3. Majesty of the Seas
We sailed on the Majesty of the Seas from September 16-20, 2002. We had a cat K cabin on deck 5 that we were able to upgrade from a Q cabin on deck two a month before the sailing due to a price drop. There were six of us that went and we stayed three to a cabin but it didn't seem very crowded and just reminded me of a college dorm room. We really only were in the cabin to change and sleep other then that we didn't spend much time in our room. We spent a couple of days before the sailing in Miami so we took a cab to the port and arrived around 12:00. Like many other cruisers I am pretty disappointed in the check-in process. Before the security checkpoint there is an area to fill out your documentation before you board but they don't require you to fill it out before you board. Consequently I watched at least a dozen groups of people filling out documentation at the check-in counter wasting my time as they spend 10-15 minutes at the check-in counter. Royal Caribbean should have people check paper work before you get in the check-in line. As a result we spend 45 minutes waiting in line just to check-in. Then to make things worse when my card was printed it was smudged and so the very polite lady at the counter printed up new cards for my wife and me. Unfortunately she didn't activate the card so when we tried to board the ship we were told to go back and stand in the problem line. After wasting another 20 minutes waiting in line to get new cards we finally boarded the ship around 2:00. I was pretty upset by this time with the speed of service from Royal Caribbean but once I boarded the ship everything changed. As we boarded the ship the staff was very pleasant and directed us to the Windjammer for a lunch. We decided to check out our cabin and find the rest of our group and to our surprise our cabin steward was the infamous Raul. What a great cabin steward. He did a first class job of keeping our cabin ready for us and the towel animals were great. After checking out our cabin we decided to eat lunch. The Windjammer is standard buffet fare. Not too bad and with four lines we only had to wait 5 minutes to get through the line. After lunch we decided to get our beverage cards. My wife purchased the unlimited soft drinks, which worked out well except in the Main dining room. She had to get her drinks through the bar so at dinner and lunch our assistant waiter had to find a bar server to get her drinks. Other then that, the drink cards are a pretty good deal. They even have a 10-drink punch card for non-alcoholic drinks that saved some money. One member of our party got the 12 drink card but still ended up getting a few drinks of the day as they were just as cheap as the drinks with the drink card. The muster drill was pretty hot as we were stuck on deck facing the sun but it's a necessity. After watching the ship leave port it was time for us to get ready for dinner. We had the main seating, which is the one thing I would change. Some of our party that had cruised before on Carnival suggest the main seating because when they cruised on Carnival they had second seating and had to wait a couple of times for the previous seating to finish their dinning. The problem I had with the main seating is that first, we almost didn't have our luggage in our room on the first night to change for dinner. I would recommend a carry-on with your dinner attire when you board the ship as we noticed it took some cabins until 8:00 to get their luggage. The other problem with the main dinning is that when we were at ports that left early like Key West we missed watching the departure because we were at dinner and we never saw a sunset as our dinning time was during sunset. The food in the main dinning room was great and we ate every meal there. Our server Onar was excellent and all of our food was as Onar would say, was "crispy". Our assistant waiter Andrea was also very good and even at breakfast and lunch when we had different servers we still had very good service. After dinner we caught the one man show El Gaucho. I had pretty low expectations but was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the shows on board. After the show we checked out some of the lounges and some of our group went dancing and checked out the Karaoke lounge. Tuesday we were in Nassau and instead of booking a tour we found a great tour guide Perry. He gave us a great tour of the Nassau and explained many of the culture history of the Bahamas. He was excellent and not only did he explain the history well, but he dispelled many myths about the culture of the Bahamas and you could tell that he was very proud of his country. Our final stop on the tour was the Atlantis casino, which didn't impress me very much. I've spent a lot of time in Vegas so another mammoth casino isn't very unique to me. After our tour we had lunch on the ship and then walked to the Straw Market. Perry had some good advice about shopping in Nassau. Unless it's made in the Bahamas it's not a good deal. Everything in the Bahamas is subject to high import tax, which is why he said a $14,000 car in the US cost $22,000 in Nassau. As with most tourist areas there is someone trying to sell you something everything you turn a corner. After dinner we watched the musical salute to TV, it was pretty good, just not my cup of tea. Then we decided to venture out again to Nassau and then boarded the ship just before it left. As we were leaving the midnight buffet was in full swing on the pool deck. One thing I was impressed with is that they spread the food out so that everyone didn't have to crowd one area to eat. After the buffet our group decided it was time for more dancing but I just went to sleep. We were pretty lucky on our trip. The weather was great all the time. I was pretty nervous about Coco Cay as I heard many stories about bad weather interrupting the day at Coco Cay. I have my own snorkeling gear so we got off the tender and found a quiet spot on the far side of the island. The snorkeling was great and one lady even reported seeing a sting ray. Two of us literally spent the whole day just snorkeling except for a break for lunch. If you do visit Coco Cay and want some solitude I would walk as far past the main beach areas as possible. We did that, and only had a couple dozen people share our pristine beach. Coco Cay was by far the highlight of the trip. Our final port was Key West. Thanks to a non-US passenger that couldn't be found for two hours no one was allowed to leave the ship until almost noon. Fortunately, we booked an afternoon excursion and the only thing affected was our shopping time. We did the fury catamaran snorkeling trip. After spending a day at Coco Cay this was a let down. Not too many fish to look at. By the time we got back to the dock there was just a little time to shop before the ship departed. Overall I had a great experienced. I used what learned from other reviews to help my cruise go much smoother. If you know what excursions you want to take book them before your cruise on the website. The line at the excursion desk was usually long when it was open. I wouldn't worry about arriving too early to the dock because you'll just be standing in line or waiting until they allow you to board the ship. If you enjoy meeting people always eat in the main dinning room. We wanted to have a table to ourselves so I made sure that we had a group of six on our cruise. Having done the four day cruise, I'm now planning a 7 night cruise with another big group.

Majesty of the Seas - Bahamas