to take a taxi to Coki Beach. In the cab with us was a young couple from Alabama who were delightful. I was still quite pissed at this point but by the time we got to the beach and I had a couple of bushwackers I gotten back into my happy cruise mode. The water was so beautiful and the temperature more to my liking. We were kept supplied with alcohol by Chris from Michigan who sounded like he was from Australia. He was quite entertaining and made sure we always had a drink. On the way back, much to our surprise was the same couple who had come out with us. We spent a little time walking into some of the shops at the mall by the terminal. But after a day of sitting in the sun sipping bushwackers we were soon ready to head back to the ship.

St. MaartenThis was our favorite place. No immigration crap before getting off the ship. Grabbed a taxi to Orient Beach which is one of the loveliest beaches weve ever been to. Lots of lounges to grab. And even though there were a lot of lounges the beach never seemed too crowded because they were spaced out so well. The only negative thing at all was the number of vendors walking through the crowds. But I just took it as part of the ambience and figured they gotta make a living. We had only planned to spend a couple of hours there but kept putting off leaving until close to 2:00. Had the driver drop us in town and hit a few shops there. This is the place for trinkets. I also heard it was a good place for jewelry and alcohol. Stopped at a little beach bar restaurant for couple beers, ribs and chicken. St. Maarten is one place I would love to spend more time at.

The last two days were sea days. The weather on Thursday was beautiful-sunny and hot. Thursday night our group again had a private party in the Ebony Lounge and even more people attended than the previous show. We were late getting there and were only able to find a booth in the very back. Unfortunately Fridays weather was awful, cool and rainy up until about 2:00 then only partially sunny for the rest of the day. Though it did give me time to explore the inside areas of the ship.

DebarkationAbout average for debarkation. After the self assist passengers our deck was one of the first called. The lines for leaving the ship were long but moved quickly. We had a little trouble finding our luggage because the Lido was in 3 different areas, two of which were not marked.

All and all I would highly recommend the Carnival Glory. With the exception of the St. Thomas the entire cruise was a huge success. Less

Published 04/15/06

Cabin review: 9225

Read more Carnival Glory cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic’s Carnival Glory Review >>

Compare Prices on Carnival Glory Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Member Since 2006
15 Forum Posts
Enrichment Activities
Family & Children
Fitness & Recreation
Onboard Experience
Public Rooms
Shore Excursions
Value for Money
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?
Skip X

See Carnival Glory deals up to 82% off:

September Deals
Carnival Glory 74% Loved It

7 Day Exotic Eastern Caribbean
See all Carnival Glory Deals >>